Soya yogurt and yogurt maker

On 7/22/2019 at 4:26 PM, KittenKong said:

What starter are you using?

One problem may be that your soy milk contains preservatives or other chemicals, or added sugar or flavours.

https://www.fermentationrecipes.com/making-your-own-soy-yogurt/1409

https://thehiddenveggies.com/best-homemade-vegan-soy-yogurt/

Thanks for the links KittenKong, will check out today.

"Added things" to the soy milk is possible but I am using the same brand as before.    I use no added sugar or flavours soy.

Previously I made cows milk yogurt as a test just leaving outside in cleaned jars during the day when temps were high but not in direct sun.    Brought inside from late afternoon and in morning yogurt was fine.    Drew off the separated liquid with a plastic tube.    Settled yogurt was fine.   The last batch I made was still good more than 6 months later.    A friend who practices alternative medicine used the yogurt for treatment.

As a vegan I do not use cows milk although I have to accept that the first 'starter' came from cows milk yogurt; further production used the starter from my own yogurt.

I like to use yogurt as a salad dressing, making lassi etc.

I used freeze-dried starter for my first batch and ever since then I have just been using the last yoghurt of the old batch to start the new batch.

I think for your soy yoghurt I would definitely try using a tub of live supermarket yoghurt to get it going, if you cant get the freeze-dried starter.

16 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I used freeze-dried starter for my first batch and ever since then I have just been using the last yoghurt of the old batch to start the new batch.

I think for your soy yoghurt I would definitely try using a tub of live supermarket yoghurt to get it going, if you cant get the freeze-dried starter.

Are you using natural fermenting - meaning open air - or do you use a yogurt maker ?

On 7/24/2019 at 2:29 PM, KittenKong said:

I use this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L28AZV2/

Basically a heater with a timer and a beeper.

Thanks KittenKong, I used something like this when I was working in Holland back in the early 80's,think it only had 4 jars.    I was a vegetarian back then so the yogurt was for my family.    Can't remember ever seeing soy milk back then although it was available as a powder for feeding babies.   Think I tried baby formula soy milk and it curdelled.

Will try to find the starter and give soy milk a go again.

I love Greek yogurt for breakfast with some honey and crushed walnuts .

I never thought to make my own, After reading this thread (thank you Speedo1968) I went on Youtube and watched some videos . It seems to be relatively easy. Will first try it with milk, and after mastering the technique will also try soy.

Glad I read this thread !! ????

Archived