U-turns Vs. Roundabouts?

Hi,

I'm surely not alone is perceiving just how dangerous U-turns are on Thai roads, especially on the 'super highways'.

Suicidal tendencies are needed to actually make a turn in the face of on coming traffic. The subsequent 'mass breaking' that ensues causes so many crashes... the list against them is endless.

My simple question:

...WHAT'S WRONG WITH ROUNDABOUTS?

Far to complicated for Thais. I used a roundabout today and is was chaos. Can you imagine if there were roundabouts of any significant size in Thailand. :o

To be honest there are plenty of non Thais that have difficulty with roundabouts.

However, I personaly think that almost anything is better than U-turns.

Thailand Roundabouts are nightmares. Id much rather take a one on one chance with oncoming traffic at a u-turn than my one on a hundred chance with all the clowns on a roundabout such as Thaksin or Victory monument, or the Roundabout on Ram Intra!

They just dont give way!

Roundabouts have one simple rule, "Give way to vehicles already on the roundabout!"

They work well where that rule is obeyed, they don't work at all in Thailand (or Malaysia where there are more of them), fact of life. The road markings don't help. Until drivers learn to follow basic rules (like a RED light means stop) chaos will reign.

Phuket has a roundabout on the main Rd leading to airport.. Thier current solution is to station 2 police there every night.. Restricting flow to only 2 ways instead of 4 and adding 2 u turns about 200m further up the Rd.. Total chaos..

The U turn being in the over taking lane without a slip lane is just nuts.. Not only the no indicator (blown brake light) brigade who just dive on the brakes from flat out (hey I should be a safe braking distance) but also the swerving into inside lane undertaking manouver..

Still it has stopped lots of accidents, I drive past the Heroines monument almost everyday at 6.00pm or so and there was an accident there at least every other day, yet to see one with the new system and it has greatly decreased the traffic flow/jams.

But generally Thai's just don't get roundabouts, they see nothing wrong with being in the far left hand side lane to turn right from the roundabout, and always look surprised as they just miss people in the middle lane going straight.

The only roundabout the average Thai driver should be allowed on is the one where he can sit in Noddy's car in the kiddy's funfare.

The only U turn the average Thai driver should be allowed to make is immediately outside his gate to get back into his garage.

Roundabouts on Thai roads are pure anarchy and U turns are the undertaker's best source of income, so take your pick.

But what else can be done where you have divided highways? Either you have U turns or you are permitted right turns at every intersection. At least the U turns reduce the quantity of accident black spots.

Near where I live, I've watched the chaos at a roundabout (3 lanes wide) for the past few years, and was relieved to see them installing traffic lights. We actually saw them operating the other day, and it seems they may only do it during some peak hours... part of me wishes they would turn it on full time.

Not only do the local drivers not understand right-of-way, they do not understand lane discipline or how to steer their car in a smooth arc to change lanes. Everything is violent tangential manuevers from an entry/exit to the apex of the innermost lane, etc.

I think the only solution that works safely here are the U-turn bridges and tunnels where you enter and exit from the outermost lanes. Of course, with those you will still see people racing up the side of the road in reversing gear, whether to return to a U-turn they missed or to get out of a U-turn they already started!

I think round-a-bouts are generally a good idea anywhere IF they are single lane (braindead morons get too confused with more than 1 lane). The whole concept of the round-a-bout is to reduce the angle of incidence between 2 colliding vehicles eg less than 90 degrees. It was never introduced to maintain traffic flow, although that can be a good by-product.

U-turns are not that bad, IMO, most of them are staffed with policemen at peak hours who make sure the right lane doesn't back up and stop the incoming traffic. Sometimes they put up cones taking one line from each side to make u-turns uninterrupted.

Off peak hours, with little traffic, they are not a problem at all.

They also develope your driving and spatial skills :o

You all seem to be missing the possibilities offered by a decent roundabout, like this one at Hemel Hempstead, and a couple of cameras set up in thailand. There would be enough footage to keep any comedy show in business for years

Re. Victory monument.

I was sitting in the back of a taxi approaching the Victory Monument, when the driver took both hands off the wheel to Wai the monument I started to pray and am now I see the greater problem.

When a roundabout is created, the town elders see it as a chance to fill the space with a something (to make personal merit or contractal back hander) if the something needs to be Waied the drivers have two tasks to deal with, the traffic and the greater issue of a respect to the statue.

U turns are not too bad, often just wait a while for a gap in the traffic, shoot across the fast oncoming traffic (flashing and hooting - one or both of you) to get to the far side of the U turn to join the slower moving left hand lane.

Of course easier if everyone is driving at 90 kph or slower, is sober and during hours of darkness has lights front and rear.

Solution: Get bigger bull bars.

It would seem there's an awful lot of Brits on this post, extolling the virtue of roundabouts!

Don't forget, it's not just the Thais who can't use them; it's almost every other nationality in the world.

Having said that I think they are a wonderful idea so long, as pointed out above, that you give way to traffic on the roundabout (i.e. on the right in Thailand). the trouble is I have yet to see a roundabout in Thailand with road markings - not that that would make the blindest bit of difference!?!!?

The concept of a u-turn on a multi-lane highway is just a way of culling motorists if you ask me....