Digitize slides and negatives into JPG files

I've been dragging boxes of old slides/prints/negatives around with me for literally decades now, and I've finally worked up the desire (and the time) to convert the good stuff into digital imagery.  I recently took a stab at this when a friend offered to loan me his little slide scanner, but it turns out this particular one didn't work with Windows 10.  But now my interest is piqued, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good, trustworthy place offering a service to perform the conversion.  I have 35mm slides and negatives.  If not, I might break down and buy a decent slide scanner, but I know the good ones can be pretty expensive.  Maybe buy a good used one?  I'm open to any suggestions here!

Your best bet is to find a good film scanner.  Prints can be scanned on most any flatbed.  Be prepared to organize and spend a lot of time on this project as good scanners are slow and then cleaning up the scans, color balancing etc all take time.  Creating a way to organize these will be another project best done as you go, and I'd suggest googling that to see what would work best for you.  FYI, Digital Ice and other scanning softwares made for cleaning up images don't work on B&W films.  Also they are not perfect even for color.

11 hours ago, maryone said:

so are you using photo editing? Did you have to contact photo editing services?

No, I haven't even reached that point yet.  But rather than using a service, I think I've decided to buy a slide scanner, and apparently some of the good ones include their own software for that purpose.

14 hours ago, maryone said:

because I need some advice! 

Sorry, I don't really have any experience in that area...yet.  ????  I did have one friend who recommended using Adobe Photoshop for editing the photo after scanning it into JPG format, but it's my impression that this is an extremely capable software package for professionals, with a steep learning curve, which is why I'm currently banking on buying a slide scanner which includes its own (hopefully user-friendly) software for that purpose.

Archived