"Non-RG" Visa?

Basic question...

I recently came back from abroad. I noticed my entry stamp says, "Non-RG." OK: Non=Non-immigrant. R=Retired (I have Retirement visa). What's the "G?"

While I'm asking basic questions, if someone asks me what type of visa I have, can I say O-A visa? Is there another way to say "Retirement visa?"

Thx.

entry-small.png.ab66d8e51ffd2cf4f7244720a78b99ba.png

visa-small.png.b51b6424600de9d62455d6ae4390b224.png

I think he just botched it up when he was writing it and it should of been NON-RE which means non immigrant re-entry which means you were using a re-entry permit to keep your extension of stay valid.

Your original visa entry is still a non-o.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think he just botched it up when he was writing it it should of been NON-RE which means non immigrant re-entry which means you were using a re-entry permit to keep your extension of stay valid.

Your original visa entry is still a non-o.

Is that actually an extension of stay based on retirement and not an O-A visa?

2 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Is that actually an extension of stay based on retirement and not an O-A visa?

Yes it is and it expires on October 25th going by the admitted until date on the entry stamp.

Ah, I guess I can see maybe he makes an "E" as a half circle plus a line.

Yup, my visa expires on Oct. 25 every year. Great anticipation for my annual excursion to CW. (Not.)

(Without googling it, sorry...) What's the difference between my visa ("Retirement," I guess), and an O-A visa ("LONG STAY/retirement")?

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa-o-a-long-stay

And an unrelated question: 
A friend said he heard "proof of health insurance was required by those that apply for OA visa outside Thailand." Well, I guess this wouldn't apply to me. But are there threads about this on T/V I wonder?

1 minute ago, OliverKlozerof said:

What's the difference between my visa ("Retirement," I guess), and an O-A visa ("LONG STAY/retirement")?

You do not actually have a valid visa now. You have been getting extensions of the 90 day stay you got from one based upon retirement which is what the stamp you have states image.png.16d230740eefb4921cdb5519b9f44040.png. 

A OA visa can only be applied for at a embassy or official consulate in your home country or country of legal residence. It allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue.

12 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

A friend said he heard "proof of health insurance was required by those that apply for OA visa outside Thailand." Well, I guess this wouldn't apply to me. But are there threads about this on T/V I wonder?

It has been approved in concept apparently but it has not gotten final approval or required yet. It will not apply for you since you are on extensions of stay.

There have been many topics about it.

18 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Ah, I guess I can see maybe he makes an "E" as a half circle plus a line.

Yup, my visa expires on Oct. 25 every year. Great anticipation for my annual excursion to CW. (Not.)

(Without googling it, sorry...) What's the difference between my visa ("Retirement," I guess), and an O-A visa ("LONG STAY/retirement")?

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa-o-a-long-stay

And an unrelated question: 

Your original O-A visa you purchased from a Consulate outside Thailand. Once that visa expired you no longer have a visa. You have yearly extensions of stay based on retirement. You get extensions of stay inside Thailand from the Immigration Department. You could, if you wanted to, leave Thailand and purchase another O-A visa from the Consulate in your home country. 

27 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

FYI...I never bought an O-A visa. I had a working visa in Bangkok (English teacher) in '97-'98, then converted to retirement visa without leaving the country.

Just to reinforce what @ubonjoe has been trying to teach you: you have not had a visa from an embassy/consulate for many years. What you have been using is an extension of stay based on retirement (which on each application gives you an additional year on your permission to stay) combined with reentry permits (that prevent your permission to stay from being cancelled when you leave and then reenter Thailand). You are in Thailand on a non immigrant permission to stay but do not have a Non O-A, Non O or any other kind of valid visa.

Edited by BritTim

20 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

So, if someone asks me if I have a visa, I should say, "No, I have an extension of stay?"

Yes. Why not? Nothing to be embarrassed about. I think linguistically a "visa" is just permission to enter the country by having met some requirements and given them a bunch of information ahead of time. Even with a visa you can be denied entry at the border. It seems better to me to be able to say you have 1 year permission to stay in the country.

About not ever having an O-A visa - you are correct. It is possible to get a 1 year extension of stay without coming first on an O-A visa. I had a friend come here to retire. He arrived on a what I think was a 60 day tourist visa. Then he need to deposit money in a Thai bank account for 2 months. An agent helped him through the process. Since you were saying you were on a visa I just assumed you started with an O-A but I could see from the photos you posted that you are on an extension. I am on my first 1 year extension now.

Edited by Martyp

32 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Might another way to put it be that, according to the common definition, I have a 'retirement visa,' but that no, I don't technically have a Thai visa, just an extension of stay?

16981161_ScreenShot2019-07-11at4_39_35PM.png.a0c3af298cb1bbdd8d0c2ebd9cee5318.png

OK. Forget my lousy linguistics. Right now you (and I) are on an extension of stay. Not a visa.

Actually an O-A visa is a multiple entry visa. For the first year you can leave and enter any number of times. The nice feature is that each time you enter they stamp you in for another year. You can get almost 2 years of stay on this visa if you leave and enter just before the visa expires. I think I got about 21 months total. I think that meets your posted visa definition.

Edited by Martyp