'It's important to be nice': Dwayne Johnson urges compassion in MTV awards speech

snoop1130

'It's important to be nice': Dwayne Johnson urges compassion in MTV awards speech

2256.jpg

Hollywood didn’t know what to do with me’ … Dwayne Johnson accepts the generational award. Photograph: Emma McIntyre/VMN19/Getty Images for MTV

Dwayne Johnson told fans of the power of compassion and “being ourselves” while accepting a top honour at the MTV Movie and TV awards.

“The most powerful thing we can be is ourselves,” said Johnson on receiving the icon generation award, given to actors who have had a positive impact on society. “When I first got to Hollywood, they didn’t know what the hell to do with me. I was a half black, half Samoan, six-foot-four, 275-pound pro wrestler.

“I was told you’ve got to be a certain way, you’ve got to drop some weight, you’ve got to be somebody different. For years I bought into it because you think, ‘Oh, that’s what I’m supposed to do’ and I was miserable. I made a choice that I wasn’t going to conform to Hollywood, Hollywood was going to conform to me.”

“When I was 15, I heard a quote and I’ll never forget it – ‘It’s nice to be important but it’s more important to be nice.”’

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jun/18/dwayne-johnson-at-mtv-awards

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

‘It’s nice to be important but it’s more important to be nice.”’

Great words from a great actor... he made it work by working hard.

Most in Hollywood would stamp all over you to get what they want!

Archived