Mass motorcycle taxi violence: Police chief gives details - 127 people involved!

rooster59

Mass motorcycle taxi violence: Police chief gives details - 127 people involved!

422442.jpg

Image: Naew Na

The head of the metropolitan police has spoken at a press conference regarding the deadly mass brawl between rival motorcycle taxi ranks in Udomsuk, Bangkok, on June 15th.

The violence resulted in death and many injuries as riders from Udomsuk 1 and Udomsuk 2 clashed in a one and a half hour orgy of street violence in Soi 103 in the Bang Na police jurisdiction. 

Pol Lt-Gen Sutthipong Wongpin appeared with his subordinates at the met HQ yesterday to announce progress in the case and show the evidence that has been gathered. 

Along with the motorcycle vests and helmets of combatants were a .45 gun, a knife, and thirty one 45 inch rubber batons. 

Sutthipong said that CCTV and video clips from five locations had been used to help determine what happened and who was involved. 

There were 127 people involved with 58 people leading the fighting. Ultimately 19 arrest warrants have meant that 19 people are in custody.

They face charges ranging from premeditated murder, to weapons charges, affray involving more than ten persons and conspiracy. 

All the ringleaders and principal people in the violence are in custody said Lt-Gen Sutthipong. 

Naew Na said that the violence broke out after riders from Udomsuk 1 had been made to pay 3,500 baht to join the rank and a 3,000 baht per month fee. It was said that Udomsuk 2 riders did not need to pay a thing and their rank was in a preferential site to pick up customers.

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-27

For anyone who just landed from the moon into BKK streets, those moto guys are nothing but mafia/thugs in orange vests with numbers on them, the authorities has created a monster, and that monster has grown to be 10,000 people strong, now the government have to find ways to put the genie back into the bottle and that is almost impossible to do...

39 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Naew Na said that the violence broke out after riders from Udomsuk 1 had been made to pay 3,500 baht to join the rank and a 3,000 baht per month fee. It was said that Udomsuk 2 riders did not need to pay a thing and their rank was in a preferential site to pick up customers.

Maybe cut off the hand that steals, instead of trying to kill the ones that appearently learned how to do it the right way. 

But Its same as always. Kill a person instead of learning by your misstakes or cutting your losses .Ohh, sorry, it´s called handling face in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Maybe cut off the hand that steals, instead of trying to kill the ones that appearently learned how to do it the right way. 

But Its same as always. Kill a person instead of learning by your misstakes or cutting your losses .Ohh, sorry, it´s called handling face in Thailand.

Just wondering how many bigger mafia  figures, ruthless business people hire m/cycle riders as an 'army', and how often this happens, and of course not all that expensive hired violence.

Maybe the police should also be targetting these guys also. 

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Just wondering how many bigger mafia  figures, ruthless business people hire m/cycle riders as an 'army', and how often this happens, and of course not all that expensive hired violence.

That would of course be the best and most sensible action. Unfortunately that is as far from possible as many other things we consider logical and a natural duty to the people.

How could there possibly be 127 people from 2 taxi ranks ?  I have never seen more than about ten at any rank.  Bet the fight was prearranged and outsiders came for some fun. If you look at the video, not many were wearing orange jackets.

23 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

How could there possibly be 127 people from 2 taxi ranks ?  I have never seen more than about ten at any rank.  Bet the fight was prearranged and outsiders came for some fun. If you look at the video, not many were wearing orange jackets.

Only the ultra idiots leave them on as they aid easy identification.

Is that them, I saw the helmets and batons. Now they are impersonating police officers, have they no shame ? Killing each other is one thing but dressing up as the revered BIB is a step too far.

The fees they had to pay are relevant as it was announced that both ranks were unlicensed/illegal. From  the video it looks like the few police who turned up were supporting one side, maybe the fee payers.

The sooner they are all shut down and replaced by Grab where there is some safety and accountability of those who give you a ride, and the ability to praise or complain about the drivers, the happier I will be. No need for taxi ranks, no refusing rides, no inflated fares, less chance for mafia involvement, no wonder they are popular and the low-standard riders and drivers are complaining.

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

Only the ultra idiots leave them on as they aid easy identification.

They never take them off, they are that thick that if they took off the Orange jacket they would have no idea as to who they actually are the following day ????  :cheesy:

How dare some of you! How could you be callous to suggest replacing them with Grab drivers?  Do you realize the economic damage that will ensue?  Sales of Hong Nam or whatever that horrible whiskey is called, would plummet at 7/11 across Bangkok.  Who will pay for Black Cock?

IMG-20161115-WA0022.jpg

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

There were 127 people involved with 58 people leading the fighting. Ultimately 19 arrest warrants have meant that 19 people are in custody.

While the rest are on the streets working as normal?

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

The motocy taxi guys are not at the top of the chain...cops, pollies and military all eventually get a piece of the pie. A huge monster, one of many, created by the government!

Unless the story states who controls and protects each win or rank (usually at least a police or military colonel or powerful politician) then the story is pointless. The newspapers are unlikely to reveal that information.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:55 AM, ezzra said:

For anyone who just landed from the moon into BKK streets, those moto guys are nothing but mafia/thugs in orange vests with numbers on them, the authorities has created a monster, and that monster has grown to be 10,000 people strong, now the government have to find ways to put the genie back into the bottle and that is almost impossible to do...

Take the bikes from the people involved for starters.

Sorry to see all the moto-taxi drivers being painted with the same brush.

I live in a Soi off Sukhumvit 71 which has had essentially the same crew of moto-drivers for the last 10 years, probably 15 of them if they were all at the stand at one time which never happens.  I use them daily and have never had a problem with any one of them.  They go out of their way to be helpful and perform a multitude of tasks for the residents of my soi.  Need a gas canister refilled? No problem.  They take the empty one and return with it full in 10 minutes. 50 Baht.plus gas cost.  They pick residents kids up at school when the parents can't, get meals at street food kiosks for those who are shut in and run all sorts of errands for local businesses. My building is 150 meters down the soi and they always have a spotter looking to see if someone wants them to come down and pick them up.  I am greeted in friendly fashion every time I walk by and many times, they have picked me up when I was walking back to my soi and they were returning to the queue, no charge.

They perform an excellent service and go about their days just like any other workers.  They deserve credit for this, not derisive scorn.   

There will be bad apples in any job, from bankers to busboys.  Moto drivers are no different.   I see the incident as another example of powerful behind the scene individuals who extort the drivers to pay for the privilege of working and who play the workers against one another for their own ends, as has been going on for centuries. 

On 6/27/2019 at 12:24 PM, Matzzon said:

'Maybe cut off the hand that steals, instead of trying to kill the ones that appearently learned how to do it the right way. '

Or to paraphrase:

Instead of admitting that the economic situation is plain poor, let's pretend the really disadvantaged are to blame for all the woes.

Archived