Personal check deposit at Siam Commercial Bank

Has anyone tried to deposit a personal check into their savings and or other account at a Siam Commercial Bank? ????

I was thinking of trying that route when I return to Thailand in a few months time.

Any boots on the ground intel would be appreciated....????????

8 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I assume you are posting about a foreign currency check. I used to do this regular at KBank. Then last year they refused to accept. I contacted customer service and was told it was a new BOT directive. Never investigated further.

Thanks for the intel....will have to check it out with my folks at SCB in the future.....nothing is ever easy.....lol...????

If you are from the US and have a US bank account most banks these days offer a mobile banking app that allows deposit of checks using your smart phone and its camera. I just did this for the first time a few weeks ago. Simple and got credit for the check within a few hours and no hassle.

10 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I am not from the US but I use this method with US bank also. Wish it had been available years ago. Days to clear instead of weeks in Thailand.

I think the OP is looking to deposit a check and its funds into his THAI bank account in order to provide cash during his upcoming travel to Thailand.  At least, that's the way I'm interpreting his post.

I hadn't/haven't heard that Thai banks are no longer accepting foreign check deposits, if that's in fact the case. Lots of times Thai bank staff like to blame government policies for what in fact are their own capricious decisions. 

But at least in the past, when you did a foreign check deposit with SCB, it typically would take up to several weeks for them to clear the check and credit the funds to your SCB account. And of course, they charged a healthy fee for the service.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I hadn't/haven't heard that Thai banks are no longer accepting foreign check deposits, if that's in fact the case. Lots of times Thai bank staff like to blame government policies for what in fact are their own capricious decisions. 

Yeap....I read so many posts over the years where a branch would say it was a new "Bank of Thailand" rule which was totally false.  When in fact, it was purely the parent bank policy or just that particular branch's policy...or just a customer service rep who was clueless. 

Some bank branches apparently like to say it was a Bank of Thailand rule change to deflect the blame from their bank/branch.  Blaming the almighty Bank of Thailand gives a vision to the customer that nothing can be done....must accept what the bank rep said. 

But anyway, Thai banks still accept personal checks although I'm sure you will fine some branches who don't want to have anything to do with a foreign personal check.  There will be a cashing fee of around Bt300 to Bt400 and the exchange rate given will be the Cheque/Sight Bill Rate...and an intermediary processing bank fee may apply.  Time for the check to clear will be in the 2 to 4 week ballpark.

Thai bank blame game decision tree

image.png.29fec7dcc66c24d8bc739756ee0a0b17.png

Archived