Importing a car from the UK to Thailand

Hi

I'm considering bringing my current car (ford fiesta st, 1year old as of 2019) to thailand in approximately 2 years time (2020/21).

Has anyone here done this or looked into it? Is it worth it? Am i making a rod for my back?

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I looked at it about 4 years ago for my 5 year old UK BMW.  The import tax was the same as if the car had been new and was prohibitive. I bought a new Toyota here for a lot less less than the import tax and registration costs would have been on the BMW.  Enough said. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, metisdead said:

it would be better to buy a similar car here in Thailand than to import. 

my car in UK is an M5 mapped to 700+bhp.  the cost of one here is way beyond my means and even if it wasn't, the thought of my missus behind the wheel of that on her thai licence is too terrifying to contemplate.  we have a slow, boring yaris here ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/3/2019 at 7:48 PM, mvsaraburi said:

my car in UK is an M5 mapped to 700+bhp.  the cost of one here is way beyond my means and even if it wasn't, the thought of my missus behind the wheel of that on her thai licence is too terrifying to contemplate.  we have a slow, boring yaris here ????

yep, I went from my BMW 535i Sport to a Toyota Vios.  I don't regret it, it's perfect for this place, as I no longer worry about getting dents in Supermarket car parks, but I do miss my in-car toys.  I have a radio/CD player and that's about it.