Best refrigerators under 20k?

markcm19

Looking for a medium-large refrigerator for home use, but I don't know what to look for. Our unit is garbage, ice either does not work and melts everywhere, or becomes the antarctic with nothing between, and it is too small. Budget is 20k, if there is any suggestions on value brands/units I would be happy to hear about them!

• Haha 1

I bought my Toshiba at Homepro. OK but I wouldn't buy another one.  Go to Homepro and look.  they have sales all the time.  Buy a bigger one then you need.  We have a chest freezer and a refer so we can stock up on food.  Our chest freezer will also adjust to refrigerator temps if necessary.  I should have got a freezer that was frost free.  

Biught a Mitsubishi 14 years ago just dropped it off at the mil.

Nothing wrong with it just had a broken shelf and bought another Mitsubishi can't go wrong with they refrigeration products .

No idea about there cars but bet there air-con works well.

• Like 1

I bought an Electrolux with inverter technology. Has 10 Yr compressor warranty and have found it good over past 2 years. I was looking originally for an 11 cubic but my GF suggested going bigger. I'm glad I listened and settled for a 13.8 cubic. Bigger is better if you've got the space. Original price was 18k but on sale at Powerbuy at around 14k.

18 hours ago, newnative said:

We love our Mitsubishi 3 door refrigerator. Huge freezer compartment on the bottom, sliding drawer in the middle for vegetables and such, and main compartment on top. Best of all, for me, is the automatic ice maker!  Fill the little compartment with bottled water and, voila, ice in the freezer without filling those pesky ice cube trays.  Welcome to the 20th century! It was 18,000 baht on sale if I recall.

Where was that..?

Electrolux, it's a no brainer, Electrolux bought all the knowhow off kelvinator and Westinghouse, 2 of the oldest fridge companies, I purchase a new Electrolux, about 300 lit.inverter,power consumption dropped 1000thb a month, compared to Panasonic Inverter econo model had previous. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

Electrolux, it's a no brainer, Electrolux bought all the knowhow off kelvinator and Westinghouse, 2 of the oldest fridge companies, I purchase a new Electrolux, about 300 lit.inverter,power consumption dropped 1000thb a month, compared to Panasonic Inverter econo model had previous. 

But where is there stuff made...I know some are made in China...

26 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

How do you manage that?

We run 2 full size Samsung fridges.....

Even with regular heavy AC use we're usually under 2k a month in electric bills....

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2019 at 1:06 PM, newnative said:

We love our Mitsubishi 3 door refrigerator. Huge freezer compartment on the bottom, sliding drawer in the middle for vegetables and such, and main compartment on top. Best of all, for me, is the automatic ice maker!  Fill the little compartment with bottled water and, voila, ice in the freezer without filling those pesky ice cube trays.  Welcome to the 20th century! It was 18,000 baht on sale if I recall.

Mate in the 20th century they connect the fridge to the tap...works better..but you have to change those hoses every 3 years..and also use a good waterfilter plus uv as a filter before the fridge.

An ice maker is the best thing to have in thailand. Unfortunately they don't sell many fridges which can be connected to the tap. We bought one 10 years ago , samsung, still works fine. Was 35000 in the sale that time.

20 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Mate in the 20th century they connect the fridge to the tap...works better..but you have to change those hoses every 3 years..and also use a good waterfilter plus uv as a filter before the fridge.

An ice maker is the best thing to have in thailand. Unfortunately they don't sell many fridges which can be connected to the tap. We bought one 10 years ago , samsung, still works fine. Was 35000 in the sale that time.

Filling the little water compartment with bottled water is making plenty of ice for my needs and the location of our refrigerator is not near a water tap so the Mitsubishi works for us.

• Like 1

I use a lot of ice for the vodka and make do with a couple of 1kg bags per day from the corner shop, 5 min walk and there are others in the house with motorbikes that regularly pick me up some...@thb8 per bag such a deal...got a big storage drawer in the freezer on my small downstairs Panasonic to keep it in...can always use the family's big upstairs Samsung freezer compartment as a back up...usually plenty of room...

always like lots of flexibility when selecting a fridge to buy...extra mechanical features like auto ice makers and their required maintenance (filters, etc) make me nervous...

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 3:01 PM, transam said:

A new thermostat(s) will cure all...

It may be short of Gas. You couldn't give me a Samsung. I have a 2 door downstairs 3 years old that has no gas. Another 2 door in my kitchen that ices up and I have to strip the interior to defrost it manually. The fan builds up ice. It is a poorly engineered and made fridge. You can't go wrong with Panasonic. Their products are pretty well made and are reliable and they have plenty of authorised agents if anything goes wrong. 

Should mention my BIL is a Panasonic agent in South Bangkok and I get to see the Panasonic Air cons and white goods in for repair. I'm also a refrigeration design engineer.

15 minutes ago, Hugh Lao said:

It may be short of Gas. You couldn't give me a Samsung. I have a 2 door downstairs 3 years old that has no gas. Another 2 door in my kitchen that ices up and I have to strip the interior to defrost it manually. The fan builds up ice. It is a poorly engineered and made fridge. You can't go wrong with Panasonic. Their products are pretty well made and are reliable and they have plenty of authorised agents if anything goes wrong. 

Should mention my BIL is a Panasonic agent in South Bangkok and I get to see the Panasonic Air cons and white goods in for repair. I'm also a refrigeration design engineer.

About to chuck out my samsung that has given me nothing but grief over the years..live n learn

13 minutes ago, madmen said:

About to chuck out my samsung that has given me nothing but grief over the years..live n learn

They make good boat anchors like most Korean white goods.

Edited by Hugh Lao
  • Like 1