Buying a car without a drivers license

M93

My local boyfriend and I have saved up money to buy a car. 

He is from the Karen tribes, and only has an alien ID card (white card, which they call 'ten year card'). 

He thinks he's not going to be able to put the car on his name. 

I have a Non B visa and work permit, but no driver license. Would I be able to put the car on my name?

(to be clear, only my boyfriend who does have a drivers license will drive the car, I would crash it within 5 minutes)

Btw, we are not financing but paying in full.  

All our vehicles are in my wife's name, it was just easier that way. She has never held a licence, not even for the dog. Seeing how she pilots a shopping cart no way I would ever want her driving.

So yes, you should be able to put the car in your name, you'll need a bunch of other stuff as a foreigner mind.

25 minutes ago, Crossy said:

All our vehicles are in my wife's name, it was just easier that way. She has never held a licence, not even for the dog. Seeing how she pilots a shopping cart no way I would ever want her driving.

So yes, you should be able to put the car in your name, you'll need a bunch of other stuff as a foreigner mind.

me too, wife owns it, I drive it. 

18 minutes ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Really help him get car and drive with no license.

I understood the OP that his friend HAS a license?

About the topic:

2011 I bought a car in my name. Piles of papers required but never asked or shown a driving license.

2017 bought a motorbike in my name. Less papers required and never asked for driving license.

Wife has a scooter in her name. Never had a driving license of any kind.

So Thailand is no different from countries I know.

Ownership of a vehicle does not depend on a driving license.

I don't know why peeps put their cars in Thai wife's name. I have had 3 new cars now and all have been in my name. All they want is copy of your passport simple.

Getting down to licence I have been asked every time for Thai D/L as they will want a copy for the insurance company. That's from a  dealer should be fine if you are buying it private. N/B could be different if you insure it any driver???

On 6/30/2019 at 10:36 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Ownership of a vehicle does not depend on a driving license.

of course it doesn't. How else could you register a car to a company/corporation/banks etc? Driver's license is only for driving a vehicle, not to own 1

On 6/30/2019 at 3:16 PM, KhunBENQ said:

There are white ID cards for stateless(?).

ID number starting with "0". ID number on pink card starts with "6"

Can't remember the details.

https://kruaun.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/id0.jpg

Yep that is correct. He has a white card starting with 0. He should be eligible for Thai citizenship but Pooyai's a pain in the ass. 

Thanks everyone for the help. 

We went to the dealer yesterday but luckily were able to put the car in his name as we're not financing, which is the ideal situation for us. 

And to clarify, my boyfriend does have a drivers license and is a very good driver ????

Archived