SmartDNS Proxy With An AIS Connection

Greenside

Smart DNS Proxy is a service that makes it easy to access geo-blocked services such as TV and streaming providers.  It needs to know your internet IP address and keep it updated constantly in order to work properly and since (as most of us do) I have a Dynamic IP, one of the ways to do this is to use a DDNS service.  AIS provides its own DDNS service (called THDDNS) to enable remote access via port forwarding but just using my host name didn't work at all so I tried the recommended No-IP DDNS provider.  That caused a big problem in that NO-IP was updating my address wrongly about every ten minutes and I'm beginning to suspect that this has something to do with AIS and its implementation of Carrier Grade NAT.  So.....

• Does anyone know how to make a THDDNS host name resolve to a public facing IP address? or
  • Has anyone found a good DDNS service that actually works reliably with AIS Power Package (50/10)?

By the way, I've been very impressed with SmartDNS Proxy's live chat support who spent over an hour sorting out the original problem the THDDNS hostname caused.

Edited by Greenside
lousy proof reading
  • Like 1

That might explain it.  May I ask how you know this and if there is anything published that specifically says that AIS does this?  Maybe that would help me sort something out with the SmartDNS Proxy people as it sounds like there is little point in me trying out other DDNS suppliers.  They must have come across the problem before.

I guess the THDDNS host bypasses the public IP and jumps directly to the private one that AIS has given me.  Is that even possible? 

Something more to think about!

I'm right in thinking that Transparent DNS Proxy is the same as the DNS hijackings that you referred to initially?  If so, it looks like the SmartDNS Proxy servers that I am using don't leak - the advanced test shows OpenDNS, Cisco OpenDNS and Google all of which are in the two locations of the servers configured in my router.  The fact that I can access overseas TV streaming content would seem to confirm that it's working OK.  Just to confirm, I'm not concerned with privacy merely access (or I'd use a VPN).

The goal is to keep my Public WAN IP monitored and updated on Smart DNS Proxy's system.  There is a script that I can run by calling a page in my browser that will do an auto update, so at the moment I'm looking to see if I can schedule a repeating task to do that although I suspect there will be an issue if the computer goes to sleep.

8 hours ago, muratremix said:

Go to 

https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

test your dns, you will see AIS DNS no matter what dns you may enter to your router like 8.8.8.8 etc.

DNS over TLS would work but AIS provided routers doesn't support DNS over TLS.

I'm using AIS and have changed the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 in the router. This test shows Google as ISP and i can also access websites which are blocked when using the AIS DNS server.

32 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm in Thailand with 3bb and use a VPN.  I go to that leak site and get, Hello XX.XX.XXX.XX  from Singapore, Singapore

The x's are numbers

Because your vpn prevents DNS leaks (not all of them capable of doing that). 

39 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I'm using AIS and have changed the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 in the router. This test shows Google as ISP and i can also access websites which are blocked when using the AIS DNS server.

I have AIS in location A and 3BB in Location B in same District.

Both providers does DNS spoofing (redirecting port 53 UDP queries to their own DNS servers)

8 minutes ago, muratremix said:

I have AIS in location A and 3BB in Location B in same District.

Both providers does DNS spoofing (redirecting port 53 UDP queries to their own DNS servers)

Did you set the DNS in the router or in the OS? In case you just set it in the OS it might be that the router is spoofing it for whatever reason

Just to get back on track, I have established that SmartDNS Proxy does work (on my AIS package at least) but I don't think my two original questions have been answered:

• Does anyone know how to make an AIS THDDNS* host name resolve to a public facing IP address? or
  • Has anyone found a good DDNS service that actually works reliably with AIS Power 4 Package (50/10)?

*This is the DDNS that AIS provides to allow portforwarding

15 hours ago, jackdd said:

Did you set the DNS in the router or in the OS? In case you just set it in the OS it might be that the router is spoofing it for whatever reason

It is set up in Router. I've also noticed it leak DNS from openvpn sometimes. 2 out of 3 times it shows AIS in DNS.

12 hours ago, Greenside said:

Just to get back on track, I have established that SmartDNS Proxy does work (on my AIS package at least) but I don't think my two original questions have been answered:

• Does anyone know how to make an AIS THDDNS* host name resolve to a public facing IP address? or
  • Has anyone found a good DDNS service that actually works reliably with AIS Power 4 Package (50/10)?

*This is the DDNS that AIS provides to allow portforwarding

AIS don't give public Ipv4 to most plans (gamer plan for 999 baht has this option and it is best value package, you get 600/600 in total!) and thddns won't provide a public ipv4 because it does packet forwarding internally in thddns system

If you have Fiber to your room/home, you should get a better package than 50/10

I had quad9 dns in my router (9.9.9.9) and I just tested with google dns (8.8.8.8), result is same

Test complete

Query round Progress... Servers found
  1          ......              2
  2          ......              2
  3          ......              2
  4          ......              2
  5          ......              2
  6          ......              2
IP Hostname ISP Country
49.231.71.85 none AIS Fibre Thailandth.png
49.231.71.84 none AIS Fibre Thailandth.png

3 hours ago, muratremix said:

AIS don't give public Ipv4 to most plans (gamer plan for 999 baht has this option and it is best value package, you get 600/600 in total!) and thddns won't provide a public ipv4 because it does packet forwarding internally in thddns system

If you have Fiber to your room/home, you should get a better package than 50/10

My mistake, it's a 50/20 package and it's generally OK for most things but today's results are a bit odd.  Inside Thailand I'm seeing 115/101 AIS CM to AWN BKK and similar to AIS in CM but anything outside SEA is at a crawl: Manchester and London UK are 21/2 (that's not a typo!).  Speeds the same with or without SmartDNS Proxy.  I have noticed that streaming iPlayer has been very poor in the last day or so but for my limited use I don't feel it's worth upgrading from 600 to 100 per month.

Thanks for explaining the impossibility of getting a Public IP from the THDDNS hostname.

For the moment, I'm running the API script in Chrome using Task Scheduler.  It's not an ideal solution but it does update the IP regularly.

All my questions addressed now - thanks to all who contributed.