Redcar to Doi Suthep fare dispute

sanemax

I was in a fare dispute yesterday .

I decided to go to D.S yesterday and arrived at the bottom of the mountain at 11 AM .

There was a red car waiting already at the bottom with six customers already waiting in the car .

The fare was a reasonable 40 Baht one way  , with the condition that there was ten passengers , a reasonable fare .

After waiting ten minutes for some  other passengers to arrive, the driver made us an offer .

*Go now and all pay 50 Baht each*

A reasonable offer which I agreed too .

A few backpackers stated that they would rather wait for the bus to become full and save 10 Baht each .

I explained that we could be waiting a while and it would be either very hot or raining soon , they shook their heads and said that they would rather wait  .

I said that its only ten Baht and that there would be extra room in the red car .

"Nope , wait"

I had other things to do that afternoon and do offered to pay everyone's extra 10 Baht , which they gleefully accepted .

I gave them all 10 Baht each .

One female back-packer (with my 10 Baht) gave the driver 100 Baht and got 50 Baht change .

She Then asked the driver for another ten Baht , stating that there fare was 40 Baht .

The driver refused and she accused him to ripping her off .

She then demanded her 100 Baht back and gave the driver 40 Baht back .

The driver then asked for the extra ten baht back , which she wouldnt give back to him .

She started off with 100 Baht and now had 130 Baht (My 20 Baht and the drivers 10 Baht)

Then she said that she wanted to wait for three other passengers and pay 40 Baht .

I changed my mind and decided to go to the zoo instead .

The driver called me back and said "we go now"

I sat in the front and gave him 100 Baht .

I said the the back-packers "You come all this way to Thailand , just to sit at the bottom of a hill for a few hours , just to save ten Baht "

I can understand people on a budget and not wanting to get overcharged  , but these people just didnt want to pay their way and they want everything below cost price .

On the way back down , there was five of us waiting in a red car , a passenger , a Thai lady from BKK , said "We all pay 60 Baht each and we go now"

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Met a backblagger last night by accident. New boyfriend of my partners friend. Not knowing him at all, polite chat ensued:  You here on hols or working "travelling". How long you staying "dunno". What you gonna do "dunno". Your visa ok? "dunno, think so, not sure". By the time all this had happened I d had 2 pints, he d had similar. Evening was coming to an end. I ask for my bill....MY bill. It comes, only my drinks on it, I pay for mine, he gets up and says "cheers mate, nice talking, thanks for the drinks" Needless to say, he looked suitably shocked when I made it quite clear I wasnt paying for a bloke I didnt even know!

Oh well. Suppose he ll be back to swigging Leo from the bottle outside a 7/11 tonight before trying to blag his way into Zoe!

This is really ridiculous, if you don't have the money, don't go travel around the world.

Not giving extra 10 baht makes that person a miser. They shouldn't be in Thailand in the first place.

No wonder Thailand prefers Chinese tourists.

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

I can understand people on a budget and not wanting to get overcharged  , but these people just didnt want to pay their way and they want everything below cost price .

I don't see it that way. They only wanted to pay the fare and no more, but they were stupid. They'll be paying for booze that night.

I've observed loads of stupid bagpackers in LOS. 

they ride bicycles 2 abreast on narrow Chiang Mai roads

they stick their heads in a machine instead of getting out and looking at Thailand

they drink liver killing buckets of booze at the FMP and buy illegal drugs.

they rent m'bikes without any insurance or experience in riding m'bikes and leave their passports with the owners, and ride without any protection like a helmet

they sit in a bar on Khao San Rd telling each other BS stories while amazing stuff is happening on Sanam Luang

they pay more for rubbish from tourist stalls than they'd pay in the market.

they wai taxi drivers because they did no research before they arrived.

etc

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

they wai taxi drivers because they did no research before they arrived.

etc

I saw a British documentary some years ago where the journalist lady walked around wai-ing to children... amongst other ridiculous observations she made... 

11 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The Thai lady from BKK is more worldly wise than the cheap Charlie backpackers !!

Plus from Redcar to Dói Suthep is 5,556 miles so not a bad deal at all !!
( sorry, but someone had to say it emoji20.png )

You beat to it, i thought it was an absolute bargain, tha nos sithee.

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Should have walked up, only takes an hour and is completely free.

The 17 kilo kid and 40 degrees makes walking anywhere a chore , let alone a 30 kilometer up/downhill trek     

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't see it that way. They only wanted to pay the fare and no more, but they were stupid. They'll be paying for booze that night.

The fare is 3-400 Baht per trip , divided up between the passengers , which was all they were being asked to pay .

It was just suggested that we all pay an extra 10 Baht each to avoid waiting for 3 extra people to turn up .

I even gave them the 10 Baht each , and they wanted to pocket that 10 Baht and keep waiting .

They would have only been staying in Thailand for a few weeks , whats the point coming all the way to Thailand and sitting at the bottom of a mountain for a few hours , just to save ten  Baht ?

21 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The Thai lady from BKK is more worldly wise than the cheap Charlie backpackers !!

There are some back-packers who think that everyone is trying to rip them off by overcharging them or tricking them 

(Hey, Bill 97 & dotpoom , I got another interesting story, gather around)

I was on my way up to Maesai recently to do a visa run in a mini bus with other visa runners .

Myanmar charges 500 Baht or 10 US$ for their visa .

10 $ being about 320 Baht (No, no need to post the exact current exchange rate )

The van driver offered passengers 10 $ notes for 350 Baht .

(Bill and dot , you may as well stop reading now , it doesnt get much more interesting that this)

Passengers save 150 Baht and the driver makes 30 Baht .

A female back-packer took up the offer and paid 350 Baht for a 10 $ note .

Myanmar immigration refused to accept the 10 $ note and made her pay 500 Baht .

She arrived back at the mini bus fuming , shouting at the mini bus driver , accusing him of tricking her and demanded that he take the 10$ back and give her the 500 Baht back 

She was very aggressive and confrontation and saying "No one rips me off"

I tried to explain to her that he sold her the $ with sincere intentions and he didnt know that the immigration officers wouldnt accent it .

She didnt listen and continued her abuse at the driver 

20 minutes ago, champers said:

Weren't we all young and a bit foolish at one time or can some posters not remember that far back?

Young yes, that foolish, no.

Archived