Banking Error £590 compensation

Mikisteel

As per the title, the bank (uk) really put me up shiiiit street. Deactivated my card without my knowledge on 26th April. This process provides 30 days of use on the card before it no longer works.

Around 25th may I find out something amiss when my subscriptions advise my card has expired. Call bank get accused of ordering a new card

Blatent lie. Bank keeps me on phone for 67 minutes while they investigate. Bank realises their error

Bank confirms new card now ordered, phone cuts out 2 mins later.

Wait a week, no sign of card

Call bank again, find out as call died the person did not do anything even after realising error and confirming new card been ordered.

Guy I'm talking to orders me new card and without my knowledge.  A New pin. 

New pin can only be activated by a UK atm.

At this point I email them my concern. I'm not too concerned about the initial error but the 67 minute phone call is unforgivable. How can you justify that amount of time and do nothing to help solve problem.

Never mentioned anything like compo.

Get a call from a complaint manager.

Offers me £500 compensation and £90 in call costs.

I was stunned, blown away by the offer? I took it. That was 2 weeks ago that call. My card should arrive this week.

7 weeks with no card has been ok. Our spend during this time has been minimal. Not including rent. I owe the family pot 27k baht. So the 590 nearly covers it.

My friends say I am a fool and could have got much more. I have handled such claims before but not against my bank and I felt it was a decent offer and I need my banks. I think they offered me a great offer.

Imho, you did the right thing. They can make life even more difficult in other ways. For example they could take the view that you may not be ordinarily U.K.resident or some other excuse and close your account. Sweet f.a. you can do about it. They dont even HAVE to give a reason anymore. Hope you get your card.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in Thailand and had a similar problem with my UK bank.

Attempted hack and they locked my account, only found out when I could not access my on-line banking.

For 3 months I could only do telephone banking, from Thailand to UK, because I got incorrect advice that they could send my new card to Thailand, which they couldn't.

I did get some compensation for my phone calls and a little for the inconvenience.

My main point is, do check that they will indeed sent your replacement card to Thailand. My bank consider Thailand a security risk for postal delivery...

Archived