Sterling on back foot due to growing concern about no-deal Brexit

webfact

Its Project Shambles on the no-Deal front. There will be quite a few expats adversely affected by the current Sterling demise. Seriously affected are those applying for visa permissions to stay based on monthly income transfers and having to currency convert.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No Deal is coming along nicely in Project Sit It Out.
Whatever Sterling problems expats have is not going to change Brexit, nor should they. We’re talking 66 million people here, not a few thousands
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whatever Sterling problems expats have is not going to change Brexit, nor should they. We’re talking 66 million people here, not a few thousands
This is an expat forum and discussing issues as they affect them, notwithstanding self appointed tribunes of the people who think trashing Sterling is some type of patriotic endeavour. As for the personal stuff if Hard Brexiteers are going to poke around in others' situations they should at least try to be accurate.

• Like 2

This is an expat forum and discussing issues as they affect them, notwithstanding self appointed tribunes of the people who think trashing Sterling is some type of patriotic endeavour. As for the personal stuff if Hard Brexiteers are going to poke around in others' situations they should at least try to be accurate.

Proper expats have always experienced currency fluctuations, subject to individual terms and conditions. Sometimes it was all good. If remittances became too low, it was time to move on at the next contract renewal.

That a bunch of Remoaners in Thailand argue Brexit should be reversed because their sterling pensions don’t cover their expenses, is what millions of others don’t care about. Time for them to move on.
  • Like 1

No, we are also talking about some significant fluctuations over a couple of years.
The reality is that in terms of Brexit and sterling fluctuations, it’s not having much effect in UK. It’s also a reality that holiday makers are still holidaying and paying a bit more, but they are still going. Remoaner pensioners and exchange rate hysterics in Thailand just don’t even come into the issue.
None of it is a problem for Brexit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Just seen that the exchange rate for Bangkok Bank telegraphic transfers is 36.99 for Sterling.

seems theres a bad recession in the post for uk,we,ve had a boom based on rising property prices,buy to let has become a big industry due to the housing shortage caused in no small part by the economic migration,and property prices are going  down as the 1st time buyer can,t get on the property ladder,and every other advert on tv seems to be release your equity or for pay day loans, deja vu? no just cast your mind back to the late 80s and to all you builders out there who won,t get out of bed for less than £200 a day,hope you,ve all been saving for a rainy day.

21 hours ago, SheungWan said:

aren,t the remainers "poking around"in the brexiters situation to the point of trying to sabotage a democratic vote? 37 to the £?,things are going to get a lot worse before they get any better,and that,ll only happen after we get out.

• Like 2

Everyone knows that a devalued currency is a disaster, those Chinese dont know what they're doing deliberately devaluing theirs the last couple of days.

On the flip side a strong currency is awesome, as the Thai tourism and export market is currently highlighting.

A few Brits paying more for a Paella in Tenerife or a few expats in Thailand paying more for a "Tiga Pine" is not high on the agenda right now and rightly so.

Edited by JonnyF
  • Like 1

aren,t the remainers "poking around"in the brexiters situation to the point of trying to sabotage a democratic vote? 37 to the £?,things are going to get a lot worse before they get any better,and that,ll only happen after we get out.
There was no democratic vote for what type of deal. No-deal is just one pathway and not the only one whatever spin Hard Brexiteers want to put on it.

• Like 2

seems theres a bad recession in the post for uk,we,ve had a boom based on rising property prices,buy to let has become a big industry due to the housing shortage caused in no small part by the economic migration,and property prices are going  down as the 1st time buyer can,t get on the property ladder,and every other advert on tv seems to be release your equity or for pay day loans, deja vu? no just cast your mind back to the late 80s and to all you builders out there who won,t get out of bed for less than £200 a day,hope you,ve all been saving for a rainy day.
The super-patriotic nutters think they are on roll and its all Last Night At The Proms with that crowd. Knocking themselves out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Not long to go now and then they will be FREE for they have been slaves nearly all their lives to an unelected anti-democratic EU-SSR which has imprisoned and impoverished them and denied them their birthright happiness. Boris and Nigel shall throw open the door to their prison and they shall smell the fresh air of FREEDOM. Even if they have to eat dirt and be broke nothing can compare with that delicious feeling on THAT DAY that is coming soon.

“Free at last, Free at last, Thank God almighty we are free at last.”

Britons , or should I say Little Englanders the hour draweth near and nothing shall betray your final ascent to the perfect life you have already dreamed of many times before. Prepare yourselves for the gates of heaven are indeed opening....

EU-Begone for we are Brexit Britons - noble , honourable and stand alone unfettered by bureaucrats and traitors who would thwart our birthright and uncaring in our disdain for mere money and it's corrupt value. The bells shall ring out throughout the land , the people will cheer and you my son .........shall finally be a MAN

Sorry to see the Sterling-Dip budget turps has such a profound effect. ????

Not long to go now and then they will be FREE for they have been slaves nearly all their lives to an unelected anti-democratic EU-SSR which has imprisoned and impoverished them and denied them their birthright happiness. Boris and Nigel shall throw open the door to their prison and they shall smell the fresh air of FREEDOM. Even if they have to eat dirt and be broke nothing can compare with that delicious feeling on THAT DAY that is coming soon.

“Free at last, Free at last, Thank God almighty we are free at last.”

Britons , or should I say Little Englanders the hour draweth near and nothing shall betray your final ascent to the perfect life you have already dreamed of many times before. Prepare yourselves for the gates of heaven are indeed opening....

EU-Begone for we are Brexit Britons - noble , honourable and stand alone unfettered by bureaucrats and traitors who would thwart our birthright and uncaring in our disdain for mere money and it's corrupt value. The bells shall ring out throughout the land , the people will cheer and you my son .........shall finally be a MAN

>

Now I understand. They are doomsday Prepper Remainers, to save us all from a Russian invasion.

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Sorry to see the Sterling-Dip budget turps has such a profound effect. ????

We must fight them on the Bulletin Boards , in the pubs and coffee houses , over garden fences and supermarket queues in the non-Eu queues at the airports but most of all we must look to the young with their youth , passion for life  and fire in their bellies...

La Luta Continua ....

turps is banned by the filthy EU - I shall have to choose impecunious sobriety as I stagger in 2021 around the coming dystopian wasteland renamed Greater England by PM JRM BoJo having been ousted shortly after delivering Brexit as his ex spurned girlfriend goes nuclear releases an avalanche of tapes revealing the real monster behind the smile and what he really thinks about the working class. The Union having all gone their own ways - Ingerland stands alone - but it's football team still cannot win any international championships and most fans are too poor or banned by international authorities from going abroad to watch their games.

You don't go out at night as various gangs roam the street - the most vicious are Albanians who came in on Romanian black markets passports just before the axe fell. Police now are a private defence force protecting the enclaves of the rich and wealthy - the poor have to look after themselves. The strong survive. EU youths having had sustained hate and attacks are well organised and disciplined unlike many of their English counterparts.  Muslim enclaves are robustly defended and road blocked in many cities by armed youth who keep the gangs in bay through their sober discipline and beliefs.The old having pensions slashed are scared to go out after dark and some vets have formed paramilitary working class defence units and ride shotgun on public transport and the streets. 

Britain was always the drugs capital of Europe now it is the major underground economy and the government reduced tax on booze soon after Brexit in  2019 so most people are pUssed or stoned every day watching government broadcasts on TV oh how well it is all going and daily bulletins on new Trade deals and record deals being brokered. JRM's soothing words say well I did say 50 years - sacrifices must be made. His smiling spectacled face is seen everywhere with the latest feel good slogans. 

Millions of expats in the EU and beyond impoverished by the fallen pound returned home and have formed shanty towns in many cities unable to afford any type of housing or be entitled to any benefits. This is semi tolerated by the authorities as they councils and government have no money to sort out the problem and the prisons are full - but are more like the Thai system containment and brutal unless you have money coming in from outside. Priti Patel is praised for her third world approach to prison reform .  No one talks about Brexit anymore as survival is the key and finding food and avoiding being preyed on by the younger better equipped gangs.

And the summers just keep getting hotter and hotter and the winters are hardly winter at all....in the countryside farmers have established armed and defended collectives aided by EU workers who stayed behind - they eat well and brew their own drink and party regularly on their caravan enclaves , cannabis is a major cash crop and export. Vets are welcome if they bring their army skills to the farm camps to help stave off marauding starving gangs from the cities seeking a sustenance away from the crumbling cities and form lasting bonds with the new communities. 

I saw all this and much more in my crystal ball . Long Live Ingerland . God save King Charles 3rd !

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

We must fight them on the Bulletin Boards , in the pubs and coffee houses , over garden fences and supermarket queues in the non-Eu queues at the airports but most of all we must look to the young with their youth , passion for life  and fire in their bellies...

La Luta Continua ....

turps is banned by the filthy EU - I shall have to choose impecunious sobriety as I stagger in 2021 around the coming dystopian wasteland renamed Greater England by PM JRM BoJo having been ousted shortly after delivering Brexit as his ex spurned girlfriend goes nuclear releases an avalanche of tapes revealing the real monster behind the smile and what he really thinks about the working class. The Union having all gone their own ways - Ingerland stands alone - but it's football team still cannot win any international championships and most fans are too poor or banned by international authorities from going abroad to watch their games.

You don't go out at night as various gangs roam the street - the most vicious are Albanians who came in on Romanian black markets passports just before the axe fell. Police now are a private defence force protecting the enclaves of the rich and wealthy - the poor have to look after themselves. The strong survive. EU youths having had sustained hate and attacks are well organised and disciplined unlike many of their English counterparts.  Muslim enclaves are robustly defended and road blocked in many cities by armed youth who keep the gangs in bay through their sober discipline and beliefs.The old having pensions slashed are scared to go out after dark and some vets have formed paramilitary working class defence units and ride shotgun on public transport and the streets. 

Britain was always the drugs capital of Europe now it is the major underground economy and the government reduced tax on booze soon after Brexit in  2019 so most people are pUssed or stoned every day watching government broadcasts on TV oh how well it is all going and daily bulletins on new Trade deals and record deals being brokered. JRM's soothing words say well I did say 50 years - sacrifices must be made. His smiling spectacled face is seen everywhere with the latest feel good slogans. 

Millions of expats in the EU and beyond impoverished by the fallen pound returned home and have formed shanty towns in many cities unable to afford any type of housing or be entitled to any benefits. This is semi tolerated by the authorities as they councils and government have no money to sort out the problem and the prisons are full - but are more like the Thai system containment and brutal unless you have money coming in from outside. Priti Patel is praised for her third world approach to prison reform .  No one talks about Brexit anymore as survival is the key and finding food and avoiding being preyed on by the younger better equipped gangs.

And the summers just keep getting hotter and hotter and the winters are hardly winter at all....in the countryside farmers have established armed and defended collectives aided by EU workers who stayed behind - they eat well and brew their own drink and party regularly on their caravan enclaves , cannabis is a major cash crop and export. Vets are welcome if they bring their army skills to the farm camps to help stave off marauding starving gangs from the cities seeking a sustenance away from the crumbling cities and form lasting bonds with the new communities. 

I saw all this and much more in my crystal ball . Long Live Ingerland . God save King Charles 3rd !

Finished the bottle, then?

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:18 PM, Loiner said:

Kind of you to think of 66 million people - especially as a fraction under 50 million of them didn't vote for Brexit !

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Don't forget Sterling will be back above 50 after the Brexiteers have led us to the promised land.

We must hold our nerve...... the markets are confused given BoJo's mendacity that a deal may well be done. Wife holding off sending cash at the moment. Good job I bought 4 mill baht at 42 last October partly for a condo purchase. Just hit the 42 as well it went to 40 very soon after.  A distressed Brit seller desperate for his 800k cut his studio down from 1.9 over a year to 1.3 in the end and paid half our fees from company owned to Thai chanote in a well maintained but old block in Jomtien. I'd call that a Brexit bonus. We're looking to upgrade the studio to a one bed and my missus has several friends up to buy our studio. So more pain on the pound front could be good when we return in December. Keep up the good work Brexiteers more pain means more buying opportunities when we go back. Help my wife get the one bedroom , 15th floor , sea view condo she deserves.