New dual track train line to slash travel time between Bangkok, Hua Hin and southern Thailand

webfact

Im very confused as I live in Hua Hin and can see the cement pillars being built, I thought these were for the high speed train, not the dual track train.

So after only having a ramshackle ancient one track rail system, we are now going to get a dual track rail system on stilts plus a separate high speed train ?

18 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Not sure I would trust being whisked at 160 mile an hour ANYWHERE in Thailand.

Whatever next a Nuclear Power Plant ???

That plan had been mentioned a few years back.

Think of the possibilities for disaster that could unleash

Motorists are bad enough

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Booboo101 said:

Im very confused as I live in Hua Hin and can see the cement pillars being built, I thought these were for the high speed train, not the dual track train.

So after only having a ramshackle ancient one track rail system, we are now going to get a dual track rail system on stilts plus a separate high speed train ?

Soon it will be an elevated 2 track ramshackle service

3 hours ago, apetryxx said:

Disclaimer, I love trains. As a retired airline pilot, I take the train whenever I can. No long security lines, one leaves and arrives from the city center and weather is rarely a problem. For trips of 5 hours or less you can’t beat the train. 

As to the snarky comments about not trusting a Thai to handle train engineering duties at 160 KPH, this is pure racist drivel.  There are plenty of intelligent hard working Thais flying planes, doctoring in complex specialties and working in disciplines that I can only marvel at. Keep your moronic statements to yourself.

But maintenance is another story, its the not so educated that do the repair work :omfg:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Matzzon said:

It´s about 190 km to Hua Hin from Bangkok with car. Train will go more straight, which will mean about 1 hour and 15 minutes at a speed of 160 km/h.

As I said in the comment above. Can´t believe anything. Mr. Worawut needs a calculator.

You're neglecting to factor in the time spent when the train hits some pickup truck or bus at an at-grade, gate-less crossing (or at a gated crossing where the vehicle traffic ignores it), and they spend a couple hours cleaning up the mess.

• Haha 1

The dual track service will be a longer distance than the existing single line due to the route distance being longer.

New lines will run from the new central station BKK west to Nakorn Phanom then crank south to Ratchaburi, Phetchaburi, Hua Hin and south to Chumphon.

Existing line runs from the Bankgok terminal on the west side of the river, west and paralleling the main Highway 2 turning south before the junction with Highway 4.

Although the distance will be further trains should be averaging higher speeds due to dual tracks.

56 minutes ago, Booboo101 said:

there is no high speed train. just dual tracks so no waiting for on coming trains  and no railroad crossings or cross traffic. so faster.

Edited by NCC1701A

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

There is already a standard gauge railway line ARL, from Bangkok (Makkasan area) to the airport. All they have to do is extend it round and down to Pattaya and on south to U-Tapao. No need to build another railway. A fast train  is all that's required.

Build, extend. You know what I mean.

20 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, you need to read better. There are stops between Bangkok and Hua Hin.

Yes, and approx 5 hours by car meaning visiting every patrol stations and other shops ...

16 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Is it so hard for some of you to actually come out and give credit, ever?

When they actually build and complete something that really works properly, reliably and safely, and serves a legitimate purpose at a reasonable price for the users.

BTS and MRT, yes, except for failed accessibility...

SRT no, ARL barely, including the abandoned Express line. Makkasan Terminal no. never completed BRT system, no. Hopewell, no.  etc etc...

And in particular as regards the rail topic in this thread, as far as I can see, very little that SRT has done in recent years has been well developed and operated successfully.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lemonltr said:

Excellent. But standard gauge please. 

There are 4 different rail gauges used in the world.

The problems start when for example a country is using the metre gauge single track system wants to dual track using the standard gauge. It is possible to lay the standard gauge track on a new track bed and buy new rolling stack. It may cause problems at existing stations as they will need to be widened as will all the trackside.

When it is complete that will have to be a single track until the metre gauge is ripped up and relaid with standard gauge. This is the stage that you try to sell off the existing rolling stock if anyone wants to buy it. If not then sell it as scrap. 

http://www.railsystem.net/rail-gauges/

The different gauges can broadly be divided into the following four categories:

Broad Gauge: width 1676 mm to 1524 mm or 5’6” to 5’0”
Standard Gauge: width 1435 mm and 1451 mm or 4’-8⅟2”
Metre Gauge: width 1067 mm, 1000 mm and 915 mm or 3’-6”, 3’-33/8” and 3’-0”
Narrow Gauge: width 762 mm and 610 mm or 2’-6” and 2’-0”.

Is the dual track system Standard Gauge or Metre Gauge as used (mostly) throughout Thailand? I thought they were going to use the existing Metre Gauge for the dual track project.

I have seen workers replace wood with concrete ties on the Metre Gauge, and they used the most primitive tools only, such as a crowbar and shovel. Not sure I would want to travel 160 KPH on Metre Gauge tracks which have not been aligned properly. 

Edited by taiping
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, harriott456 said:

didnt think anyone would have anything good on constructive to say..wasn't disappointed, why some of you are here i'll never know!
if the Thais are so useless, corrupt, untrustworthy etc and Thailand is so this and that..buy yourself a ticket to somewhere else..there are plenty of other countries to try nobody is forcing you to stay!

These tend to be foreigners that speak zero Thai and unwilling to adapt to the country they are guests in. They hate everything about Thailand but oddly won,t leave. I wonder why.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When they actually build and complete something that really works properly, reliably and safely, and serves a legitimate purpose at a reasonable price for the users.

The thing is, they have it already. Can't understand the need for a "hig speed train" to Hua Hin.

Great 

It's about time we had some decent rail around 

It looks good hopefully it'll perform as well as the super trains in Japan 

They go a lot faster than 160mph but were also put down when they were first made but are the best trains in the World 

So I hope that Thailand can also prove the Europeans a lesson on making a Great Rail System

I myself think it's fantastic I even saw a lot of the construction which makes me very proud of the Thai people who have been building the systems ????????

22 hours ago, Matzzon said:

It´s about 190 km to Hua Hin from Bangkok with car. Train will go more straight, which will mean about 1 hour and 15 minutes at a speed of 160 km/h.

As I said in the comment above. Can´t believe anything. Mr. Worawut needs a calculator.

Correct.I travel Bkk-HHin regularly also to Hat Yai . An overnight sleeper train No 171 Hua Hin 17:45 hrs HYai 05:30 officially always late,good as my connecting train to Penang Bazar 07:00 hrs immigration open 0900hrs.So every thing along the line would have to have new time schedule if the new high speed train gets to HYai two hours earlier and what about my 11 hrs sleep. Keep the train as it is.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

SRT no, ARL barely, including the abandoned Express line. Makkasan Terminal no. never completed BRT system, no. Hopewell, no.  etc etc...

And in particular as regards the rail topic in this thread, as far as I can see, very little that SRT has done in recent years has been well developed and operated successfully.

Makkasan is a fine example of failed planing.once you could drop your luggage of their for airport,now abandoned. And the public are not informed of the service's .

Edited by Percy P

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Give credit where it's due.

20 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

The prices will soar ! And i would not trust anyone driving a high speed train here. I will wait a few years and count how many train wreaks first.

That will be much safer than the narrow gauge tracks used presently...and safer than Thai roads as well.

44 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

The thing is, they have it already. Can't understand the need for a "hig speed train" to Hua Hin.

You can't be serious?.....It's what they call progress

Bangkok 20 years ago you had a choice of 4 really good condo's to chose from around Sukhumvit now because of the BTS the world is your oyster.

Obviously it will help Chaam and Hua Hun but my money is on north Chaam near Jurassic Mountain  up to Chaosamran Beach area coming of best over the next 5 to 10 years.

so there will be the capability for "fast" trains to use the new line from Bang Sue to Hua Hin that is a start.

but will that result in an improvement in the frequency with trains all day to compete with the buses?

What about the rest of the trains to the south will they keep the existing sleepers and perhaps save an hour

4 hours ago, outsider said:

Back to KL Sentral - every rail line is linked by this HUB (yes a real one!) and once you are there, you are literally connected to the rest of the country - at least where the rail lines will go. Their latest inter-city train - the MRT - does not go to KL Sentral proper, but that did not stop them from building a proper walkway from the nearest stop to KL Sentral. It's a bit of a walk if I'm honest, but at least you do it in air-conditioned comfort. All the way!

To be more precise, the MRT is a metro line, or as the name suggests, a rapid transit line, just like the Bangkok MRT, not an intercity line. The intercity train service, which is also connected to KL Sentral is called the KTM ETS (Electric Train Service), which have train services running on dual-tracks all the way up to the Thai border at Padang Besar. 

The MRT station nearest to KL Sentral, called the Muzium Negara station is a connecting station, not an integrated station. If you do not wish to walk to this station to get to the MRT line, you can take the LRT from KL Sentral to the next station at Pasar Seni. Pasar Seni is an integrated station with the MRT line. Because the ticketing systems of the LRT and MRT lines are linked, you do not need to buy another token at the Pasar Seni station to use the MRT line. In fact, it may even be more expensive if you take the MRT from Muzium Negara to Bukit Bintang (fare: RM1.80), for example, instead of taking the LRT from KL Sentral and change to the MRT line at Pasar Seni and take the MRT to Bukit Bintang (fare: RM1.40). That would save you some walking, although in air-conditioned comfort, to the Muzium Negara station and you also get to save RM0.40.

I wonder if we ever get to see a true integration of Bangkok's BTS and MRT lines at Asok and Sukhumvit stations one day.

3 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

i wonder what happens if a train traveling 160km/h hits a pickup on a crossing?

because that kind of happens a lot round here..

When Malaysia upgraded its single tracks to dual tracks with electrification, all level crossings were closed and many were replaced with flyovers. The only remaining level crossings were those single tracks without electrification and they are not that many left. Together with the upgrading of the tracks and electrification, many stations were renovated or rebuilt.

Not sure if the Thais would eliminate all the level crossings with this planned upgrading job. 

• Thanks 1