One tyre unrepairable

My Mazda CX3 is two years old and one tyre has bust, a nail and another injury.

The guy is trying to tell me that I Ned to change all 4, but I don't believe. him.

Any advice? Just change the one, Dunlop, to any brand of the same, or what?

You don't have to change all four. Buy a tyre the same size same profile, if you can't get the same brand. Put the two best tyres in front for security reasons. A blowout of a front tyre can be very dangerous.

But you could also tell them to put a tube in. Then you can drive your tyres until they're done. No problem with a tube. And tell them to balance it. You won't feel a difference, I swear. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just use the spare and the odd tire goes in/under the boot.

Unless the spare is one of those thin ones, only up to 50Kph.

Then you simply buy another exactly like the one which is being replaced. 

Just buy another tyre of same make* ,size ,and put it on the rear,

I suppose tyre guy thought he was going to get 3 tyres for free.

*if possible.otherwise any brand,same size will do.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Isaanbiker said:

You don't have to change all four. Buy a tyre the same size same profile, if you can't get the same brand. Put the two best tyres in front for security reasons. A blowout of a front tyre can be very dangerous.

But you could also tell them to put a tube in. Then you can drive your tyres until they're done. No problem with a tube. 

Tubes are not a good idea in a tubeless tyre...

https://www.quora.com/What-will-happen-when-I-put-a-tube-in-a-tubeless-tyre

• Like 2

Find out first if the tread depth is still in the serviceable range. Maybe you Tyre shop is doing you a favour by letting you know all your tyres are worn and would have required replacing even if one didn't get damage.

Check the wear blocks in the tread grooves. If you don't know what they are, look it up online.

Without all the info, one can only speculate.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
typo and added.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Why, when the vast amount of cornering and braking forces run through the front end on such a vehicle?

Yes, but if there's water on the road, you'll 'lose'; the rear.

• Confused 1

Upselling is a national obsession with Thai sales staff.

If the tyres are not down to the tread wear indicators, ignore them. If you don't know what a TWI is, push a match head first into the tyre grooves. If it goes in deeper than the match head, the tyres probably have 5 - 10 K kilometres left in them.

8 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

You should not brake in a corner.

True in most cases. Also if it comes to any lack traction it is easier to compensate and correct the rear than a breakaway in the front ! Most retailers who know their stuff will always suggest or insist on best tread on front.

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Trail Braking?

beginners don't know the benefits of trail braking, the benefits of regathering a vehicle that is understeering with braking, or understands that braking in a straight line can cause a loss of traction.

They can't comprehend what was actually typed either.

Edited by Farangwithaplan

Thanks to all replies.

I went to another shop, the owner is the father of my daughters friend, so trust him.

Getting two new tyres poor on the front, as suggested by him.

Also the new ones are width 225 but back ones 215, he say no bother.

1 hour ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Why, when the vast amount of cornering and braking forces run through the front end

Because when that happens, your rear wheels will be without any ( or little) download forces, and could aquaplaning.

Trying to sell extra tyres on a spurious reason is common. I recall an incident in Glasgow in the 1980s where a well known tyre retailer outlet was caught using the false claim that it was illegal to have differently worn tyres on the same axle. (Women were being specifically targeted) A newspaper investigated, and found that the staff were selling the part worn tyres on the second hand market and pocketing the cash. A week later the newspaper published a letter from the owner of the company stating that "heads had rolled"

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks to all replies.

I went to another shop, the owner is the father of my daughters friend, so trust him.

Getting two new tyres poor on the front, as suggested by him.

Also the new ones are width 225 but back ones 215, he say no bother.

I'm afraid that the bigger tyres should be in the back, okay from 215 to 225 is only a tiny difference. Why does he say no bother, the car producers knew why they put 215's on. 

He just didn't have your size, that's all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

I'm afraid that the bigger tyres should be in the back, okay from 215 to 225 is only a tiny difference. Why does he say no bother, the car producers knew why they put 215's on. 

He just didn't have your size, that's all. 

True, he didn't have the size but he is an expert and friend. Also, I had some spare time, for a change, today and wanted it done.