Tourist Visa in Penang in 2019

Dear All,

in two weeks , I will do a visa run. It will be a tourist visa in a new Passport, issued in BKK, with already one tourist visa from Oh Chi Minh City and one extension. 

I am planing between Penang and Vientiane. 

Two years ago, in Penang, I only needed an onward flight out of Thailand. I read that if more than two stamps, I will need a flight to my passport country. I don't have two stamps but still I would like to know the latest updates on Penang for tourist visa. I normally do the visa run on my own. No agent.

If someone as been there recently and could let me know how it went. Would be much appreciated.

And also, is Vientiane still easy as it was ?

Thank you in advance for your time.

29 minutes ago, kralledr said:

now only by appointment in Vientiane and afaik for the next 2 months fully booked 

It is only 2 to 3 weeks in advance to get an appointment for a tourist visa application now. Less than that for other visas.

The 2 months got fixed months ago.

• Like 1

If you want to use Vientiane, check immediately to see if you can get an appointment slot. While the two month wait claimed above is not true, it is usually necessary to book about two to three weeks ahead.

Penang is not a good idea for a tourist visa application. You might get lucky with only one other tourist visa in the passport, but I would personally choose somewhere else. If Vientiane is a no go, you might consider Kuala Lumpur (appointment also needed but usually easier), HCMC (again) or Hanoi.

19 hours ago, WTProduction said:

Well it seems that Savannakhet remain with the walk in system but, obviously, lots more of traffic is going there.

I remember Savannakhet when it was nice and quiet.

If you avoid applying on Mondays and Thursdays (when the visa run vans ship tons of people there), Savannakhet should still be fine. You'll need some documents not needed in Vientiane though, a bank statement and a ticket out of Thailand.

I booked an appointment in Vientiane. Had spots available for the date I wanted.

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

If you avoid applying on Mondays and Thursdays (when the visa run vans ship tons of people there), Savannakhet should still be fine. You'll need some documents not needed in Vientiane though, a bank statement and a ticket out of Thailand.

Good to know about the vans days.