Berocca. Beneficial or a waste of money.

fishtank

This stuff seems silly overpriced like so many imported/western brand name supplements.

Can someone provide an exact list of ingredients? I am uncertain whether I got it.

But for sure their "top" ingredient is vitamin C. 500 mg which most will find it's way back to light.

A lack of vitamin C for a well fed adult is so unlikely as it is contained about everywhere also as a preservative under its alias name "ascorbic acid". You can buy it dirt cheap per pound as powder.

Below is a list from a German language website.

(I found differing lists from different countries!)

Sure the percentage of daily recommended is overwhelming.

But is it healthy/useful?

Found a website that says: do not take more than 4 mg of B1 from supplements.

Recommended daily intake 1.3 mg. Overdose will find find it's way out :whistling:

Vitamin B1  11,8 mg 1073 %
Vitamin B2  15 mg 1071 %
Vitamin B6  8,23 mg 588 %
Vitamin B12  10 μg 400 %
Vitamin C  500 mg 625 %
Biotin 150 μg 300 %
Folicacid 400 μg 200 %
Niacin 50 mg 313 %
Pantothen 23 mg 383 %
Magnesium 100 mg 27 %
Zinc 10 mg

100 %

43 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Takes away the revolting taste of water, worth every penny ????

Buy a sachet of electrolyte powder.

Same effect of "goof feeling" and so much cheaper.

21 minutes ago, wombat said:

B&C are water soluble, what you don't need you piss out.

Exactly that and pissing out your money :biggrin:

There is product called "Wii-Top" that you get at most pharmacies, 50 Baht for 10 capsules. Cheaper online.

It contains many more ingredients than Beroca just not ridiculously overdosed.

wiitop1.jpg

23 minutes ago, samtam said:

The Bs are good for a hangover...I'm told????

And bet that also here a sachet of electrolyte powder in a glass of water or soda would be more effective. And for the headache an extra pill.

Just not a recommended daily diet.

B and C composite vitamins do have value in taking, I'd just question if Berocca is the best and/or affordable way to take it. 

I have no idea how much they cost in Thailand but I know they were stupidly expensive in Australia vs what you got before I left seven years ago. You can get much better value from taking a B/C composite vitamin from a company like Blackmores than you can Berocca. 

A very effective placebo.
I don't notice any benefit, but it's reported it can shorten the life of a cold.

"Perhaps the best-known and most widely promoted use of high-dose vitamin C is to prevent or treat the common cold. The bulk of the evidence shows that high-dose vitamin C will, at most, shorten a cold by one day. In ordinary circumstances, vitamin C appears to have no preventive value, although a few studies have reported a 50% reduced risk of developing colds among people taking vitamin C in extreme circumstances — for example, skiers, marathon runners, and soldiers working in sub-Arctic conditions"

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/whats-the-right-amount-of-vitamin-c-for-me

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Takes away the revolting taste of water, worth every penny ????

I love the taste of water. I did ever since I moved to ???????? and then ????????. Back in the UK never really liked the stuff. My kids exactly the same. 

Had bowel cancer resulting in the loss of some colon about 30 years ago. Surgeon suggested at the time that there may be some benefit in taking a good multi vitamin as the loss of colon would have some impact on vitamin production from the flora that normally reside there. Have been taking Berrocca or its substitute (Aldi in Aust produce a similar product with the same ingredients for about 90 baht) ever since. There certainly is some contention

as to benefit with numerous articles on the Internet. I have attached one that may be of interest.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3225048/Could-vitamin-C-replacement-EXERCISE-daily-Berocca-effective-walking-improving-heart-health-obese-people.html

image.jpeg

I find having a daily morning Lipo drink from 7, 12bht, gives a similar "pick me up" feeling as a Berocca.. 

It is an energy boost drink with vitamins, and gives the body an energised boost.. And great taste.. 

4 minutes ago, owenm said:

I find having a daily morning Lipo drink from 7, 12bht, gives a similar "pick me up" feeling as a Berocca.. 

It is an energy boost drink with vitamins, and gives the body an energised boost.. And great taste.. 

How much caffeine??

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Exactly that and pissing out your money

13 Baht & it may do you some good, beer is xx & does you no good, yet the end result is the same? going to have to think about this ????

On 6/12/2019 at 11:27 AM, CGW said:

13 Baht & it may do you some good, beer is xx & does you no good, yet the end result is the same? going to have to think about this ????

As I wrote I prefer a real multivitamin with many more ingredients with wise dosage and cheaper.

And I don't like fizzy tablets anyway.

No alcohol since long.

I think they are good easy way to get a load of vitamins if you aren’t much of a fruit or veg eater . I have taken it for few years now and drink it in mornings when I wake and it does seem to give me a bit of a boost and I do notice if I haven’t taken it . Downsides are the amounts of vitamins they give you . The vit b in it is 500% rda and I’m sure that taking such large amounts of certain vitamins isn’t the best for you.

Price wise I get mine from the Uk and get people to bring them here . I have noticed the price has almost doubled here and I’m sure it’s the pharmacies getting greedy . 

Waste of time taking a full berroca because your body cant absorb the high doses..... better off breaking up the capsule in 3 or 4 pieces and take over course of the day.....i usually grab about 10 tubes in aldi/lidl when i go back to europe at about 1 euro a pop......

Archived