Route to extension of stay based on retirement questions

Looking at the best current option to stay longer than my normal 30 day visa exempt  when entering Thailand again in August - I would qualify for retirement Non Immigration visa based on retirement – But going to the Thai embassy in KL (currently working in Malaysia) just add more time and cost (I would also need  medical certificate + police check from Malaysia that takes 30 days to get + copy of my birth certificate, which I no longer have here) hence

I am considering this route;  

Enter on 30 day visa exempt – Immediately go to immigration and apply for an extension  (30 days) – Then open a Thai bank account and deposit the required 800K (wire in the money from overseas) + extra to live on (Hence no need to touch the 800K) From a timing purpose, would this work out when I then want to extend again. i.e. this time extend for one year based on retirement ?  Have the money been in the Thai bank account long enough?

Should I for any reason leave Thailand – At what point do I need the ‘re-entry permit’ – so that I do not have to start all over again when re-entering ?

Is it better to bring in cash – and get a receipt from immigration on entry to show the funds came from outside Thailand?

Would it be better to get a single entry tourist visa – so I could stay longer to allow me to get everything sorted out (i.e. how long can I stay on a single entry tourist visa + extension of stay (as tourist)  – then do extension of stay based on retirement 800K.

When you are staying with a friend all the time – to show proof of accommodation – would it be enough to get a written declaration stating that fact + a copy of the Thai ID card + copy of the blue book?

I am staying in the district of Chon Buri  - Hence my immigration office would be Jomtien (Physically I am  much closer to Rayong, if it is possible to use immigration there ?

Thanks in advance for advice on this …

Big post to digest. First of all you can enter los visa exempt (you cannot extend straight away) or enter on tourist visa. These can be "converted" at immigration to a non o imm based on retirement. That will have a 90 day until date. In the last 30/45 days you apply for your 12 month permission of stay. Early on you need open bank ac and 2 months prior going to imm for your extension.

Another option is to obtain non o outside of los. As you point out KL not suit you however places like Vientiane may. I did it outside of Thai because was difficult for me to show money came from outside Thai (needed if converting to non o ). No need to show where money came from obtaining non o outside of los.

You deal with the imm office in the province you reside.

Regarding your living arrangement. You will find for bank ac you need a lease or certificate of residence. 

I came to los with au equivalent to 800k baht. Best method hence I needed non o from consulate outside of los

Edited by DrJack54

Hi DrJack54,

Thanks for your reply - Sorry for the long post.

Your comments clear up a few things - 

Since I have no lease to show - Who issue the 'Certificate of Residence' ?  Can that be done on the basis of the TM30 + the invitation letter from the owner of the property?  Alternatively just make up a rental agreement (I have downloaded 2 that are freely available on the net) - Then have the 'Rental agreement' stamped at immigration.  Past stay have been relatively short due to work requirement - Hence limited time to try and open a bank account - which on a visa exempt is not easy (I have been given a possible BB to try on my next visit).

If I understand the current practice correctly

Both the Visa Exempt and the Tourist Visa entry can be converted to non o based on retirement - To make that application - I need to show 800K in the bank - Then 90 days later I apply for a 12 month extension (Intention is not touching the 800K after it was deposited)

A) Would I be correct when I say that : The Visa Exempt allow 30 days - The tourist Visa will allow 60 days.

B) You mention that not able to extend/convert to non o immediately - So would one or two weeks before expiry (30 days or 60 days) be enough time to apply? 

If my understanding is correct regarding A) and B)  - Then enter on a Tourist visa would give me a bit more time to sort out the - Proof of residence and the bank account - which I would need to have in order to make the 'conversion'.

Does that make sense ?

• Like 1

OP - are you doing this in order to stay several years in thailand ?  meaning, you'll continue to do annual extensions of stay using the 800k in the bank method.  if you are just trying to stay for a year or two, it might be easier to use a visa agent.  they'll do the conversion to 90 day non imm O for you plus the one year stay (so you'll get 15 months) and alot of the 'paperwork' (things like your lease, cert of residency, etc..) won't be needed.  i don't know the rate charged by the visa agents in your area but i'd guess 15,000thb.  it might be worth contacting one if you aren't planning for multi year stay.  i do my extensions myself as i spend 8 months a year in thailand and expect to do so going forward (and i started the long stay process via a conversion from a visa exempt using the 800k in the bank method).  just pointing out the agent aspect in case you are not aware.  i'd likely go that route if i was just planning for a year or two stay.

30 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Hi DrJack54,

Thanks for your reply - Sorry for the long post.

Your comments clear up a few things - 

Since I have no lease to show - Who issue the 'Certificate of Residence' ?  Can that be done on the basis of the TM30 + the invitation letter from the owner of the property?  Alternatively just make up a rental agreement (I have downloaded 2 that are freely available on the net) - Then have the 'Rental agreement' stamped at immigration.  Past stay have been relatively short due to work requirement - Hence limited time to try and open a bank account - which on a visa exempt is not easy (I have been given a possible BB to try on my next visit).

If I understand the current practice correctly

Both the Visa Exempt and the Tourist Visa entry can be converted to non o based on retirement - To make that application - I need to show 800K in the bank - Then 90 days later I apply for a 12 month extension (Intention is not touching the 800K after it was deposited)

A) Would I be correct when I say that : The Visa Exempt allow 30 days - The tourist Visa will allow 60 days.

B) You mention that not able to extend/convert to non o immediately - So would one or two weeks before expiry (30 days or 60 days) be enough time to apply? 

If my understanding is correct regarding A) and B)  - Then enter on a Tourist visa would give me a bit more time to sort out the - Proof of residence and the bank account - which I would need to have in order to make the 'conversion'.

Does that make sense ?

Yes makes sense. When I stated you cannot extend straight away, I was referring to visa exempt stamp. That gives you 30 days and can be extended by 30 at immigration. Do that shortly before until date on your entry stamp.

That would give you almost 2 months to organize your bank ac etc. You would then do "conversion" to non 0. That would give you 90 days. Your money seasoned 2 months. You would then apply for 12 month "permission of stay based on retirement". You are not extending your visa.  done then every 12 months Prince and repeat

Your certificate of residence available from imm or embassy. (Unless your au)

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

you indicate that you are planning to wire the funds from overseas.  be aware that depending on your bank, it can be difficult to get funds transferred.  i had a problem with wells fargo in the USA.  they limited my wires to 5,000 at a time and 15,000 per month.  that was a couple yrs ago so maybe things have changed.  i initiated the first wire while i was in USA.  (i set the thai account up on an earlier visit). then a second wire once i'd arrived in thailand, i had to get 'authenticated' over the phone in order to get that wire processed.  on the third wire, they changed the authentication process to text message only and it had to be to a USA phone (my USA phone is not GSM, verizon).  so i ended up having to delay my conversion from tourist visa to non imm O for an entire year due to my travel schedule (wasn't going to be in country for longer than 60 days at a time for next 12 months).  a year later, i arrived visa exempt (rest of money wired in while i was in usa) and did the conversion and then the one year extension of stay.  suffice to say, the money transfer part was not fun !!!!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

DrJack54 & Buick

Thanks for valuable feedback - much appreciated. Now have a much better route aligned going forward.

Just one added note. If you decide to bring your money in cash with you, then you will need to have some proof it came from overseas. I cannot advise on method of proof as I did not do a "conversion" to non o inside Thailand. I obtained non o in Vientiane. In that case there is no need to show where money came from. You do not (as yet have bank a/c so wiring it here has some small jumps. People will suggest transferwise or OFX etc, however the best way (apart from security) is to bring the cash and exchange at superrich (green). There is no limit on bringing foreign currency into Thailand however amounts over 20kusd must be declared. A member recently informed me that this has been reduced to 15k. So check that out. Also note if landing somewhere (connecting) and need to clear customs then need check out that limit also. I stuffed up once coming home to bkk and rather than direct I spent few days in Saigon. I had about 30k USD and realized on plane that Vietnam has limit 5k. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1