Expensive Thailand

Thailand is becoming ever more expensive with the Thai Baht now at only 37 for £1. I did a bit of research and many things are now cheaper in the UK. Now with my property sold in Thailand and a tidy profit made  now find that the Philippines is the new Thailand. For a start everything is half or even less than Thai prices. No dual pricing like the Thais like to rip off the foreigners. For me Thailand is no longer the land of smiles. ????

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But not your house and the taxes on it ......... which is the only thing that really counts.

Your right.. for someone making an investment, wouldnt you rather one that solidly appreciates, rather than one that depreciates due to shoddy build !! 

• Like 1

The owner of my house was in shock when I said I cant pay a year in advance anymore asked why you not do this year same and explaining the 33% rent rise she said very puzzled I not put any rent up you pay the same as last 3 years I further explained the 30,000bt £550 deposit she was holding is now worth £800 now she is happier I think ????      

33 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Your right.. for someone making an investment, wouldnt you rather one that solidly appreciates, rather than one that depreciates due to shoddy build !! 

I'd rather have a property the woman I live with can't take off me with one phone call to the police, "he hit me"

That was the last I saw of my 600,000 pound riverside home in the UK (fully paid for by me alone).

Property is only an investment for single men in the west.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 2:49 AM, ezzra said:

Cost of living aside, yes PH is cheaper than TH but have been visiting the PH for 40 years now and never felt safe there as far as mugging, which i have experienced in Angeles city walking back to my hotel had a very expensive gold necklace ripped of my neck, you feel the locals eyeing you and what you got worth nicking off you while the police there is by far worse and more corrupt than in TH, and just for that the PH in not a viable option...

I must admit that I did have one bad experience in the PH where I had my phone stolen in a market but other than that no problems at all. Sometimes it's just a matter of not wearing or having expensive jewellery on show. I did have a Thai friend on her way home from work on her bike that had her necklace stolen from a bike gang so I guess it can happen anywhere.

Philippines:

Bottle of wine £5-10

Bottle of beer 330ml 60-80p

Bottle of Rum, Vodka, Gin 70cl £1.50-4

Just a couple of examples that I found.

There are still a few things that I like to buy in Thailand but at the moment I want more Baht's for my £ to justify a journey.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thaiThai1970 said:

Philippines:

Bottle of wine £5-10

Bottle of beer 330ml 60-80p

Bottle of Rum, Vodka, Gin 70cl £1.50-4

Just a couple of examples that I found.

There are still a few things that I like to buy in Thailand but at the moment I want more Baht's for my £ to justify a journey.

Cheaper to live in Indonesia. 

Try finding a shop to sell you the above.:tongue: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Well, why don't us less than rich expats start car jacking all the Thai driving Mercedes Benz's?  It cuts both ways.  My point is I see plenty of wealth around me that makes me look like a beggar in any country but I don't go around jacking people of there wealth.  However, I understand your point.

I agree with both of you

• Like 1

I agree with many posts.  Thailand has become an "expensive crapper", the costs DO NOT justify the means any longer.  Plus, so many other better options on this planet to choose from.  Not every place will meet everyones objectives, but better odds of achieving balance and happiness else where worth trying. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mike787 said:

I agree with many posts.  Thailand has become an "expensive crapper", the costs DO NOT justify the means any longer.  Plus, so many other better options on this planet to choose from.  Not every place will meet everyones objectives, but better odds of achieving balance and happiness else where worth trying. 

When I got to Thailand 20 years ago a bottle of Chateau Lafite was more expensive than in France. 

Good Brie cheese was more expensive than in France.

Cars were more expensive than in Detroit.  

Strippers in NYC were 1000% more expensive than in Pattaya.

The only difference in 20 years is the pound and Aussie dollar have tanked.  

• Like 1

It baffles me why people start these posts. If you are not happy with Thailand, and are moving to a new destination, why not just go ? Why make a song and dance about it on Thaivisa ?

You are probably trying to convince yourself that you are doing the right thing by posting about it, and like many who have left before you, you will still be on TV for years to come.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:49 AM, ezzra said:

Cost of living aside, yes PH is cheaper than TH but have been visiting the PH for 40 years now and never felt safe there as far as mugging, which i have experienced in Angeles city walking back to my hotel had a very expensive gold necklace ripped of my neck, you feel the locals eyeing you and what you got worth nicking off you while the police there is by far worse and more corrupt than in TH, and just for that the PH in not a viable option...

Yet he has been visiting 40 years

On 7/18/2019 at 8:49 AM, ezzra said:

Cost of living aside, yes PH is cheaper than TH but have been visiting the PH for 40 years now and never felt safe there as far as mugging, which i have experienced in Angeles city walking back to my hotel had a very expensive gold necklace ripped of my neck,

There are hundreds of reports of exactly the same thing happening in Pattaya, and in many US and European cities for that matter.

If you insist in live in tourist towns...yes! Thailand is expensive and dangerous... very dangerous...like most tourist cities in the world, if you take the risks. 

Try to walk Harlem or any USA´s parks at night.... Just an example.

13 minutes ago, Muzarella said:

If you insist in live in tourist towns...yes! Thailand is expensive and dangerous... very dangerous...like most tourist cities in the world, if you take the risks. 

Try to walk Harlem or any USA´s parks at night.... Just an example.

Bangkok - ha ha ha.  Pattaya ha ha ha.  2019 Central Park NYC 369 COUNTS OF THEFT

100 COUNTS OF ASSAULT 34 COUNTS OF ROBBERY

Edited by marcusarelus