Indefinate Leave To Remain ! What A Con!

she will have to attend an ESOL citizenship with materials course.

She has to prove she has advanced a level to obtain settlement. I.e. grade from level 1 to level 2.

Anybody got any comments on this.

I cannot understand yet another variation on the guidance that are well published.

ESOL to L3 with the Citizenship requiremet or the LITUK certificate.

This suggests an improvement of just a level from 1 to 2 will satisfy the requirements, I find this hard to understand.

Any views?

Good Luck

Moss

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my partner (not married) got ILR last year, i asked what happens when her Thai passport runs out and they said i have to pay for another visa, then it was about £500 i think, so in a few more years i will have to pay another visa fee which according to posts here it is even more expensive. what a con. i got e mail from home office saying she could apply 1 month before her 2 year visa finished we travelled all the way to Liverpool and were told we were 2 days to early and in fact it was 28 days not a month. when i showed them the e mail they said it was the senders interpritation of 28 days being a month. so i had to go home and make the trip again 3 days later.

my best advice to anybody having problems is contact your MP i have numerous times and always got results. the Home Office have a special department for dealing with MPs questions and it certainly gets results this way.

good luck to all trying for me the whole process of tourist visa 2 year visa and ILR visa was a nightmare from start to finish. we even travelled from Samui to BKK to atend an appointment at Embassey, we travelled 18 hours by ferry train etc only to be turned away after a couple of minutes with no explanation. i sent e mail to ambasador, MP and Forirgn Office i got reply from Entry Clearance officer saying she had over stayed on tourist visa. when i pointed out if he had took the time to turn the page on her passport he would have seen a visa extension granted in Uk he apologisied and told me just to post her passport back to BKK and they would grant the 2 year visa without any supporting documents or interview. suprising what those ars****es in the embassey can do when they want.

Mr Hecky,agreed with you there sir on a few points.

Embassy staff can be, well we all know and somewhere on this forum it was commented that they have only 10mins to make the decisions on the evidence provided with the application.

I think all will agree that the time limit is insuffient.

Yes I have posted somewhere that if feel mistreated or unfairly by the embassy contact your local MP.I did.

As to your point here,being that your GF has already got ILR but her Thai passport is due to run out?? yes/no??

You were told that if her passport runs out you must apply for ILR again.

if above is correct,then they have lied to you.Just because her thai passport runs out it does not mean you need a new visa.

Last week I posted about Thai passport Renewals and having done the 9yards this week its painless.

Am i missing something here??

delboy

my partner (not married) got ILR last year, i asked what happens when her Thai passport runs out and they said i have to pay for another visa, then it was about £500 i think, so in a few more years i will have to pay another visa fee which according to posts here it is even more expensive. what a con.

Take it easy (who were they?) When your g/f's passport expires she renews it at the Thai embassy in UK. For any subsequent travel she simple carries both old and new passport when she enters UK. The passport expires but the ILR does not. If for some reason you wanted the ILR transferred to the new passport it would currently cost you £150 (never has been £500)

i got e mail from home office saying she could apply 1 month before her 2 year visa finished we travelled all the way to Liverpool and were told we were 2 days to early and in fact it was 28 days not a month. when i showed them the e mail they said it was the senders interpritation of 28 days being a month. so i had to go home and make the trip again 3 days later.

It's much simpler just to stick the application in the post as I believe most people do, there is no need for presenting the application personally.

UPDATE.

This is the letter i wrote to my local MP. The prime ministers office, the Home office complaint and public enquires. These letters/emails are the outcome so far.

Dear Sirs,

Please see my complaint I have about the new immigration rules. I have copied these emails to my local M.P. The Prime Minister. The complaints office at the Home office. I will be sending this to Newspapers and The T.V. if a suitable outcome is not reached.

Sent: 16 March 2007 14:30

To: IND Public Enquiries

Subject: complaint on new settlement rules.

Marc Burden writing on behalf of my wife,

16/3/7

Dear Sirs,

I am writing with reference to the indefinite leave to remain visa rules that are to implement the start of April.

My wife came to England from Thailand on 10/5/5/, on a marriage visa. We got married September 05, and applied for and received the limited leave to remain visa. This visa gives 2 years. Therefore it is due to expire October 31st 2007.

I looked on the internet yesterday 6 months in advance to see what would be needed for the indefinite leave to remain visa, and was shocked at what I read.

The home office website says from the start of April all people wishing to apply for settlement has to pass a “Life in the UK Test”, before sending indefinite leave to remain visa application.

This is a multiple choice test on a computer. Cost - £35. (Nearest one 15 miles away)

My Wife can only read and write very very little. The above is impossibility.

Therefore she has to attend an ESOL course with citizenship materials.

£80 for 10 x 2hr lessons.

The immigration and nationality directorate quotes, “on average students take between 200 and 450 hours of tuition for each ESOL level”.

In my opinion people who already have a limited leave to remain visa, should have been exempt for this new rule. Or should have been informed at the point of receiving this limited leave to remain visa, that this test would be a requirement to achieve settlement.

My wife only went to school for four years in Thailand due to being raised on a rice farm, and coming from a very poor family.

Therefore she would start the ESOL course at level 1, as she cannot read or write any English. And to progress to level 3 would take a very minimum of 600 hours. (A cost at £80 for ten two hour lessons – A minimum of £2400 a maximum of £5400 to get to level 3), Very expensive, money we definitely do not have.

I have been trying for 3 days to try and find a college/school that does this course and nowhere does it. A lot of the colleges say that they have not received any information on this new course yet and have not been trained. I have contacted Learn Direct as the link says in the home office Immigration and Nationality Directorate. Learn Directs have scoured their database and the nearest course to me is Oxford which is 60 miles away. I have tried over 20 colleges/schools. I am going round in circles a couple I have found are full and have no idea when we can get a place. We were told to call back September.

QUESTIONS

Does my wife just have to show progress in this course i.e. the course has entry level 1 -3 then goes on to level 1-3. If my wife started the course at entry level 1 and progressed to entry level 2 is this sufficient?

Also one of the colleges I called said that as long as she attended a minimum of 20 hours tuition this would be sufficient also, as long as the college sent a letter.

Can we get any help with the costs of this tuition?

Why has the government started this new requirement with out telling any one, this was never mentioned to me when I obtained the limited leave to remain visa?

If this was done I would have had 2 years to prepare. Now with only 5 months remaining I will have to pay for an extension on the visa plus tuition plus the money for the settlement visa.

Why has the government implemented this without having the schools and courses available for tuition?

How is this possible for us to achieve when no colleges or schools do the courses?

And when you do find a school or college it is fully booked for the next 6 months.

The nearest school that does this has a waiting list until at least September and can’t guarantee a place then and is 20 miles away. My wife does not drive so I would have to take her and wait in the car with our 7 month old son for 2 hours while she does her lesson. The times for this course are 6 - 8pm Wednesdays.

I don’t get home from work till 5.15 then would have to travel 20 miles in rush hour in 45 minutes.

The next one closest school is 1 mile away but doesn’t do the course with citizenship, which would mean getting to level 3 then attempting the computer test alone with self taught from the hand book. Times for this class are 9.30 - 11.30 Wednesdays which means my wife would have to lose a day off work every week, which may not be a possibility (works part time ) Then pay for a babysitter for 3 hours a week.

The living in the UK test is stupidly hard and in my eyes irrelevant to living in the UK.

I don’t feel the questions in the test are relevant and necessary to live in the UK.

We will have to apply for an extension as the current visa is up October and there is no way she will learn to read and write and to progress one level or to achieve the skills to complete the living in the uk test before then. (A process that takes us around 5 years of daily schooling to obtain this level)

QUESTION

How long will the visa extension be for when we will have to apply?

When she gets the certificate or relevant qualifications will I have to pay £325 again?

I work 10 hours a day my wife 6 hours part time 5 am until 11am, we have a 7 month old baby, which we already have to juggle jobs and times to take care of.

When do we get time to do this!

And how are we supposed to afford this?

To me this seems a very unfair and expensive way the government is charging me and my family to stay together. When this was never mentioned to us at an early age. This whole visa process for my wife has been very stressful from the start and now it seems the government just want to get more money out of us, by a way of deception. This is totally unfair the way this has been implemented and no one has informed or pre warned us.

I am extremely unhappy about this and will be copying this letter to my M.P., The P.M, the newspapers and the T.V.

The way the Government has implemented this and not told anyone is shocking.

My family and I are becoming very stressed and sick over this matter, a problem that we cannot seem to find an answer to, and a problem no one else seems to care about. We are going round and round in circles, spending hours searching for a course that doesn’t seem to exist, and worrying where the college fees will come from.

Yours sincerely

Marc Burden

To: "Marc Burden" <[email protected]>

Subject: RE: complaint on new settlement rules.

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:37:30 -0000

Dear Mr Burden,

Thank you for your enquiry. I am sorry that you are dissatisfied with the introduction of the Knowledge of Life and Language requirements for people applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.

Please be advised that your wife will not be required to reach ESOL Level 3, however she will need to gain an approved English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) qualification by attending an ESOL course which includes citizenship materials at a local college.

Addresses and contact details of test centres can be found on the Life in the UK Test Website at www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk Alternatively, you can contact the Life in the UK Test Helpline on 0800 015 4245. They will also be able to provide additional information regarding the required level of progression or hours of tuition and whether assistance with fees is available.

If your wife is granted an extension to her Limited Leave to Remain as your Spouse, she will be granted an additional two year period. You are required to pay the fee for this and any subsequent applications for Limited Leave to remain or Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Yours sincerely,

Elaine Newman

Managed Migration

If you intend to reply to this e-mail, please ensure that you re-send all the information from your original enquiry.

Dear Mrs Newman

Thank you for your reply however I do have a few more questions.

What Qualification does she need to achieve and at what level. If she joins the course at entry level 1, what level does she have to get a qualification at?

There are 3 entry levels, then 3 levels. Can she get a qualification when she passes entry level 1 and progresses to entry level 2? Would this be a sufficient qualification?

On the home office website it says "An average student takes between 200 and 450 hours to progress one level". At £133 for 20 hours this cost is going to run into thousands of pounds and take years (with only so many spaces at the college, and only 1 class a week and so many terms a year) how am I expected to pay for this, when my wife has just had a baby and she only works part time? This cost is not including the visa extension costs.

Why we were not informed of this new rule when we applied for our limited leave to remain visa?

If we had known at this time it would have given us 2 years to prepare.

Why have we not received any letters/emails or any notification about this?

I understand that rules and laws change, but to just implement this with no warning to any one is outrageous and unfair. You are forcing people to have to pay for extra visa extensions. There are hundreds maybe thousands of people out there who know nothing about this law.

If the law is to implement this new rule it should be people entering the U.K. after April 2007 should be affected by this and people applying for limited leave to remain visas. That way everyone can be informed with at least 2 years notice.

I will be copying this email to my local M.P. The Prime Minister, Complaints Department of the Home Office, Newspapers and the T.V.

Yours sincerely

Marc Burden.

I have also recieved one from the Home office (on letter)

This basically says:-

I am sorry you feel the need to complain, Your letter has been passed to the relevant business area to deal with the issues you have raised. If i have contacted my MP i need to contact them for further information.

So still basically no help.

My sincerest sympathies for your grief.

There is no easy way out. I had an experience with my Thai brother in law who I sponsored to learn English in

Churchill School of English Ramsgate, and his failure to get a visa prompted me to see my MP Jonathen Aitken,

he was impressive in a face to face situation with my wife and I, dictating a letter to the Home Office minister

right in front of us.

It resulted in impressive letters with zero result.

My feeling all along with the MP was he was happy just to pay lip service to our complaints, but was never going

to move heaven and earth to help us.

Maybe your MP has more gumption,,,I hope so.

my partner (not married) got ILR last year, i asked what happens when her Thai passport runs out and they said i have to pay for another visa, then it was about £500 i think, so in a few more years i will have to pay another visa fee which according to posts here it is even more expensive. what a con.

Take it easy (who were they?) When your g/f's passport expires she renews it at the Thai embassy in UK. For any subsequent travel she simple carries both old and new passport when she enters UK. The passport expires but the ILR does not. If for some reason you wanted the ILR transferred to the new passport it would currently cost you £150 (never has been £500)

i got e mail from home office saying she could apply 1 month before her 2 year visa finished we travelled all the way to Liverpool and were told we were 2 days to early and in fact it was 28 days not a month. when i showed them the e mail they said it was the senders interpritation of 28 days being a month. so i had to go home and make the trip again 3 days later.

It's much simpler just to stick the application in the post as I believe most people do, there is no need for presenting the application personally.

thats good to know, i specifically asked what hapens when her passport runs out at the office in Liverpool, the woman who gave is the ILR said you have to apply and pay again. i thought as you say it should be just a case of carring the old passport with the visa in it but the home Office employee said not. as i undertand it she can extend her present passport for another 5 years.

as for posting passport, never again my got stolen in the post on its way to the Birmingham Thai Consul and it was registered mail as well. it was a mad rush to peterborough to get a new passport then to Birmingham to get non O to come back

we are spending more and more time in Thailand as in 7-8 months a year so i think they can and will remove the ILR.

thanks for the info on the visa though, i cannot remember what i paid for the ILR in Liverpool but i am sure it was more than £150, either way i am just glad it is all over

as i undertand it she can extend her present passport for another 5 years.

If your g/f has the older Thai passport it can be extended for another 5 years only once (Max 10 years). The new epassport (biometric) that are now being issued cannot currently be extended.

i cannot remember what i paid for the ILR in Liverpool but i am sure it was more than £150, either way i am just glad it is all over
You should be glad its all over ILR used to cost £335 but will increase to £750 on 1st April. The transfer of an existing ILR to a new passport is different and is currently £150.

Big Spuds and others,

Whilst i wholeheartedly endorse complaining about any aspect of our visa and immigration system , you do know of course that nothing will change .

My way of dealing with all the hassle , expense and inconvenience that they put us through is as follows. Get your partner a UK passport at the earliest opportunity , and then having done so claim every kind of benefit you possibly can from this nasty government . One way or another you will eventually get all your money back and more. Unfortunately for me i have always been a nett contributor to the economy , but if i can live long enough past retirement i hope to eventually get it all back with interest. That thought gives me some comfort.

MP Jonathen Aitken, mr oneeyed John blimey theres a name from the past.

being from Margate I dealt with MP Roger Gale and thought he was fantastic.

Still the post from atlastaname sends out the message ,

Get Britsh passport and screw this country big time.

Love it!!

but.....

It does not solve this immediate problem,solving it is a problem.

Best of luck

delboy

, but if i can live long enough past retirement i hope to eventually get it all back with interest. That thought gives me some comfort.
What makes you think there will be any money left by the time you retire and your ethnic group is in the minority when the country is governed by a decendant of asian immigrants? The rules will be different then :o

Ha - why wait till retirement - you wont get much then anyway - the people putting money in wont be able to support the out take !.

Suggest you get all your asessts offshore then claim your "tax return" back in the UK

There are so many charges now the government makes - increasing visa and passport fees - they are just stealth taxes without real justification - and it seems now that the elected government are hitting some of the no-so-well off people harder.

Some of these taxes stink - look at hospital telephones (dont use your mobile in the hospital because it will interfere with machines pure BS) and car parking ! TV Licences and National Insurance - just taxes...

Seems overall that taxes, scams and gotchas are ever increasing, and people are having to use all sorts of means to get what they should of gotten easily. For people that dont have the drive or wherewithall, the system will eat them up.

To the OP, I do hope you get things sorted. I went through a similar thing many years ago, but it is alot harder and more expensive now. I found the Joint Council for the welfare of Immigrants (JCWI) service and resources very useful. Also there are some free Immigration Advisory Centres (IAC) around the UK that oferred some help. Some councils help people with respect to education, so it may be worth explorng if they can offer financial assistance or discounts on the course. There may also be better people to deal with inside of the IND, than others - but fraid I cant help there.

If the IND make a mistake you can certainly turn this into an advantage to help you.

Also there are some online petitions with respect to these changes and charges - other posts on here mention them. I wonder what the Erupean Angle is on this ? Seem that Eurpean law is alot fairer on families and the pocket.

Ulmimately as has been mentioned here you can go live in another european country for a while then get a euopean wide visa, which will let you come back to the UK. I dont knwo the detaisl but it is mentioned on this board. This way will be cheaper and may not have the language requirements, but will take longer to get a UK passport and then all the tests, costs and so on will apply, unless the new government by then has changed things - but undoing stuff that earns is not allways in the interests of the government (makes you surprised that they are actually there chosen by the people for the people !)

If you feeling anti government then the film V is good to watch.

Big Spuds and others,

Whilst i wholeheartedly endorse complaining about any aspect of our visa and immigration system , you do know of course that nothing will change .

My way of dealing with all the hassle , expense and inconvenience that they put us through is as follows. Get your partner a UK passport at the earliest opportunity , and then having done so claim every kind of benefit you possibly can from this nasty government . One way or another you will eventually get all your money back and more. Unfortunately for me i have always been a nett contributor to the economy , but if i can live long enough past retirement i hope to eventually get it all back with interest. That thought gives me some comfort.

Like another poster said, it wont change a damm thing writing these letters, but if i sit on my ass and do nothing i am making it easy for these people who make up these RULES, and they get away with thinking every one is ok about it. Someone mentioned there are petitions you can sign. Does anyone know where i could sign one of these or start a new one?

SPUDS,

I totally sympathise with your plight. This Governments movement of the goalposts has caught many of us without sufficient warning to properly prepare. Indeed it is obvious that they have not organised this due to the fact that there are very few of these ESOL with citizenship courses to be had. Indeed my wife know of someone who would be due to apply for ILR 28 days before 7th May. This lady can speak very competently but cannot read or write English an has only just found out about the rule change.

Luckily as soon as I heard about change of rules just before Christmas I managed to go with my wife and secure her a place on just such a course which she has been attending and by all accounts she gets a certificate this Monday.

I can confirm that as far as I am aware this Esol with citizenship has nothing to do with Esol 3. It is designed for those reach out to those people not at that standard and who would not be able to pass the stand alone Life in the UK test. It seems therefore any course that is listed as having citizenship materials will do the trick for you and this is the area you need to concentrate. In your post above you suggest there is a course of 10 x 2hr lessons for £80. This sounds like the course for your wife and I think you need to investigate this further.

What does also seem to have emerged from your coversation with enquiries is that after you have paid for further leave (assuming your wife would not be able to apply for ILR) they do not charge you the full £750 for indefinite leave after your wife passes the Esol with citizenship course. Am I reading this correctly ? If this is the case then it just means that your wife will be a little later in obtaining her ILR than originally thought.

Best wishes

Edited by Vulture

What does also seem to have emerged from your coversation with enquiries is that after you have paid for further leave (assuming your wife would not be able to apply for ILR) they do not charge you the full £750 for indefinite leave after your wife passes the Esol with citizenship course. Am I reading this correctly ? If this is the case then it just means that your wife will be a little later in obtaining her ILR than originally thought.

Unfortunately there wont be a discount to the £750 fee when he eventually applies for ILR but the £395 for FLR will at least give his wife another two years to reach the standard required, not ideal and I know and it's money he was not expecting to pay but it should be doable and a less stressful solution. Good luck with it.

Called the home office today,

Got a bit of an update.

As my wife does not read or write english, she will have to attend an ESOL citizenship with materials course.

She has to prove she has advanced a level to obtain settlement. I.e. grade from level 1 to level 2.

Looking on the H.O. website it says it will take between 200 - 450 hours to progress a level.

At £80 to 10 X 2 hour lessons you do the maths (expensive)

As this will take time the H.O. will get a further £325 to extend her current visa (for how long who knows)

Then a further £325 when she has proof (certificate) she has inproved.

All courses are free to uk citizens ( why would you want to do this if you are one?)

And because until settlement is obtained no recourse to public funds is stamped on her current visa!

A Con!!!

Mahout given that they have quoted the above to him it looks like the foreign call centre has misunderstood our Big Spuds plight of visa application in October then ?

Called the home office today,

Got a bit of an update.

As my wife does not read or write english, she will have to attend an ESOL citizenship with materials course.

Looking on the H.O. website it says it will take between 200 - 450 hours to progress a level.

At £80 to 10 X 2 hour lessons you do the maths (expensive)

As this will take time the H.O. will get a further £325 to extend her current visa (for how long who knows)

Then a further £325 when she has proof (certificate) she has inproved.

All courses are free to uk citizens ( why would you want to do this if you are one?)

And because until settlement is obtained no recourse to public funds is stamped on her current visa!

A Con!!!

Mahout given that they have quoted the above to him it looks like the foreign call centre has misunderstood our Big Spuds plight of visa application in October then ?

Vulture, was that a quote or is that BIGSPUDS interpretation, He mentions a figure of £325 but it currently is £335 and increases on April 1st to £395. I would like him to be correct but the odds are against him.

Just a thought, maybe Scouse can answer.

Is it a requirement that a person should have ILR before applying for citizenship? If not ,with the increase in fees, it would be better for BIG SPUDS and others to go for the cheaper FLR when the LTR expires then after 3 years in country go straight for citizenship. (would still have to pass the 'life in UK' test but has time to prepare.)

Just a thought, maybe Scouse can answer.

Is it a requirement that a person should have ILR before applying for citizenship? If not ,with the increase in fees, it would be better for BIG SPUDS and others to go for the cheaper FLR when the LTR expires then after 3 years in country go straight for citizenship. (would still have to pass the 'life in UK' test but has time to prepare.)

as I understand...

the rules for citizenship are basically that one should be in the UK for 'x' amount of time, without restriction on stay, before they are eligible for citizenship.

This means, ILR, which is the (only) visa where you can be in the UK without restriction on your stay.

I'm sure scouse will tell me if I'm off track here.

For the purposes of naturalisation, the applicant does need to possess ILR. Where qualification is on the basis of marriage, the requirement is to have ILR at the date of application, otherwise ILR has to have been held for one year.

Scouse.

Ok my Wife has a year to do this test, etc... So where tyo start, better start now as it seems like it may come round quickly by the looks of O.P worries!

So from the begging whats it all about! I phoned up the Learning links and they do not offer a Entry ESOL 3 with Citizenship, nor do any of the others? My Nana is Irish if that helps!

:o

Edited by lopburiguy

Increase in minimum age - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=0#entry1219433

Why aren't the whingers and moaners on this thread complaining about this increase in age regulations? Oh, I forgot, you are all too selfish bleating about your problem and as your wife/partner is presumably over 21, you don't care about this or any new regulation that does not affect you.

Increase in minimum age - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=0#entry1219433

Why aren't the whingers and moaners on this thread complaining about this increase in age regulations? Oh, I forgot, you are all too selfish bleating about your problem and as your wife/partner is presumably over 21, you don't care about this or any new regulation that does not affect you.

i agree with the increase in the age regulation, personaly i don't believe that most people are mature or financialy stable enough to be getting married at 18 or 19.

BB

Well Mr Hippo, you don't mince your words do you?

As you will see from my post on that link you attached , i AM complaining about the proposed increase in age. Also for your information , i am not one of the "bleaters" you are referring to. Personally i couldn't really care less what the visa fees are , we are all of sufficient substance here to pay them i'm sure. Doesn't mean i don't think they are unfair or a rip off cos i do. I will leave the "bleating" about visa fees to the regulars here who do.

i agree with the increase in the age regulation, personaly i don't believe that most people are mature or financialy stable enough to be getting married at 18 or 19.

BB

Posts like this just make me long for the not too distant day when i can pack my bags and leave the UK forever , to reside in a country where some freedoms still exist.

BB

Posts like this just make me long for the not too distant day when i can pack my bags and leave the UK forever , to reside in a country where some freedoms still exist.

Why? most 18 or 19 year olds are either just finished or still in full time education, why would people even be thinking about marriage at that age. While i have no idea of statistics, i would presume a very high divorce rate in the uk for teen marriages.

BB

P.S as far as i know, you can still get married in the uk at 16 and from what i've read thats not changing.