How Much Is Your Health Affected By The Smog ?

Ricardo

How Much are You/Your-Family Affected ?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wouldn't even notice it if everyone wasn't whining about it. What a bunch of crybabies.

Stiff upper lip old chaps! :o

UG - I've noticed that you have made many posts pooh-poohing the pollution problems, I'm amazed and I suspect (hope) that I am not getting your sense of humour.

Go to any ENT doctor in the city and look at the queue, read the pollution reports online, compare with almost anywhere else in the world and be very concerned.

Some reports are even suggesting that going outside will remain a bad idea for 3 months (yes, three!):

3 out of our 4 children are coughing, half of the adults in the extended family are similar and everyone I know has that horrible smarting feeling in their eyes.

If it was practical I would be sat on a beach right now down by the gulf on the coast or on an island with all of my family - Chiang Mai is dangerously unhealthy at the moment especially for the young, elderly and weak - FACT.

JxP

If it was practical I would be sat on a beach right now down by the gulf on the coast or on an island with all of my family - Chiang Mai is dangerously unhealthy at the moment especially for the young, elderly and weak - FACT.

JxP

I'm elderly, exceedingly weak. and suffering. :o

I wouldn't even notice it if everyone wasn't whining about it. What a bunch of crybabies.

Stiff upper lip old chaps! :D

UG - I've noticed that you have made many posts pooh-poohing the pollution problems, I'm amazed and I suspect (hope) that I am not getting your sense of humour.

Go to any ENT doctor in the city and look at the queue, read the pollution reports online, compare with almost anywhere else in the world and be very concerned.

Some reports are even suggesting that going outside will remain a bad idea for 3 months (yes, three!):

3 out of our 4 children are coughing, half of the adults in the extended family are similar and everyone I know has that horrible smarting feeling in their eyes.

JxP

as long as The Duke's is not affected by the haze, UG is not affected. :o

I think the step from 'none at all' to 'Sore throat / eyes' is a big one...

For sure I don't have any sore throat or antything, but still I seriously don't like the hazyness, so to say it doesn't affect me at all and I'm just as cheerful as in the rainy season would also not be correct. Also it's anyone's guess if there's longer term health effects.

Still as I don't have any symptoms I had to go for the 'none at all'.

(Also, just having sore throat I think is reason enough to take off to a beach for a while, i.e. relocating?)

Edited by chanchao

I am sealed up in my little cocoon and rarely venture outside...I am feeling the effects. How anyone can say they are completely unaffected is beyond me.

maybee those people do not have a choice but to remain here..so their take is why moan about it...because thy are well and truly stuck here. (Businesses, families, in-laws, schools etc)

However I am fortunate...there is nothing to keep me in CM (except contributing to this wonderful forum and the many freinds I have made here, but no family ties )so I am seriously contemplating leaving. But I don't want to rush anything.

I dont enjoy the best of health anyway ..so this just compounds my personal problems.

There is nothing I can do right now but tough it out.

One or twice a day, my chest feels a little funny for five or ten minutes, and once or twice I have woken up in the night feeling odd, which I attributed, for no very scientific reason, to the bad air. With the possible exception of those experiences, all the effects I am feeling are purely psychological. I do keep the windows closed these days, but have no air purifier and go outside for several hours a day.

Let me guess... you are a chain smoker and produce your own smoke year-round? Or you sit in an air-conditioned Pub all day?

Once my eyes are hurting from the smoke, things are bad. And they are, right now.

Everyone I know around here has a stuffed nose/cold/difficulty breathing.

I have sent my pregnant wife to Bangkok for better air, fer chrissake! How bad must the air be before you hear somebody going to bangkok for an improvement? [bTW she says it doesn't compare, BKK is clear w/ blue skies and everything is happy there]

It kinda feels like you've got ten times the phlegm build-up that you get with a cold. I'm wearing a decent expensive anti-pollution mask 24 hours a day and it's still getting through. If this hits the government's pocket in any way ie. increased expenditure for hospital treatments; then it might be enough to force some major action towards diverting another crisis of this nature.....ahhhh WHO AM I KIDDING???!!!!!

Gf has been sick for 10 days - throat infection, fever - and now I am coming down with it. Have sneezed maybe 40 times today, and coughed maybe 100 times.

Today is the third most polluted day in terms of <PM10s since records began, and *the* most polluted day (the broader air quality index) since records began - so that may explain why it's hit me badly now.

Today we booked two early morning tickets to Krabi. Will check into a resort there with wi-fi: I'll take my work with me. No point in staying here: we're both barely functional, and the authorities don't appear to be planning to crack down on the burning problem, appearances notwithstanding.

Will stay in Krabi/Au Nang for one month minimum; two if the air isn't better in CM in April. And whilst we're there we will look round for somewhere to settle permanently. Then we'll come back here in the rainy season, pack up, and leave.

If you look at the tables I linked to on the other thread, you can se that altho this is the worst year ever, bad years do come along fairly frequently, and every burning season has some "dangerous" days. Couple that with the denial the Thais are in, and I think the situation will only get worse. Maybe next year won't kill you, but the year after might - as it were.

I owe Chiang Mai a lot, but it is no longer liveable IMO.

Stiff upper lip old chaps! :D

I honestly don't feel or smell or notice anything at all unusual and the "smog" just looks like fog to me. If other people weren't talking about it, I just wouldn't even know that anything was amiss.

By the way, I never lived in LA. I lived in San Francisco, right on the beach which has some of the cleanest air in the world.

The funny thing is that I've been in places where smoke pollution bothered me quite a bit, so I am not immune to it - Manilla and Luang Prabang during burning season are two of them.

Don't worry though, I have to get a root canal this week. I will do my fair share of suffering! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I honestly don't feel or smell or notice anything at all unusual and the "smog" just looks like fog to me. If other people weren't talking about it, I just wouldn't even know that anything was amiss.

Autocensored, ...nothing nasty, just started with Bull and ended with sh.t

Edited by KhunMarco

I have a nice case of asthma which is LOVING this pollution! After spending 6k baht on meds that didn't work I simply told my body to shut up and deal with it and bought some extra inhalers. Though working in the open air didn't help, but now I can take a break from that. The ###### artificial rain better not come on my wedding day though:mad: because if it does I am going to have Alanis Morriset stuck in my head....

I thought chaing mai relyed on the tourist trade in particular trekking

can't see how burning the forests and causing this pollution can help tourism or trekking

won't be much left to trek in if it burns down

I thought in thailand when the pocket hurts then they will do something

surely chaing mais pocket hurts right now???????