Probably Asked 100 Times Already.....

StickKettleOn

Forgive me people as I am sure this question has been asked many times already. Actualy there is one simmilar thread going on already.

Im toying with the idea of moving back to Bangers. I have been looking for a new place on Ko Samui recently but whilst I love the place, i am also toying with the idea of a move back to Bangers. The only problem I have is that i just dont know the nicer areas to live.

I lived right in the middle of it before - Suk 8. It was ok I guess, and close to pubs, bars, shops, resteraunts etc - but i would prefer a more leafy area this time around.

So what I am after is a nice apartment in the 15-20K month price range (ill find that myself), not a million miles from ferang friendly stuff but in an area that could be described as 'nice' to put it simply.

It is my own fault i guess - as in the 18 months i lived on Suk i hardly ventured outside of the Suk area. So i guess i dont know Bangers all that well to be honest.

Its been mentioned that Silom is quite a nice area to live?

Thonburi seems nice - ideal actualy from what has been said here. Plenty of trees, chinese style houses, klongs etc etc.... but for me, that may be too far from a decent pub showing the footy and a subway on the way home.

Is there an area of Bangkok that could be described as a ballance between somewhere like Thonburi, and Lower Suk? Somewhere nice to live but close to shops, pubs etc?

Thanks in advance

SKO

I live right next to the river in Phra Nakorn and I really like it. Its much less hectic than right in the centre and generally has abit more culture and greenery. For your budget you could get a nice one bedroom apartment on the river in the Thewet, Dusit, Bang khun prom, Wat sam phraya areas. There is lots of nice bars an food places as you get closer to KSR and the whole area has a nice feel. A big improvement over Sukhumwit.

Jake

The Ari area, where I live, sounds like it may be what you're after.

Much quieter than Sukhumvit and Silom, a bit of greenery around and a reasonable sized farrang contingency: but not so much that it feels touristy or too expat-ey, but enough to mean that you get your farrang ameneties, restaurants, one or two bars, etc.

Some very good Thai, Chinese and Japanese restaurants around too, a couple of gyms, 2 Villa supermarkets and some very good apartments & condominiums which are much better value for money than their over-priced Sukhumvit counterparts. Certainly a nice place can be found in your 15,000 - 20,000 price range.

Also, you're on the skytrain route and only 2 stops down from Chatuchak Market.

I'm very happy there anyway, PM me if you want contact details for someone who has many condos for rent in the area (she doesn't own them actually, but acts as a kind of letting agent for them).

"There is lots of nice bars an food places as you get closer to KSR and the whole area has a nice feel. A big improvement over Sukhumwit."

Although farang might not realize, this is a somewhat more dangerous area. Also, no skytrain/subway.

Kettle,

There are some very nice and quiet Sukhumwit sois if you do some poking around, although 15K baht may be a bit light.

The Ari area, where I live, sounds like it may be what you're after.

Much quieter than Sukhumvit and Silom, a bit of greenery around and a reasonable sized farrang contingency: but not so much that it feels touristy or too expat-ey, but enough to mean that you get your farrang ameneties, restaurants, one or two bars, etc.

Some very good Thai, Chinese and Japanese restaurants around too, a couple of gyms, 2 Villa supermarkets and some very good apartments & condominiums which are much better value for money than their over-priced Sukhumvit counterparts. Certainly a nice place can be found in your 15,000 - 20,000 price range.

Also, you're on the skytrain route and only 2 stops down from Chatuchak Market.

I'm very happy there anyway, PM me if you want contact details for someone who has many condos for rent in the area (she doesn't own them actually, but acts as a kind of letting agent for them).

Agree totally.

Have lived in this area for almost 4 yrs now.....perfect in every way.

Also to the OP, if you drive , the expressway is literally 2 minutes away.

I am living in the Sathorn/Lumphinee area and like it very much, especially after having lived in the Sukhumvit area. The area between South Sathorn Rd, Rama IV, and Bangkok Immigration street is a generally nice triangle of trees, and is a "real" neighbourhood with all services and close to MRT, just one stop to Silom.

Thanks all for the suggestions, great help.

Phra Nakorn is indeed a cool area, a friend of mine rents a flat there for just 7,000 month and its huge with a great view over temples, tress etc. If anything though, I would prefer to be a little more east. Ari and Victory Monument look good. Actually ive checked out Ari and it seems spot on. 5/10 minute BTS to Siam and lots of stuff going on in the area.

One place which looks really very nice and is also in my budget is a new condo block just built in Ari – by the name of 'Noble Light' frustratingly though I can't find a direct website for this place to check out more detail.

Sukhumvit Soi's - thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I am just slow off the mark, but let me tell you I have done some serious walking around Suk from Asoke, up to Washington Square areas on either side, and I have never had any luck. I can't believe for a second that there are no apartments for rent in the 15-20K region in those areas, so again it must just be me. But walking around these Soi's, knocking on doors and asking about rents I'm always told 'full' or '120,000 per month with 3 months deposit and month in advance' !! Suk 22 looks nice to me, at the far end. Fairly quiet but just a few minutes walk up the road and there are bars, places to eat, shopping mall etc. Again, never found a low rent place around there though.

Thong Lo - I don't get it. By all accounts seems to be a cool, trendy area to live from what I have heard/read. To me, it just seemed like one heck of a long busy road with apartments spaced out at huge rents.

Sathorn/Lumphini - that's definitely on my check list. I like the area very much and it's easy to reach Sai Tai Mai bus terminal which I may use from time to time. The quiet areas seem pricey though.

For me, so far I would have to say Ari, Lumphini and Suk Soi's mentioned stand out as appealing. I have a feeling though that I may find more square feet for my budget in Ari.

The area between the National Stadium and the Chao Phrao River (coming from Sai Tai mai) looks kinda cool. Would that be Pinkalao?

Edited by StickKettleOn

One place which looks really very nice and is also in my budget is a new condo block just built in Ari – by the name of 'Noble Light' frustratingly though I can't find a direct website for this place to check out more detail.

I go past that most days and, yes, the building looks very nice. When I go past later I'll see if there's a web site / and or phone number for it and post it here.

Certainly you'll get much more square feet for your Baht in Ari. Sukhumvit is very over-priced in my opinion.

Also there are some very nice places on the other side of the Ari BTS station, along the even numbered sois of Pahon Yothin Road. It's quieter over there too, but maybe even too quiet - getting a motorbike taxi can sometimes be a struggle!

I lived at Inter Change Tower, cannot remember the name of the Soi, but was realy nice and freindly, also all the Thais in the food shops and local shop where really nice as well, being the only ferang along the Soi

Where is this city "Bangers"? I"ve heard about it from time to time on TV, but I've never been able to locate it on a map! Help!

It's in the far-off land of Hurrai Henery. I believe the main towns are Bangers, Singers and Honkers. A land of a thousand bars, each full of a thousand ex-pats, each bemoaning his latest high-paying contract in the loudest of voices ...

But beware the Man from Kay-El. He has super powers.

food is terrible I hear, especially on Paholyothin Soi 7. So are the small bars. That is just for starters.

The sub soi's around there a not terribly pleasant either. The quiteness is almost deafening. Fresh air gives me headaches.

Having too many choices for convient travel (2 expressways, a BTS) just does my head in. I prefer to think that part of my day will be in a traffic jam I can't avoid.

To many houses with gardens there too. I like highrises with views that bake in the sun all day.

As I said, terrible place.

food is terrible I hear, especially on Paholyothin Soi 7. So are the small bars. That is just for starters.

The sub soi's around there a not terribly pleasant either. The quiteness is almost deafening. Fresh air gives me headaches.

Having too many choices for convient travel (2 expressways, a BTS) just does my head in. I prefer to think that part of my day will be in a traffic jam I can't avoid.

To many houses with gardens there too. I like highrises with views that bake in the sun all day.

:o:D

By the way have you tried the new(ish) Italian restaurant on Soi 7, next to Moga Hairdressing school?

Excellent!!

Ari for sure. I know that my personal dream is to live 2 BTS stops from Chatuchak market. kidding aside, I crave wallowing in Sukhumvit squalor, I could live nowhere else. If I want fresh air and trees, I wouldn't be living in this country for certain. Sukhumvit is my Thailand and always will be

Edited by Queers for Fears

I like the area out by Seacon ... there is a reservoir and a big park out there ... very pleasant .... drawback is that for the foreseeable future (6 years at the VERY least) no rapid transit.

By the way have you tried the new(ish) Italian restaurant on Soi 7, next to Moga Hairdressing school?

Excellent!!

Not bad, the best western food in the area in my opinion is the steak place in the new Villa complex, although the Italian is pretty good too. Best Thai food has got to be Suan Kularb on Soi Ari Samphan between sois 2 and 3. Although some of the street food around is very good, especially the seafood place on the corner of Pahon Yothin Soi 7 and Soi Ari 1.

Excellent!!

I don't live out there any more, but I do make a point of hitting the little barbers shop just past Ari Soi 1 on the left. Cut, shave and wash for 140 baht. Unbeatable value. Usually follow up with a feed there too, so will try it next time I'm out.

Desperately want to buy something out that way. Tried looking last year, will try again later this year.

Where is this city "Bangers"? I"ve heard about it from time to time on TV, but I've never been able to locate it on a map! Help!

It's in the far-off land of Hurrai Henery. I believe the main towns are Bangers, Singers and Honkers. A land of a thousand bars, each full of a thousand ex-pats, each bemoaning his latest high-paying contract in the loudest of voices ...

But beware the Man from Kay-El. He has super powers.

But they are ineffective in Changers. In fact, maybe OP nshould move there. I hear the sand storms are sensational.