Medical check up in Bangkok- Recommended?

Scouse123

I am going to book a medical check up which I have put off for far too long. I feel fine and in reasonable health. Non smoker, very light drinker.

I did have major surgery in 2005 at Bumrungrad, which was fantastic and I am happy I went there for it was  a life saving operation. Excellent service.

What I did learn from that experience is that many of the surgeons and doctors work a circuit of hospitals and are not tied to any particular one.

That being the case and bearing in mind that the prices differ widely but the annual check ups are basically the same, can anybody give any recommendations based on personal experience on costs and value for money of a good hospital for a check up? Bumrungrad is coming in expensive.

Has anybody used Phyathai 2 hospital please? They are offering a comprehensive package at 22,500 baht. Samitivej hospital doing a package for over 55s at 23,400 baht.

I am 57 years old, it seems to make a difference on packages.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

Why not start at a commercial lab, and see if anything is out of the proper ranges, which are usually listed on the report.  Hate to say it, but they frequently upsell you on more unnecessary tests at the private hospital physicals.  They sent a friend for an mri for 12000, and turns out the spot they saw at the physical was a speck of dust on the slide. Prolab BangKapi was recommended by my friend at CMF Lab Chiang Mai... 899 is the promo, and they go up to 4200..for very extensive lab work.. But 899 includes the lipid panel. 

• Thanks 1

If you need a medical check-up or blood tests, I would recommend medconsult clinic, much cheaper than the big hospitals but it is a british gp. They are reliable and have a quicker turn around.

I will try to get their price leaflet for checkup packages

I think I paid around 3500 baht with my pap smear etc.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dejenny80 said:

If you need a medical check-up or blood tests, I would recommend medconsult clinic, much cheaper than the big hospitals but it is a british gp. They are reliable and have a quicker turn around.

I will try to get their price leaflet for checkup packages

I think I paid around 3500 baht with my pap smear etc.

I have never done an annual check up I just think it's time as now 57. I have no health issues that I know of and I am slightly overweight if you look at BMI calendars and believe their guidelines, but non smoker, very light drinker and I exercise.

It is this PSA test I am hearing about for my age group. My last blood tests in the UK revealed nothing at all, they told me.

The other thing is you get a long list from the hospitals about what they are checking and I don't know if these are all performed with simple blood tests and then you have to think are they just ' thickening up the package ' as in the list of checks they say they carry out to justify their charges?

Lots of hospitals do a package or new year promotion. I had one at Bangkok Christian Hospital for 4300 baht including EKG, chest x-ray, upper abdominal ultrasound, plus cholesterol and several other blood tests, urinalysis etc. There's a sliding scale of packages available, but the thing that really drives up the cost are CT scans. 

• Like 1

I had it done at Bum a couple years ago for 20,000.  They have an entire floor dedicated to this. Great experience.

Just a warning....

If anything shows it can be used against you in the future as a "prior condition" if you file an insurance claim in Thailand.  All the hospitals have access to each other's records.

So, if you have let's say high cholesterol when you have the wellness check, and a few years later have heart problems and end up in a Thai hospital, it may be denied if you claim it on insurance.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Lots of hospitals do a package or new year promotion. I had one at Bangkok Christian Hospital for 4300 baht including EKG, chest x-ray, upper abdominal ultrasound, plus cholesterol and several other blood tests, urinalysis etc. There's a sliding scale of packages available, but the thing that really drives up the cost are CT scans. 

Lamya13,

I won't use them anymore after they previously misdiagnosed my throat cancer.

However, thank you for the heads up on costs. The costs do seem to vary widely dependent on whether or not it is a Wellness center / Clinic or a hospital. It is purely an annual check up I am seeking. No ailments to speak of, apart from getting older!

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I had it done at Bum a couple years ago for 20,000.  They have an entire floor dedicated to this. Great experience.

Just a warning....

If anything shows it can be used against you in the future as a "prior condition" if you file an insurance claim in Thailand.  All the hospitals have access to each other's records.

So, if you have let's say high cholesterol when you have the wellness check, and a few years later have heart problems and end up in a Thai hospital, it may be denied if you claim it on insurance.

Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of that kind of information sharing to be honest. It doesn't apply to me but it's good to know.

• Like 1