Sterling on back foot due to growing concern about no-deal Brexit

webfact

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The devalued pound is not a particularly big issue in the UK. People might feel the pinch when holidaying overseas and more so when going to Thailand.
If a low pound affects imports from the EU, and tariffs further increase the price of that new Porsche, well that’s ok.
Reduced prices for all UK worldwide export goods, even with some new tariffs into EU, is also ok by me. As most of UK exports are not cheap products, but value added good stuff, it will still increase exports. Let’s just make a major adjustment to the UK/EU trade imbalance.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
It is a highly significant issue as oil is priced in dollars.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

We can see that you are not enjoying your kicking. Maybe it’s time for you to scurry off back to UK or HKG too.
It’s all about what is best for the UK, not baht strapped pensioners in TH. If I were a comedian I’d be telling the jokes at your expense, but I’m not as vindictive as you Remainers.
Net appreciation, so not quite a kicking. Hard Brexiteers please do continue entertaining us with the Sterling Down + Patriotic Spin trope.

Again, you've got it backwards... 

If you owe $100 and the GBP-USD is 1:1 then it costs you 100 GBP to repay it, if the GBP-USD rate is 0.9:1 then it costs you 111.11 GBP 

Its incredible, though maybe not so incredible, that not only are you are arguing with a Hard Brexiteer who not only cannot add up, but manages to get his calculations 180° wrong! And in addition persists even after his figures have been pointed out are A over T.

Today you will find the Hard Brexiteers have absolutely nothing to say about the trashing of Sterling. Why? Because no-Deal is their baby.

That was yesterday. Now we have today's carnage. Roll on the Patriotic Twaddle from the Hard Brexiteers.

I think it is worth noting given that this is an expat forum, that the Hard Brexiteers are happy to write off the financial impact of Sterling's demise on expat cost of living as acceptable collateral damage in the interests of their objectives. Next time the Brexiteer wise guy kicks off in a bar near you..... no, don't bother, its not worth it.

10 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

That was yesterday. Now we have today's carnage. Roll on the Patriotic Twaddle from the Hard Brexiteers.

Nothing will stop the gloat-dance up and down the country on 01 November.

I'm already practicing...

Image result for english morris bells

And the increase in auto prices? That won't be a big issue either?

On the EU produced ones not an issue at all. In fact an opportunity for UK manufacturing. It’s all good.
You were not thinking of buying a German car next year were you?

Rubbish.
Your country imports more than it exports.
If the pound is weak, importers have to pay more pounds. Leading then to raise prices in the domestic market.

Still no serious price increases over three years.

I think it is worth noting given that this is an expat forum, that the Hard Brexiteers are happy to write off the financial impact of Sterling's demise on expat cost of living as acceptable collateral damage in the interests of their objectives. Next time the Brexiteer wise guy kicks off in a bar near you..... no, don't bother, its not worth it.

An expat forum with topics about a UK major issue.
What a few Remainer expats continuously moan about is not important to the UK or its citizens there. Your Remoans from afar about exchange rates just don’t matter. You can all be happily written off as collateral damage somewhere thousands of miles away.

57 minutes ago, Loiner said:

You’re welcome. Our exporters and tourist industry are lovin’ it too.

Based on what ? One Brexit gain is we will be poor so folk will come here to holiday and shop like a third world country. Don't remember that being in the Leave campaign. If you voted Brexit you own the whole damn thing now - don't blame me I voted Remain. And where was thick as mince Davies when the talks started  - winging it with a biro. Oh we didn't have a plan but we voted for it anyway to stick it to the man - when in fact all you have a achieved is a 'dirty protest' in your own cell  - a national humiliation which I hope never to see again in my lifetime. 

An expat forum with topics about a UK major issue.
What a few Remainer expats continuously moan about is not important to the UK or its citizens there. Your Remoans from afar about exchange rates just don’t matter. You can all be happily written off as collateral damage somewhere thousands of miles away.
"You can all be written off" ??? "Collateral damage" ??? Why on earth would a Brexiteer be even posting such a message on an expat forum? It sounds like a posting from someone holed up in a UK bunker railing against the outside world. Insularity gone nuts.

7 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:
Based on what ? One Brexit gain is we will be poor so folk will come here to holiday and shop like a third world country. Don't remember that being in the Leave campaign. If you voted Brexit you own the whole damn thing now - don't blame me I voted Remain. And where was thick as mince Davies when the talks started  - winging it with a biro. Oh we didn't have a plan but we voted for it anyway to stick it to the man - when in fact all you have a achieved is a 'dirty protest' in your own cell  - a national humiliation which I hope never to see again in my lifetime. 
[/url]  

Hard Brexit no-Deal brilliantly summed up: The threat of..... "a 'dirty protest' in your own cell."

9 hours ago, Loiner said:

You’re welcome. Our exporters and tourist industry are lovin’ it too.

Wait a little bit. Tourists of the EU will not need  visas - after Brexit on 31/10.2019 ?  Not yet clear!!!

If you voted Brexit you own the whole damn thing now - don't blame me I voted Remain.

- when in fact all you have a achieved is a 'dirty protest' in your own cell  - a national humiliation which I hope never to see again in my lifetime. 

I blame all you Remainers for the delay. You can blame yourselves for the continued drop in GBP, if it is problematic for you.

The humiliation stems from being a country unable to enact the majority result of a referendum, due to actions of rabid Remainers. And now you’re all moaning about exchange rates. Who are the ones in a dirty cell? After 31st Oct you’ll never see it again because you won’t be allowed to do it again.

"You can all be written off" ??? "Collateral damage" ??? Why on earth would a Brexiteer be even posting such a message on an expat forum? It sounds like a posting from someone holed up in a UK bunker railing against the outside world. Insularity gone nuts.

Because expat forums are for all. That includes ‘proper’ expats, the ones who travel the world working and making money, not retirees and pensioners.
Sounds like you should go back to work if you can’t afford It here.

Wait a little bit. Tourists of the EU will not need  visas - after Brexit on 31/10.2019 ?  Not yet clear!!!

Even before the EU, few tourists from Europe needed a visa. It’s very clear that won’t change after Brexit. You will be free to visit UK for our wonderful county’s tourist attractions.
It’s not clear what anti-UK restrictions the EU are plotting, but Spain might make its own rules on that. Portugal is already gearing up for it.

Because expat forums are for all. That includes ‘proper’ expats, the ones who travel the world working and making money, not retirees and pensioners.
Sounds like you should go back to work if you can’t afford It here.
Seems like some Brexiteers have decided to remove retirees and pensioners from a definition of 'proper' expats. Scrabbling around for criteria to exclude those seriously affected by the Brexiteer Sterling fallout.

I blame all you Remainers for the delay. You can blame yourselves for the continued drop in GBP, if it is problematic for you.

The humiliation stems from being a country unable to enact the majority result of a referendum, due to actions of rabid Remainers. And now you’re all moaning about exchange rates. Who are the ones in a dirty cell? After 31st Oct you’ll never see it again because you won’t be allowed to do it again.
Ah! The delay! The latest excuse from the Hard Brexiteers who invent the idea that there was a straightforward no-Deal definition of Brexit from the day after the referendum. If there is going to be a lie make it a big one. You know, like the Battle Bus 350 million lie. Pure invention.

Archived