Thai man invents pollution free generator that doesn’t need fuel

snoop1130

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one of those Trevor Bayliss radios. after cranking for 120 turns you get about 15 - 20 mins of listening time. However you can install 4 triple A's in it as well and it runs for weeks/months.

Before modern hand held radios and satellite phones - maritime vessels carried a hand crank MF radio in the lifeboats. A crew member hand cranked whilst the Radio Officer (if he survived) could send and receive Morse messages. If no crew member survived that could send or receive morse code - the radio looked like what it resembled, a heavy metal box.

So as already stated - nothing knew in hand cranking/pedalling to get power.

When it comes to energy and power output - the law of diminishing returns always wins. i.e. if you have to put more in than you are getting out - forget it.  

Solar, wind and wave power are the best options. But in LoS this does not work as the equipment needs something called maintenance - a word with no equivalent in Thai.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Cheun Funkai, 75, who retired from his job at the Electricity Authority of Thailand 12 years ago, says he has been working on the generator for more than a decade.

From the photo I'd say 10 minutes tops !!

Why all of the negativity?

If he can power a grinder by winding a wheel for 15 minutes doesn't it stand to reason that the same effect could be multiplied if the winding was continual, e.g. a donkey walking around and around, or water passing over a water wheel?

I go to the gym most days,

If the 10kms I do on the exercise bike powered something like that it wouldn't all be wasted effort.

I often look around the gym and wonder why someone doesn't come up with a way to harvest all that sweat energy 

11 minutes ago, car720 said:

Why all of the negativity?

If he can power a grinder by winding a wheel for 15 minutes doesn't it stand to reason that the same effect could be multiplied if the winding was continual, e.g. a donkey walking around and around, or water passing over a water wheel?

Yes, we have seen it powering a grinder, but so far we don't know if it was for two minutes or two hours?

That's what we're trying to find out, how much power does the device supply when it's fully 'charged'- 1Kw, 10Kw?

As per usual....the "knockers" are straight out of the blocks.

I wonder what it would take for them to have something positive to say about anything. Sad... to have such a dim outlook about life in general?

Thank God I was brought up to be of support to others whenever possible and a "clap on the back" never did anybody any harm (including the giver). Any old fool can "knock" another...it takes a bit of "looking outside oneself".. to see where I can be of assistance, even if it is only just a word of encouragement

14 hours ago, Beggar said:

"gear system which needs to be wound up by hand"

Now imagine you let an animal do this that runs in a circle. What a future proof invention. The water buffaloes could do this. But no idea how many of such things I would need to power my aircons... 

My wife still run in circle between bedroom and Kitchen so it may be functional - as long as it lasts … ????

4 hours ago, balo said:

Nothing new....but he is Thai so credit to him for trying. Most Thai men would not think about anything but their daily food and whiskey. 

And their 24 hour nap time.. 

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

You can't get more out than you put in, the energy used for 15 minuets turning a crank doesn't seem to be a lot

I can't find any data on hand-crank energy production, but a cycle-generator can produce 100-300 Watts depending upon the fitness of the victim.

So let's say he can produce 100W (single arm crank), so in 15 minutes he can get 25Watt/hours into his storage. If we put the efficiency at a realistic 50% that's a 2W LED lamp for 6 hours. Cleaner, safer and generally nicer than an oil lamp.

Trevor Bayliss created the wind up radio many years ago. As others have said, let's not knock what I am sure is a genuine project. Moreover, no details as yet; but if it works and can be made generally available, then good for everyone.

He didn't "invent" anything.

Human energy to generate electricity has been around since the ability to generate is was discovered.

All he has done was to configure some gearing to drive a generator to charge a battery.

Twisted reporting by an ignorant sensation-seeking reporter at it's best.

11 minutes ago, Kiffa said:

I thought I heard 500 Watts, 220 Volts????? 8 hours!!!!!

Having actually watched the video, I'm hearing that too (my Thai isn't wonderful mind).

Total, complete and utter bull!!

EDIT If he's saying he is getting 4,000 watt hours out of a 15 minute crank, I want some of whatever he's smoking.

EDIT 2 His two 100Ahr batteries will (just) store 4000 watt hours if run from fully charged to totally flat. but he's not going to fully charge them with a hand crank generator.

15 hours ago, Beggar said:

"gear system which needs to be wound up by hand"

Now imagine you let an animal do this that runs in a circle. What a future proof invention. The water buffaloes could do this. But no idea how many of such things I would need to power my aircons... 

I heard around Pattaya that all the buffalos are pretty sick and need lots of money for medicine and stuff..

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:
12 minutes ago, Kiffa said:

I thought I heard 500 Watts, 220 Volts????? 8 hours!!!!!

Having actually watched the video, I'm hearing that too (my Thai isn't wonderful mind).

Total, complete and utter bull!!

I didn't hear the part when he said 8 hours.

If he did then that must be 4KwHr, which can't be right for the energy put in.

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

I didn't hear the part when he said 8 hours.

If he did then that must be 4KwHr, which can't be right for the energy put in.

6-8 hours is in the text article, but not the power output.

26 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I can't find any data on hand-crank energy production, but a cycle-generator can produce 100-300 Watts depending upon the fitness of the victim.

So let's say he can produce 100W (single arm crank), so in 15 minutes he can get 25Watt/hours into his storage. If we put the efficiency at a realistic 50% that's a 2W LED lamp for 6 hours. Cleaner, safer and generally nicer than an oil lamp.

A candle would be cheaper

13 hours ago, Yinn said:

Did you watch and listen to the video?

You must be forgetting that the vast majority of TV members who like to think they are so superior, and ready to criticise Thai's intelligence at every opportunity, arent actually smart enough themselves to learn the Thai language.. 

Archived