Wallet returned to lady by "kind but poor guy" creates social media interest

webfact

Wallet returned to lady by "kind but poor guy" creates social media interest

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU1OS83Nzk2NzE0LzcuanBn.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported on the case of a Facebook user called "Punnarom" who got her lost wallet back through the post. 

There was a note in the parcel that read in part: "I found this by a wall. I am a good person but I am poor. I would like the cost of a bottle of booze, the postage and my time 200 (baht). 

He signs off with the name "Nuay" after a Thai proverb "pit thong lang phra" (sticking gold on the back of a Buddhist image or "doing good by stealth").

Punnarom was full of praise for Nuay who turns out to be a construction worker who was pouring cement. 

bg.jpg

Picture: Sanook

She didn't make further comment about the 2,000 baht that had been in the wallet along with the Thai ID, ATM cards and credit cards and four lottery tickets that were unsuccessful. 

She just waxed lyrical about encountering Nuay who told her over the phone that he didn't want her to send him money after all - he just wanted 2 bottles of white spirit (lai khao) a drink favored by country folk. 

After her posts on Facebook people were asking for the numbers on the lottery tickets even though they had failed and other numbers that might be auspicious for the next drawing. 

Sources: SanookSanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-10
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Honestly returning lost property is something that happens in places like Japan and Singapore and Taiwan and Korea and many Western countries - - WITHOUT FANFARE. 

That Thais get all excited when someone is honest says alot about the average character of the country. 

Well I guess he said he was poor, and hopefully did not run up the credit cards, so did a good thing

Even in many western countries many would have committed fraud with the cards

13 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Well I guess he said he was poor, and hopefully did not run up the credit cards, so did a good thing

Even in many western countries many would have committed fraud with the cards

In any country a bad thing could have happened. I think everyone understands that. 

However, it is the regularity with which bad or good things happen that define a country's character. ????

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Honestly returning lost property is something that happens in places like Japan and Singapore and Taiwan and Korea and many Western countries - - WITHOUT FANFARE. 

That Thais get all excited when someone is honest says alot about the average character of the country. 

I couldn't have said it better myself.

• Thanks 1

Variation on a theme?

It seems all rather neat and tidy, not suggesting that a Thai construction worker can't be neat and tidy. But ... And the lao khao - now that truly is an attempt to provide a "master touch". Fail.

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

In any country a bad thing could have happened. I think everyone understands that. 

However, it is the regularity with which bad or good things happen that define a country's character. ????

you have any stats that back that statement? or is it just the sensationalism that comprises the majority of the 'news' on this site?

So, slightly confused.

Did or didn't she get the credit cards, ATM cards, the 2,000 baht, and unlucky lottery tickets etc back? 

Or was it just an empty wallet?....................... and did he want the 200 baht to buy Lao Khao just for returning an empty wallet?

The report isn't clear on this.

Edited by Scouse123

On 6/10/2019 at 1:14 PM, Fex Bluse said:

Exactly.... Totally agreed with your statement.

• Like 1