Redcar to Doi Suthep fare dispute

sanemax

There are some back-packers who think that everyone is trying to rip them off by overcharging them or tricking them 

(Hey, Bill 97 & dotpoom , I got another interesting story, gather around)

I was on my way up to Maesai recently to do a visa run in a mini bus with other visa runners .

Myanmar charges 500 Baht or 10 US$ for their visa .

10 $ being about 320 Baht (No, no need to post the exact current exchange rate )

The van driver offered passengers 10 $ notes for 350 Baht .

(Bill and dot , you may as well stop reading now , it doesnt get much more interesting that this)

Passengers save 150 Baht and the driver makes 30 Baht .

A female back-packer took up the offer and paid 350 Baht for a 10 $ note .

Myanmar immigration refused to accept the 10 $ note and made her pay 500 Baht .

She arrived back at the mini bus fuming , shouting at the mini bus driver , accusing him of tricking her and demanded that he take the 10$ back and give her the 500 Baht back 

She was very aggressive and confrontation and saying "No one rips me off"

I tried to explain to her that he sold her the $ with sincere intentions and he didnt know that the immigration officers wouldnt accent it .

She didnt listen and continued her abuse at the driver 

On this occasion i can see how the female back-packer would have felt she was ripped off, she paid 350 baht for a bill worth 320 ( actually less ).

But it’s all down to education as to how she reacts to this, ranting and raving only makes her look foolish in front of the others who didn’t take the drivers offer and probably thought the whole situation amusing.

Demanding 500 baht from the driver is not correct, he could have returned her original 350 baht for the bill and things would have been back to how they were before, no harm done.

What was the outcome ?

( if i were the driver I would have offered to reverse the exchange but 500 baht no way, if she continued with her ranting and abuse then it would be “ No deal “ and turn my back )

On 6/28/2019 at 8:04 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

The Thai lady from BKK is more worldly wise than the cheap Charlie backpackers !!

Plus from Redcar to Dói Suthep is 5,556 miles so not a bad deal at all !!
( sorry, but someone had to say it emoji20.png )

i not understand the headline too....what has REDCAR to do with over charging.....does it mean the TAXI is a redcar...or redcar where they have a shit beach but good race course???!!!

Just asking....LIKE 

i not understand the headline too....what has REDCAR to do with over charging.....does it mean the TAXI is a redcar...or redcar where they have a shit beach but good race course???!!!
Just asking....LIKE 

I think on this occasion the OP is referring to a red songthaew used to transport people up and down Doi Suthep.

Either that he is referring to a fine example of a North Yorkshire seaside resort famous for its stunning beach .

IMG_9175.JPG

And its distinctive architecture !, here’s a fine example dating back to 2013 !!

IMG_9176.JPG

New Thai Visa Forum Rule: Posts about money must be about amounts exceeding 1,000 Baht. All posts about smaller amounts will be removed and penalties given.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

On this occasion i can see how the female back-packer would have felt she was ripped off, she paid 350 baht for a bill worth 320 ( actually less ).

But it’s all down to education as to how she reacts to this, ranting and raving only makes her look foolish in front of the others who didn’t take the drivers offer and probably thought the whole situation amusing.

Demanding 500 baht from the driver is not correct, he could have returned her original 350 baht for the bill and things would have been back to how they were before, no harm done.

What was the outcome ?

( if i were the driver I would have offered to reverse the exchange but 500 baht no way, if she continued with her ranting and abuse then it would be “ No deal “ and turn my back )

Sorry , I made a mistake , she asked for her 350 Baht back in exchange for the 10 $ , which the driver agreed too .

The driver did agree to the re exchange , but he had every right to decline the request .

She willing entered into an agreement and by chance , the plan didnt happen .

Point was, that it wasnt a rip off or a trick , just the Myanmar immigration  changing the rules .

I tried to explain to the woman that if the worst come to the worst , she could just change the 10$  for 320 Baht in a bank and just be 30 Baht down .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's only 3.5Km through the jungle.

Doi Suthep Monk Trail is a 6.3 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mueang Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai, Thailand that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking "

Sorry , I made a mistake , she asked for her 350 Baht back in exchange for the 10 $ , which the driver agreed too .
The driver did agree to the re exchange , but he had every right to decline the request .
She willing entered into an agreement and by chance , the plan didnt happen .
Point was, that it wasnt a rip off or a trick , just the Myanmar immigration  changing the rules .
I tried to explain to the woman that if the worst come to the worst , she could just change the 10$  for 320 Baht in a bank and just be 30 Baht down .

Sounds like a satisfactory outcome, nobody at fault ( except maybe the female for flying off the handle ).

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I think on this occasion the OP is referring to a red songthaew used to transport people up and down Doi Suthep.

Either that he is referring to a fine example of a North Yorkshire seaside resort famous for its stunning beach .

IMG_9175.JPG

And its distinctive architecture !, here’s a fine example dating back to 2013 !!

IMG_9176.JPG

I think the beach is Cotham Sands with the Corus steelworks in the background.

10 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Sounds like a satisfactory outcome, nobody at fault ( except maybe the female for flying off the handle ).

Had she just politely told the driver that the 10 $ wasnt accepted and asked to re exchange , he would most probably had done so .

But she was infuriated , abusive and aggressive , like a rabid soi dog .

She was convinced that it was all a con  and he was trying to rip her off .

No amount of explaining what get her to see the reality 

I think the beach is Cotham Sands with the Corus steelworks in the background.

Yes, I think you are right, I had the pleasure ([emoji849]) of working at British Steel Port Talbot ( known locally as Port Toilet ) and Corus Haarlem Amsterdam , huge sprawling city like companies spewing out black smoke into the atmosphere.

British Steel - Corus - Tata Steel now the owner.

9 hours ago, champers said:

Weren't we all young and a bit foolish at one time or can some posters not remember that far back?

Yes,maybe we did things similar the past , but that doesnt mean that we cannot and should not be critical of other people doing similar things today

On 6/28/2019 at 10:22 PM, Bill97 said:

Unfortunate you can not join the group that understands it said something.

Yes, I do understand what he meant .

He didnt find the thread interesting and wasted his time reading it .

My point was that why waste even more time by replying and wasting more of his time, as well as everyone elses ?

Why did he read this thread and reply ?

Probably because he had nothing better to do ?

This thread doesnt involve sex, prostitution , ladyboys , felangs getting ripped off , no scope for Thai bashing , Thai "mafias" , nothing unfair or to moan and complain about and so they have nothing to add .

Why not just pass this thread by , instead of making negative comments (Yes, which do say something , but nothing to add to the thread content)?

Yes, I do understand what he meant .
He didnt find the thread interesting and wasted his time reading it .
My point was that why waste even more time by replying and wasting more of his time, as well as everyone elses ?
Why did he read this thread and reply ?
Probably because he had nothing better to do ?
This thread doesnt involve sex, prostitution , ladyboys , felangs getting ripped off , no scope for Thai bashing , Thai "mafias" , nothing unfair or to moan and complain about and so they have nothing to add .
   Why not just pass this thread by , instead of making negative comments (Yes, which do say something , but nothing to add to the thread content)?

Why not pass by his comment? You have added nothing to the thread except a lot of your own assumptions, just assumptions.

You are quite sensitive, been abused?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Confused 1

Just now, Bill97 said:

Why not pass by his comment? You have added nothing to the thread except a lot of your own assumptions, just assumptions.

You are quite sensitive, been abused?

I did start the thread and also made additions to the thread and havent made any assumptions at all .

Its not a case of being sensitive at all  , I am just replying to posters who posted in my thread .

Do you have any comment to make on the OP or the topic ?

Or are you just looking for a thread to have a moan in ?

If you have a comment to make on the OP, please do 

If you have nothing to add , scroll on by without comment 

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:09 AM, champers said:

Weren't we all young and a bit foolish at one time or can some posters not remember that far back?

I was all that and naïve to boot. Unfortunately it took a long time to realise that few if any wished me well in the world, and I'll be living with the results of my foolishness till I die.

On 6/29/2019 at 5:01 AM, sanemax said:

whats the point coming all the way to Thailand and sitting at the bottom of a mountain for a few hours , just to save ten  Baht ?

Whats the point in being late on in years wasting the minutes you have left sitting at the bottom of a mountain as you havent managed to do enough in life to buy a car to go up the said mountain to a tourist trap temple.

On 7/1/2019 at 2:50 AM, dcnx said:

Congratulations on contributing to the massive pollution on the mountain while supporting some of the biggest a-holes to drive on said mountain.

I didnt notice any massive pollution on the mountain and in this case, it wasnt the drivers being problematic .

How do you suggest that people get up the mountain ?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

I didnt notice any massive pollution on the mountain and in this case, it wasnt the drivers being problematic .

How do you suggest that people get up the mountain ?

Walk, but guess that is too much effort for most people, disabled excluded of course.

2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Walk, but guess that is too much effort for most people, disabled excluded of course.

Walk everywhere to stop pollution ?

As stated , I had a 14 kilo kid being carried and whilst I could have walked , it wouldnt have been good for him being exposed to the elements and I could well have done myself an injury .

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Walk everywhere to stop pollution ?

As stated , I had a 14 kilo kid being carried and whilst I could have walked , it wouldnt have been good for him being exposed to the elements and I could well have done myself an injury .

You may have done yourself an injury but the pollution you added, along with thousands of others does the world a permanent injury. But still the future for generations is not in yours or others vocabulary is it ? Typical me me me, but no worries you are not alone.

Edited by geoffbezoz

2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

You may have done yourself an injury but the pollution you added, along with thousands of others does the world a permanent injury. But still the future for generations is not in yours or others vocabulary is it ? Typical me me me, but no worries you are not alone.

Lets be realistic , the red car would have gone up to DS with or  without me .

Also , my main concern was the toddler , the elements would have been unpleasant , even dangerous .

You seem to be suggesting that people should walk everywhere , thats not an option for most people