Beware of paying compliments

Mikisteel

2 weeks ago Mrs Steel made a darn good khao soi. I was very engrossed in the meal and realised I was so into this meal I had not said a word in 10 minutes.

So I piped up and paid my wife a compliment, or so I thought.

Lovely khao soi this is, nice one.

That was that, fast forward a week and were discussing food for the next day. She is suggesting penang which I love but I like to tinker with recipes so made a suggestion to chop the pork smaller and boil it in the soup, do not fry it at all.

Next day arrives and she does as requested so I'm rushing to test it out and my wife remarks she cannot tell the difference.

I try it and can immediately tell it is softer and juicier. I'm at odds with her statement and at this point I know she has a problem she is keeping from me.

"Last week, you say my khao soi lovely"

"So all the other times I cook that dish, must mean you not enjoy"

5 year anniversary, yesterday.

If you got a wife like that then learn to think on your feet, just say i loved it before but that time it was just even better than normal.

Anyway I would not like a drama queen like that. But if that is the worst of her then its not that bad.

Just now, robblok said:

If you got a wife like that then learn to think on your feet, just say i loved it before but that time it was just even better than normal.

Anyway I would not like a drama queen like that. But if that is the worst of her then its not that bad.

I like it, I just wish she had discussed it at the time instead of carrying it around for so long. 

Crazy comment to make considering how I purchased a 5 litre pot a year ago specifically for her to cook lots of khao soi in.

40 minutes ago, Mikisteel said:

She is suggesting penang which I love but I like to tinker with recipes so made a suggestion to chop the pork smaller and boil it in the soup, do not fry it at all.

When you're doing the cooking, it's called "tinkering." When someone else is doing the cooking, it's called "meddling." :biggrin:

BTW, Happy Anniversary.

That's life. Wife dragged me to Prathoo Nam once to go lady shopping ( the horror , the horror )

Looked at lots of dresses and finally narrowed it down to two after a lot of trying on. 

However, she could not decide which one to buy and asked me to decide. I told her they were both nice and she looked great in both. Not satisfied she insisted I pick one out.

So , cornered .....I told her I liked the white one.

Immediate response.

" But what's wrong with the black one. Why don't you like it ? "

43 minutes ago, Denim said:

That's life. Wife dragged me to Prathoo Nam once to go lady shopping ( the horror , the horror )

Looked at lots of dresses and finally narrowed it down to two after a lot of trying on. 

However, she could not decide which one to buy and asked me to decide. I told her they were both nice and she looked great in both. Not satisfied she insisted I pick one out.

So , cornered .....I told her I liked the white one.

Immediate response.

" But what's wrong with the black one. Why don't you like it ? "

Som nam na. Leave your wife to go shopping with her friends for clothes. It's a no-go zone.

Always respond with "no" when she asks "Does my bum look big in this?" Better still, say nothing.

7 hours ago, mosan said:

I don't comment on my wife's cooking, because if it's I say it's good I'll be eating that same thing for the next week!!!

Correct....if asked if my home cooked dish tastes OK I always reply "everything you cook for me sweetheart tastes aroy maak" to be met with "pakhwan" (sweet mouth) and we both smile...that,s it end of  :thumbsup:

My wife makes french toast. Then she saw on Youtube someone adding milk to the mix. It makes it softer. She asked me I said it was better than before.

The OP's problem lies in the fact that the recipe change/preparation technique was his idea not hers! 

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

The problem I find is that if you say that was a great meal, to the Thai missus, especially if a new/varaiation of a meal, you get the same thing for the next two weeks!

7 hours ago, mosan said:

I don't comment on my wife's cooking, because if it's I say it's good I'll be eating that same thing for the next week!!!

Sounds eerily familiar ????

7 hours ago, mosan said:

Only a week, you are lucky mate!  I'm still faced with eating my wife's green curry twice a week, that I happened to say was very aroi.  That was 15 years ago. 

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:43 PM, Mikisteel said:

I try it and can immediately tell it is softer and juicier. I'm at odds with her statement and at this point I know she has a problem she is keeping from me.

"Last week, you say my khao soi lovely"

Normal female logic. 

Read Men are from Mars, women are from Venus.

No man can ever understand women ( and visa versa ), but the author gives it a pretty good shot.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I learned years ago that the best course of action with women is not to give compliments at all, as they are usually misunderstood.

Also, I noticed that they never gave me any compliments, despite being helpful, so what is good for one goes both ways.

My wife is always complimenting me on my strength.  But she means smell.  Woof!  Take a shower!!! 

Hey, my wife only gained about 40 percent in weight in 40 years.  Not that bad.  I gained 10 pounds.  In a few more years, she'll have to fight in a higher weight class. 

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One of the things I liked about Thai women before they started eating western food and got larger, was their perfect small bums.

Can't disagree. However, Yangon has been a revelation. Due to the infusion of Indian genes, the Burmese there have perfect bigger bums. Decisions, decisions.

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Can't disagree. However, Yangon has been a revelation. Due to the infusion of Indian genes, the Burmese there have perfect bigger bums. Decisions, decisions.

If I'd wanted bigger bums I'd have stayed at home. Plenty of them wobbling down the streets here.

Sometimes a DDG Thai woman appears to have a big bum, but only because their waists are so small.

I miss seeing lovely Thai girls driving past on a m'bike with a perfect figure, gorgeous legs, pale coffee coloured unblemished smoooooooth skin and long jet black hair blowing behind in the wind. Memories, memories.

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I'd wanted bigger bums I'd have stayed at home. Plenty of them wobbling down the streets here.

Sometimes a DDG Thai woman appears to have a big bum, but only because their waists are so small.

I miss seeing lovely Thai girls driving past on a m'bike with a perfect figure, gorgeous legs, pale coffee coloured unblemished smoooooooth skin and long jet black hair blowing behind in the wind. Memories, memories.

Yes indeed. Brings back fond memories.

We have larger "Beer-Bellies" and they have larger "Butts".  Evolution and "Western-Food"/Liestyle at work!

Irreversible!

On the positive side: Once Thai-Women are starting to look like European Women (resembling "woolly mammuts), no more need to board an Airplane, trying to find something that looks and acts different from  the European female "wolly mammuts".

Easy to detect: I like "petite" Thai-Women. insted of "woolly- mammuts", resembling a WW2 Centurion-Tank(s).

Forgiveness please.

Archived