True Visions Care ( Formerely Ubc )

midas

Before moving to Pattaya, I was a platinum subscriber of True Visions Care

( formerly UBC ). I was paying almost 2,200 baht per month but in my

new place I have pay extra for installation of cable and satellite dish.

True Visions Care are unbelievably arrogant and haven't even bothered

to advise me what this cost would be - I really don't want to give them the business.

Would anyone know what my range of options are in pattaya

-apart from Sophon cable who are already know.

Is it possible to purchase a satellite dish privately from any vendor

in Pattya ? I would really appreciate any advice.

Unfortunately, if you want sat TV with any semblance of reliability, True Visions is your only choice.

All the other systems as sold by the satellite dish installers are perfectly OK for an interested technically inclined person. They need to be fiddled with, firmware downloaded and upgraded etc. to keep working properly...

You are able to buy trouble free official subscriptions from different providers, but due to the fact these subscription cards have to be obtained through middlemen (they can't legally be sold in Thailand, True's got the monopoly) they tend to get ridiculously expensive.

The South African Multichoice network (the best of the lot, especially for sports fans) would cost you around 4000 Baht/month with 1 year payable upfront!

I too am on the verge of setting up a satellite system, and realise the only real option is True (UBC).

My further problem is that I want to set up a system for 5 different rooms each with independant channel selection. I suspect this will cost an arm and a leg as I will need seperate decoders/ sim cards for each location.

Anybody got any other bright ideas ?

I too am on the verge of setting up a satellite system, and realise the only real option is True (UBC).

My further problem is that I want to set up a system for 5 different rooms each with independant channel selection. I suspect this will cost an arm and a leg as I will need seperate decoders/ sim cards for each location.

This is not directly on topic, but may be relevant to some people who read this. I gave up UBC more than a year ago after having it for many years. The reason was I can get just about any program I want on the internet, either with torrents or through usenet. I now watch what I want, when I want. My internet connection is 2000 baht a month as I have two 1024 adsl lines (I combine them with a single router).

A half-hour High Def program usually takes about an hour to download. I have a backlog of stuff I haven't yet watched: Movies, TV, Sports, etc. For example, I recently downloaded all the recent UFC cds from about UFC 40 to 68, if you know what that is. Other examples--Weeds, 24, Survivor, tons of cooking shows, tons of documentaries (the cbc is awesome!). Since doing this, the quality of my viewing experience has improve dramatically. I could never go back to the odd scrap of good programming on Thai satelllite TV.

I know this system is not for everybody, but I am very happy not to be giving money to those robbers at UBC anymore. I was with them when they became a monopoly many years ago and I watched them suck more and more blood over the years. I can't imagine hating a corporation more than I hate them. :D

Oops, went off on a bit of a rant there. :o Hope the internet idea helps someone. Let me know if you want any more details.

but I am very happy not to be giving money to those robbers at UBC anymore. I was with them when they became a monopoly many years ago and I watched them suck more and more blood over the years. I can't imagine hating a corporation more than I hate them. :D

Oops, went off on a bit of a rant there. :o Hope the internet idea helps someone. Let me know if you want any more details.

Jimmy !! we can start a " WE HATE UBC " club !! :D

I hate them as well actually - I was just too polite to say so

in my initial posting. if they didn't have the protectionism of

their monopoly they would devoured in no time by competitors

who can give real customer service.

Anyway your suggestion sounds very interesting and you are right

that it's still the old model of " broadcasting " which means you have to

be in at a specific time to catch something you want to see.

I would really appreciate your advice on who I should contact

regarding the equipment I would need - thanks very much !

...your suggestion sounds very interesting and you are right

You need a computer, a phone line, and an adsl connection. After that it's just finding out where to get the stuff. Do you have a computer already?

...your suggestion sounds very interesting and you are right

You need a computer, a phone line, and an adsl connection. After that it's just finding out where to get the stuff. Do you have a computer already?

yes I have a laptop and a PC with monitor but I was wondering if I was to go

down the route you have already gone whether I should also invest in a

flatscreen monitor for viewing pleasure ???

was there any particular reason you decided on 2 ADSL lines - would I be able

to get by doing what you have described with one ADSL line ?

yes I have a laptop and a PC with monitor but I was wondering if I was to go

down the route you have already gone whether I should also invest in a

flatscreen monitor for viewing pleasure ???

was there any particular reason you decided on 2 ADSL lines - would I be able

to get by doing what you have described with one ADSL line ?

Well another benefit is I have no tv--just a 30 inch LCD. It can be used as a tv, and sometimes I watch sophon cable in a little box in one corner of the screen while I surf the net (sophon is so cheap why not?). It's your choice if you want to invest in one, but I tell you it's nice and the prices are much lower than even a year ago when I bought this one.

You certainly don't need two ADSL lines, it just makes things faster. I got two ADSL lines kind of by accident. I had a TTT line, but couldn't get ADSL in my area so got a TOT line. Later ADSL became available for TTT, so I went for it for a second connection for my wife. Eventually, I wove it together to double my speed.

You certainly would be able to do what I'm doing with a single ADSL line. Do you have a phone line already? If so, which company? What area are you in?

This is not directly on topic, but may be relevant to some people who read this. I gave up UBC more than a year ago after having it for many years. The reason was I can get just about any program I want on the internet, either with torrents or through usenet. I now watch what I want, when I want. My internet connection is 2000 baht a month as I have two 1024 adsl lines (I combine them with a single router).

A half-hour High Def program usually takes about an hour to download. I have a backlog of stuff I haven't yet watched: Movies, TV, Sports, etc. For example, I recently downloaded all the recent UFC cds from about UFC 40 to 68, if you know what that is. Other examples--Weeds, 24, Survivor, tons of cooking shows, tons of documentaries (the cbc is awesome!). Since doing this, the quality of my viewing experience has improve dramatically. I could never go back to the odd scrap of good programming on Thai satelllite TV.

I know this system is not for everybody, but I am very happy not to be giving money to those robbers at UBC anymore. I was with them when they became a monopoly many years ago and I watched them suck more and more blood over the years. I can't imagine hating a corporation more than I hate them. :D

Is it a good idea for you to encourage others to "Hog" the bandwidth? The internet is bad enough as it is, but as more people start downloading these huge files, it will get even worse.

Re the original topic...........

A friend originally enquired about UBC opposite Carrefour, and couldn't get any answers except 2 weeks to install. He went to another place in Tesco Lotus (North), a phone shop apparently. They installed it the next day, answered all questions and gave him a good deal. He has had no problems.

Sinom, if you don't want the ongoing expense, record everything on DVD from your set top box and put a DVD player in the other rooms. Programs are repeated often enough, so it may be possible. The problem is that it can be a lot of messing about as I don't think there is a system that will change channels on your decoder. I prefer to record programmes as I can watch when it suits me and FF thru the adverts and trailers.

Edited by loong

Is it a good idea for you to encourage others to "Hog" the bandwidth? The internet is bad enough as it is, but as more people start downloading these huge files, it will get even worse.

I pay for my bandwidth and use it. That's the way things work. If I wanted a faster connection I would pay for more bandwidth. I would advise you do the same if you're not happy with your connection. The only bandwidth I "hog" is that I pay for.

You are correct in saying this is off topic. I'll start another "alternative to UBC" thread when I get a chance.

Edited by Jimmyd

:D:o

that is a ridiculous comment ! perhaps everyone should stop driving

gas guzzling SUV's and cars and only use motorbikes so they don't " Hog " the roads ? :D

perhaps everyone should stop driving

gas guzzling SUV's and cars and only use motorbikes so they don't " Hog " the roads ? :o

Actually I like that idea! The internet is a bit different, you basically buy your own road. :D The original poster is right however that Thai companies may cheat their customers and share the road with others. However, the number of people who start using the net more because of this thread will certainly have no discernible impact on anybody's internet speed.

:D

Are there any promotions packages going with True / Ubc in the area ?

Sometimes it,s a great way to get a cheap deal along with additional stuff thrown in.

E.G. Special intallations / Lower rates and monthly payments for a set period.

It works out cheaper to cancel and start as a new subscriber.

That,s if you don,t find an alternative of course.

Just a thought.

marshbags :o:D

Edited by marshbags

Unfortunately, if you want sat TV with any semblance of reliability, True Visions is your only choice.

The South African Multichoice network (the best of the lot, especially for sports fans) would cost you around 4000 Baht/month with 1 year payable upfront!

£400 per annum !!! Easy to get and very good Ive had it 3 years now

Sometimes it,s a great way to get a cheap deal along with additional stuff thrown in.

Just a thought.

UBC in Bangkok told me before I moved it would cost 2000 baht to relocate

my existing service but 4000 baht to start a new subscriber ???

And that excludes the additional " unspecified " costs for running

extra cable and installing the satellite dish - so it doesn't sound to me

they are interested in offering cheap deals ?

£400 per annum !!! Easy to get and very good Ive had it 3 years now

Where/How do you get it? Is that 400 pounds (28,000 Bt) for the full package?

I assume that Sophon retransmits Mnet Series from this network, but they lose the signal fairly often , usually only for short periods, but annoying. Does your signal keep dropping?

Interested to know where you got that as well, lowest I have been quoted in Thailand is 43,000 Baht/annum...

Loong, you should never loose signal with Multichoice, since they are on C-band (Pas 7/10). You do need a C-band obviously, these are the big black mesh things (1.8m upwards). Not even in rainstorms...

Maybe they get it of a different satellite, like they do with Zone Reality (also from Multichoice) which the get of a bird aimed at China. Hence the Chinese subtitles, not to be seen when you're on Multichoice!

Just a thought.

UBC in Bangkok told me before I moved it would cost 2000 baht to relocate

my existing service but 4000 baht to start a new subscriber ???

And that excludes the additional " unspecified " costs for running

extra cable and installing the satellite dish - so it doesn't sound to me

they are interested in offering cheap deals ?

I don,t know if it,s a regional thing but in Udonthani you get them from time to time.

Possibly applicable to areas where they want to boost subsrciptions.

What,s the local networks like in Pattaya these days.

I used to have Sophon cable when i was there and it was pretty good and the cost was minimal.

marshbags :D