Blatant abuse of entry denials at Phuket Airport

59 minutes ago, LongTang said:

P.S: This is the Thanks you get for raising the English level of the locals..

Ah, that's the rub! You (the OP) have  been demonstrably improving the level of English among the wrong (i.e. underprivileged) people and word has got out. Next time, make it easy on yourself and insist on only educating the scions of the elite.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You are so missing my point. Also using unrelated hospital story. Fact is op was done over and I so agree so unfair. Fact is now is on his way after nightmare experience. You suggest he waste even more time fighting this in court or whatever. Best to move on. Certainly op hard done by. Let it go. 

I did not suggest he waste time by taking the matter to court. As far as I know, appeals are conducted by senior officers, not courts. I asked a question about appeals in another thread. Someone replied - I think it was Ubonjoe. The answer was that an appeal could be made but the appellant would be detained (for up to 7 days) whilst the appeal was decided.  The OP has already been detained, I was therefore suggesting it might be worth his while to appeal.

Having paid a lot of money for an air ticket, if I was refused entry for no good reason I would certainly appeal. I'd be prepared to be detained for 7 days but I really don't think that would be necessary.  I'd like to think that if there was nothing wrong with my entry, a more senior officer would decide against detention and allow entry.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

I did not suggest he waste time by taking the matter to court. As far as I know, appeals are conducted by senior officers, not courts…

Somebody posted a link to the form TM.11 to be used for an appeal, which according to the indication on the form must be submitted to the Prime Minister and the Minister of Interior.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, LongTang said:

On the contrary, if someone gave 3 years of his life teaching English legally here, then he should be welcomed and not get kicked in his face.

Yes, sounds reasonably to me, under normal circumstances. But we don't know the full story since the beginning, when he first arrived.

Immigration officers will be very aware of anyone working in the past and now visiting as a "tourist".  

It sounds like a reason to call your Embassy and put in a complaint. Not being permitted to fly back to your home country is wrong. Surely there are more flights than every 3 or 4 days to PP (although Wed/Thur is bad for direct). 

Do you think your nationality had an impact?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, dtag said:

the work permit was voided while I was in PP,

There you go then. The work permit should have been cancelled the day you left employment and the extension of stay linked to that work permit should have been cancelled too. You then should have left Thailand the same day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, post said:

Did your visa get voided after your were refused entry?

I am sure his visa will not have been voided. They just put a denial of entry stamp in the passport. It takes up half a page. The visa can be used at a land border. That's what I did anyway.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Surely there are more flights than every 3 or 4 days to PP (although Wed/Thur is bad for direct). 

It has to be the same airline if possible. The airline must agree and Immigration must agree and the denied foreigner has to pay for it. This is what causes the delay. If you say, I want to buy the next Air Asia flight to KL, Immigration will say you can't.

7 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

It has to be the same airline if possible.

I suspect there is only one airline, Air Asia. These people who are denied entry are treated very badly and often made to sign a document confessing to their 'crimes' and agreeing to pay for the privelidge! Their crimes often include arriving with a valid visa. 

• Like 1

I don't claim to be perfect English teacher but I am a native English speaker and you mention that you are a fully qualified teacher although sorry mate your English is far from perfecto-mundo! Therefore I doubt your qualification as a teacher.

I can't see what benefit they (immigration) see for refusing a genuine tourist, this is why I believe you likely have skipped some information out maybe? You already forgot to mention the previous work in Chiang Mai and the previous passport until another member pointed that out and then you forgot which type of visa you held, what else did you skip over or miss out?
He did say he wasn't an ESL teacher, so I expect he was qualified to teach other subjects and not trained in teaching ESL/EFL.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, Caldera said:

That's what happens when a country puts muppets with zero qualifications for the job but huge egos in charge and brainwashes its population to believe in nonsense. A sad state of affairs, really.

OP, thanks for sharing, you have my sympathy.

Unfortunately Thai Immigration laws are loose and open to interpretation.  To get around this all local immigration offices are given scope to apply their own interpretations.

This shows up clearly in the many anecdotal statements by various contributors around the country and if you couple to this partial autonomy the various levels of corruption that exists in different local department is leaves us with one unholy mess to deal with.

I have fortunately developed a good relationship with my local immigration boss where we both enjoy a mutual level of respect.  Many are already aware that each time we do a 1-year renewal the rules change.  I simply tell my local immigration boss she is exactly that and what does she want me to do?  She understands I am trying to do it correctly and is always very helpful,

So fare everything has worked out well - - - For me - - - -

• Like 1
  • Confused 1