Sterling on back foot due to growing concern about no-deal Brexit

webfact

Even before the EU, few tourists from Europe needed a visa. It’s very clear that won’t change after Brexit. You will be free to visit UK for our wonderful county’s tourist attractions.
It’s not clear what anti-UK restrictions the EU are plotting, but Spain might make its own rules on that. Portugal is already gearing up for it.
Cheap holidays in the UK. Expensive overseas holidays for UK citizens. Why? Thank you Boris for trashing Sterling.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Cheap holidays in the UK. Expensive overseas holidays for UK citizens. Why? Thank you Boris for trashing Sterling.

Sterling was trashed long before Boris turned up but if he gets on with it we'll see an improvement by valentines day. Between now & then you lot can knock yourselves out.

23 minutes ago, evadgib said:
Sterling was trashed long before Boris turned up but if he gets on with it we'll see an improvement by valentines day. Between now & then you lot can knock yourselves out.

Boris the Brexiteer icing on the cake for what's gone on before. Sterling looks like a Valentine's Day Massacre right now. Hail Mary! for an improvement is about the limit of their imagination.

14 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Boris the Brexiteer icing on the cake for what's gone on before. Sterling looks like a Valentine's Day Massacre right now. Hail Mary! for an improvement is about the limit of their imagination.

How is your guesswork any better, other than the misguided belief that anything spouted by your lot rolls downhill?

Seems like some Brexiteers have decided to remove retirees and pensioners from a definition of 'proper' expats. Scrabbling around for criteria to exclude those seriously affected by the Brexiteer Sterling fallout.

Even prior to Brexit, I’ve never included retirees and pensioners as proper expats. When they arrived here, they sort of assumed that title. How many pensioners arrived in HKG and were accepted by the cliquey gangs there as bonafide expats?
As far as Brexit goes, the fortunes of neither expats or retirees matter. It’s all about what is best for UK.

Ah! The delay! The latest excuse from the Hard Brexiteers who invent the idea that there was a straightforward no-Deal definition of Brexit from the day after the referendum. If there is going to be a lie make it a big one. You know, like the Battle Bus 350 million lie. Pure invention.

The delay is all the result of the failing Remainer plot. A Leaver PM would have had us all out by now and getting back to normality. You’d probably still be Remoaning though.

The delay is all the result of the failing Remainer plot. A Leaver PM would have had us all out by now and getting back to normality. You’d probably still be Remoaning though.
The Hard Brexit myth that no-Deal was the only option and that was frustrated by the usual Conspiracy Theory plot or plots. Nobody else convinced other than themselves.

Even prior to Brexit, I’ve never included retirees and pensioners as proper expats. When they arrived here, they sort of assumed that title. How many pensioners arrived in HKG and were accepted by the cliquey gangs there as bonafide expats?
As far as Brexit goes, the fortunes of neither expats or retirees matter. It’s all about what is best for UK.
What some people include/exclude neither here nor there. New pensioners rarely arrive in HK to settle due to the high rents, easy 4-5 times what they can expect in LOS. And purchase prices way off plus stamp duty of 30%, so that's a no-no for most. Guys retiring to LOS on the other hand a core staple of the foreigner community to date.

What some people include/exclude neither here nor there. New pensioners rarely arrive in HK to settle due to the high rents, easy 4-5 times what they can expect in LOS. And purchase prices way off plus stamp duty of 30%, so that's a no-no for most. Guys retiring to LOS on the other hand a core staple of the foreigner community to date.

I’ll take that as a no then. Those bunch of Barclays Bankers in HKG wouldn’t welcome even cashed up pensioners. That’s why they all left to Phuket.
Retirees may be the core of the community where you went, the rest of Thailand is not like your Pattayas and HuaHins.

On 7/31/2019 at 12:03 AM, Loiner said:

Still no serious price increases over three years.

UK holiday-makers feel early hit from pound's new Brexit fall

In July, supermarket chain Tesco increased prices on around 1,000 products, citing cost pressures which included the fall in the value of the pound.

17 hours ago, Loiner said:

I’ll take that as a no then. Those bunch of Barclays Bankers in HKG wouldn’t welcome even cashed up pensioners. That’s why they all left to Phuket.
Retirees may be the core of the community where you went, the rest of Thailand is not like your Pattayas and HuaHins.

Always missing the point. I am in more than one place. Some of us can afford to do so. Sometimes I wonder about a few of the Brexiteers on this forum. It occasionally seems from their misplaced comments that it has been a long time since they spent any serious time in Thailand. Sort of shooting in the dark.

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

In July, supermarket chain Tesco increased prices on around 1,000 products, citing cost pressures which included the fall in the value of the pound.

Imported products may cost more in the UK, but I am not holding out much hope on the other side for prices of British products in Thai supermarkets to drop any time soon!

They’ll cite any old thing if it gives them an excuse and Brexit fall in nicely with big business Project Fear.

5 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

One week ago GBPTHB was above 38. What a shambles is the no-Deal project.

And 6 days ago it dropped to 37, so why post 'it's taking another hammering 30 minutes ago?

I'll just put you on ignore, no point in reading your rubbish as it's a week out of date.

And 6 days ago it dropped to 37, so why post 'it's taking another hammering 30 minutes ago?
I'll just put you on ignore, no point in reading your rubbish as it's a week out of date.

Hard Brexiteers appear to have everything connected to Sterling on ignore. Its all La-la-la now as Boris heads for crash and burn..

Indecision in the face of shambles is reasonable. Decisiveness in favour of that shambles is plain stupidity.

The shambles is the failed Remainer plot to not Leave. You all managed to keep us on the hook for three years but now we are Leaving, without your trick deal BRINO.
Your own personal shambles appears to be in not planning your finances to allow for exchange rate fluctuations.

The shambles is the failed Remainer plot to not Leave. You all managed to keep us on the hook for three years but now we are Leaving, without your trick deal BRINO.
Your own personal shambles appears to be in not planning your finances to allow for exchange rate fluctuations.
Wrong on the personal front and wrong the Conspiracy nonsense.

They’ll cite any old thing if it gives them an excuse and Brexit fall in nicely with big business Project Fear.
Its Project Shambles on the no-Deal front. There will be quite a few expats adversely affected by the current Sterling demise. Seriously affected are those applying for visa permissions to stay based on monthly income transfers and having to currency convert.

Archived