Chicken-stealing lizard caught in Sattahip

Rimmer

Chicken-stealing lizard caught in Sattahip

image.png

SATTAHIP:--After three of his fighting cocks went missing, a Sattahip farmer finally found the thief: A giant water monitor lizard.

Nai Ngamkaseam, 50, called authorities to his Soi Najomtien 9 where family members had the three-meter-long reptile tied up.

Nai said three of his prize birds worth more than 30,000 baht each had gone missing. On June 15 he was inside and heard a noise in the henhouse. He came out to see the hungry lizard trying to snare dinner.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-06-21--

36 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

After three of his fighting cocks went missing, a Sattahip farmer finally found the thief: A giant water monitor lizard.

We live alongside the Nan River in Phitsanulok province and so we have quite a few in the area. This photo taken years ago shows the villagers with a good-sized lizard. Dead. When the chickens or duck go missing there is invariably a water monitor lizard in the area. The creatures are usually shot and then thrown back into the river. Surprisingly, this is one thing the locals don't eat...

water monitor.jpg

2 hours ago, missoura said:

We live alongside the Nan River in Phitsanulok province and so we have quite a few in the area. This photo taken years ago shows the villagers with a good-sized lizard. Dead. When the chickens or duck go missing there is invariably a water monitor lizard in the area. The creatures are usually shot and then thrown back into the river. Surprisingly, this is one thing the locals don't eat...

water monitor.jpg

My neibours would be BBQ that in no time maybe they dont eat it down your way But I have seen them on the fire in Chiang Mai

20 minutes ago, Hogs said:

My neibours would be BBQ that in no time maybe they dont eat it down your way But I have seen them on the fire in Chiang Mai

I have never seen one here in my 20 years in CM area and around. Huge Pythons too many. Cobras yes. Green tree snakes yes. Maybe a different smaller type of lizard.

We've got a couple running around Eastern Star in Ban Chang. But no chickens in the immediate area for them to pilfer. There are chickens behind our house, but a bit too far for them to walk and navigate the soi dogs. They probably eat dead fish, birds and rats in the klongs and lakes. 

We had seven of the little critters hatch out under the pool deck, when they got to about 3 feet long and were eating the Coy Carp in the pond I built a trap, caught them all one by one and re located them all into the wild

Freda caught.JPG

Fred Swim.JPG

The gentleman who lost his fighting cocks to a lizard at great financial loss should consider that they were probably not going to have a great career in the ring. I have always understood that cock fighting was illegal in Thailand.

2 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

I have always understood that cock fighting was illegal in Thailand.

I’m not sure about that, but I’ve watched a Thai TV sports channel that regularly showed cock fighting. If I were reincarnated as a chook, I’d certainly far prefer to be a fighting cock than a battery hen.

24 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

I’m not sure about that, but I’ve watched a Thai TV sports channel that regularly showed cock fighting. If I were reincarnated as a chook, I’d certainly far prefer to be a fighting cock than a battery hen.

Quite right .. Goes on a lot and a lot of money changes hands in the process at some of the gatherings .. 

7 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Can I have that monitor lizard please? Plenty of his favorite food around my place and dogs too, I wouldn't mind a quiet night for a change.

I understand very well what you're saying...

But I would prefer a flying monitor lizard, who might reduce the noise of the doves

and pigeons too.

10 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

The gentleman who lost his fighting cocks to a lizard at great financial loss should consider that they were probably not going to have a great career in the ring. I have always understood that cock fighting was illegal in Thailand.

How come I can watch it on TV? Maybe it's not actually filmed in Thailand, I'll check, and no, I don't routinely watch cock-figthting on the telly, just came across it whilst channel-hopping. Pretty nasty to watch.

7 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Missed your post. Ditto.

13 hours ago, Rimmer said:

We had seven of the little critters hatch out under the pool deck, when they got to about 3 feet long and were eating the Coy Carp in the pond I built a trap, caught them all one by one and re located them all into the wild

Freda caught.JPG

Fred Swim.JPG

Good on you Rimmer.

Cock fighting is legal in Thailand but not the gambling that goes with it.

We have a five ring fighting joint just up the road, all legal and approved.

My thai mate often sells birds upwards of 20K baht. He also runs the 5 ring circus. Good money if you can get it.

14 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Quite right .. Goes on a lot and a lot of money changes hands in the process at some of the gatherings .. 

Bet you still end up as "chicken"  stock at the end of the day, once it:s  ripped to shreds

Archived