Expat takes a musical pop at Thai government: Gets a million views and counting

webfact

Expat takes a musical pop at Thai government: Gets a million views and counting

9pm2.jpg

video screenshot

A Facebook user under the name of Yan Marchal who posted a video of him singing in Thai parodying the government has said he is surprised that his video has gone viral. 

In another post on his Facebook page he claims that he wrote the Thai lyrics himself. 

The song has been viewed more than one and a half million times with more than 50,000 shares. 

Called "Junta Anthem Update" it contains lines translated into English that suggest the NCPO (National Council for Peace and Order) would "break promises" and need "a lot more time".

He claimed the "dictatorial system" would live on and they would "act tricky".

He said the people needed to be "gullible" and have their eyes shut so they can "devour your tax money".

Mr Marchal seemed very proud of his achievement though many posters warned him to be careful and were clearly worried that his prank would cause him trouble. 

Thaivisa have asked Mr Marchal if he is worried about being arrested but by press time had received no reply.

His Facebook profile lists him as living in Bangkok and working for "Sanuk Games". He is said to have studied in Paris. 

Here is the full text of his comments on his Facebook page:

"1 million. I could not imagine that a mere spoof of the junta's anthem, and not even the first one at that, would get this number of views in a day!

Right now my Facebook has more notifications than I could even read if I was doing it full time. I got over 1,000 friend requests (perhaps several thousands but Facebook stops counting after 1,000), which I cannot all accept because of the friend limit, and also because I have no systemic way to know who's in with bad intentions.

While the overwhelming majority of the shares are enthusiastic, a significant minority of them are angry at the video, and willing to share their discontent. I also got a few insults in private messages. This is not a big surprise, as my video was a one-sided tease, and won't work with everybody's sense of humor.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-12

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa have asked Mr Marchal if he is worried about being arrested but by press time had received no reply.

Not surprised really. There's no internet inside these secret government detention houses.

More balls than sense.. Good luck and fair to him, he'll need both when the army come a callin..

There are other foreigners here who are actively involved in political stuff. It's good that they care more for the greater good than their personal safety

8 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Well done - but sadly he'll be gone. If there's one thing this government dislikes more than 'farangs', it's farangs who have a negative opinion of them. 

I take it then that would be all farang with the exception of Steven100.

He lives here?  I was shocked to read that. He might think it funny, it might BE funny, but Prayut's gang of soldiers are not known for their sense of humour. Take it down FAST if I were him.

There are many things many of us would love to say but living here precludes it. We sort of skate on here but it's as far as we dare go. Tons of times I'd like to pile in on khasod or BP but stop myself as I see my visa dangling before my eyes.

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

He lives here?  I was shocked to read that. He might think it funny, it might BE funny, but Prayut's gang of soldiers are not known for their sense of humour. Take it down FAST if I were him.

There are many things many of us would love to say but living here precludes it. We sort of skate on here but it's as far as we dare go. Tons of times I'd like to pile in on khasod or BP but stop myself as I see my visa dangling before my eyes.

It's too late to take it down. It's already out there.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Writing lyrics? Isn't that work. What a t.w.a.t.

I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of the TVF members as well as the Thais that watched that video agree with me when I say it's not him that's the you-know-what.

1 hour ago, Bipolar said:

No other media picked this up nor showed this video on their site...I think that Dan Cheeseman and Alex should seriously take it down so as to not to get into trouble as already another group of anti-thaivisa thais that was offended recently with regards to the thaivisa team turning them down for collaboration in promoting their medical website are gaining  lobbying momentum on various thai sites and with various thai officials. Better to be safe.

I'm with you Bipolar. You'll have officers from the Technology Crime Suppression Division of the Royal Thai Police checking out the lyrics to see if they violate any junta orders.

The song’s creator Yan Marchal would also be summoned to testify whether they had intended to cause any chaos or violate any National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) orders. Social media sites allowing the video to be shown could also face charges. So is it really worth taking the risk with this very risky news story.

You don't want this to appear when you try to access Thaivisa.

I could be paranoid, but you never know, upset the wrong guy....

Thailand_Ministry_of_Information_and_Communication_Technology_2014_Censorship_Image.jpg

Archived