Changing jobs and Non Imm B - remain in country?

I am changing employer and have a Non-Imm Type B visa.

Normally you have to leave the country after your current employment ends.   

How many days do you have to leave the country? 7 days?

Although I understand good visa agencies can transfer to the new company Type B without you leaving the country (typically companies permitted to use one-stop centre)

Can someone advise

To be technically correct, you apply for an extension which they refuse. They then give you seven days to leave the country.

I once switched employers without having to leave the country, and got it all done in about half a day. If you have full co-operation from both old and new, and if they are located in the same province, it might be do-able. Have the personnel officer of your new employer check in advance with all involved.

20 minutes ago, allane said:

To be technically correct, you apply for an extension which they refuse. They then give you seven days to leave the country.

I once switched employers without having to leave the country, and got it all done in about half a day. If you have full co-operation from both old and new, and if they are located in the same province, it might be do-able. Have the personnel officer of your new employer check in advance with all involved.

Thanks.  Yes, these are big international companies, so it should be technically feasible.    The other option (which I would prefer) would be to exit and get a Non Imm type O (support wife/family) and to get work permit on top of that.  I believe that is also quite a common practice, and I would prefer this as it detaches visa from the job dependency

26 minutes ago, drbrit said:

Thanks.  Yes, these are big international companies, so it should be technically feasible.    The other option (which I would prefer) would be to exit and get a Non Imm type O (support wife/family) and to get work permit on top of that.  I believe that is also quite a common practice, and I would prefer this as it detaches visa from the job dependency

According to the published rules, you absolutely should be able to get a work permit on a Non O visa, and extension of stay based on marriage. However, verify in advance that your local labour office will follow the official rules. It has been reported that the odd rogue office refuses to do so.

• Like 1