Tigers kill Italian tamer as parliament mulls ban on circus animals

rooster59

Tigers kill Italian tamer as parliament mulls ban on circus animals

ROME (Reuters) - Four tigers have mauled to death their tamer in southern Italy, fuelling calls for a ban on the use of animals in circuses as parliament debates the issue.

Police said the 61-year-old tamer, Ettore Weber, was attacked by the tigers on Thursday during a training session in Triggiano, a small town in the Puglia region.

All the circus's eight tigers were impounded by the police, triggering protests from animal welfare associations.

The Anti-Vivisection League (LAV) called for the tigers involved in the attack not to be killed, and urged the government to speed up legislation to ban circus animals.

"Tigers must be saved... and placed in an environment suitable for their natural needs", LAV said in a statement.

Parliament is discussing a new bill to ban wild beasts from circuses, after a failed attempt in 2017.

The government has promised to act swiftly if the bill is passed, to the alarm of the national circus association which has announced protest action.

According to a study published in 2017 by the Italian Censis Foundation think-tank, Italy is one of the few European states not to limit the use of animals in circuses.

(Reporting by Angelo Amante, editing by Gavin Jones)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-06

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

All the circus's eight tigers were impounded by the police, triggering protests from animal welfare associations.

I think the tigers should be released into the wild, just after the protesters have been released in the wild too ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

Tigers should be in their own environment and left alone, 

On a side note, but applicable.

Two guys were looking at two tigers in a cage where one was licking the other ones bum.

First guy said why is it doing that?

Second guy said it's just eaten the trainer and trying to get the taste out of it's mouth.

I find no humour in the pain  misery or death of another. May your longevity give you the opportunity to understand that death is your ultimate destination and not a laughing matter if you were to witness it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benmart said:

I find no humour in the pain  misery or death of another. May your longevity give you the opportunity to understand that death is your ultimate destination and not a laughing matter if you were to witness it.

Wild animal so called 'trainers' I class in the same group as tourists who pose for photos with Tigers in various places.

Idiots.

Don't take life and death so seriously. You're a long time dead.

Something on the lines of 2 people die every second in the world.

Am I supposed to be sad about that?

Edited by overherebc

4 hours ago, Benmart said:

2 tigers ate a clown at our local circus, but they said it tasty funny ! ????????????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1