My Friend You

Khon Baan Nok

My girlfriend and I came across a Pattaya bar amusingly named:

"My Friend You"

We continue to ponder the meaning of this, and what underlying Thai phrase it stems from, and how it would be phrased in standard English.

Is it a second person reference pointing to "you", as in:

You are my friend - คุณเป็นเพื่อนผม.

Or is it a third person reference pointing to someone else:

A friend of yours - เพื่อนของคุณ .

A Mongolian friend of ours who seems to be conversant with bar vernacular believes the second example is the correct one. Anybody know for sure?

Tks.

yep, it means 'your friend'.

Strange, as the Thais should say 'friend of you' (roughly from the phonetic Thai 'peu-an kong khun') as they should just simply transliterate - but, hey, i think it's a great little phrase and it always brings a smile to my face...

Their ability to jumble up possessive adjectives is fab - like in a govt place when the solemn looking lady asks me 'what my name?'... it's very tempting to try and guess.

I have had numerous Thai people say 'my friend you' to me, every time, without exception they meant 'your friend', refering to a third person.

Seconded. Simply speaking, in Thai pidgin English, for some reason "my friend" is one word, meaning 'friend'.

And as has been said, the description follows the thing being described...

Why people add a 'my' in front of friend I don't know. It is not a direct translation from any proper Thai expression. My guess is it started with Thai people listening to foreigners mentioning 'my friend' and thinking it meant เพื่อน - Thais often do not specify with possessive pronoun unless it is necessary.

I think it is now being perpetuated by Thais learning from each other. Thais who have studied English formally would not use this, it is something you hear in the bars and tourist areas.

I have had numerous Thai people say 'my friend you' to me, every time, without exception they meant 'your friend', refering to a third person.

Seconded. Simply speaking, in Thai pidgin English, for some reason "my friend" is one word, meaning 'friend'.

And as has been said, the description follows the thing being described...

Why people add a 'my' in front of friend I don't know. It is not a direct translation from any proper Thai expression. My guess is it started with Thai people listening to foreigners mentioning 'my friend' and thinking it meant เพื่อน - Thais often do not specify with possessive pronoun unless it is necessary.

I think it is now being perpetuated by Thais learning from each other. Thais who have studied English formally would not use this, it is something you hear in the bars and tourist areas.

I reckon it is just an example of common bar-girl English entering a more widely based lexicon.

As usual Meadish knows what he's talking about. IMO it definitely stemmed from Thais hearing falang say "my friend" and considering it to be one word.

Sort of like, eh, all those who thought, based upon hearing the lyrics to Purple Haze, that Jimi Hendrix was gay.

scuse me while I kiss this guy :o