A proposal for Greater Bangkok’s fourth airport

webfact

By The Thaiger

Airports-of-Thailand%E2%80%99s-second-te

PHOTO: Thailand Construction

A new airport in Bangkok’s Nakhon Pathom province, just to the west of the capital, will be greater-Bangkok’s fourth air travel hub. The announcement was made on Saturday.

Jarun Meesomboon, deputy director-general of the Airport Department, says the new 3,500 rai airport was a priority for the new Transport Ministry. He optimistically claimed it would cost only 20 billion baht and take four years until it was ready to accept passenger planes. Suvarnabhumi International Airport ended up costing 155 billion baht over a decade ago.

The department says they will hold public hearings on the proposal during August to draft terms of reference before submitting to the Cabinet.

Jarun predicts that more than 1 million passengers would use the new airport in its first year and that it could become a new regional gateway for the west side of Bangkok and popular tourist provinces like Kanchanaburi.

A high speed rail link between all the three existing Bangkok region airports is now under construction, linking Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang and U-Tapao (near Pattaya).

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/transport/a-proposal-for-greater-bangkoks-fourth-airport

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-07-23

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

I still don't think this will be enough to cope with 35 squillion tourists that TAT expect in the near future!

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

A high speed rail link between all the three existing Bangkok region airports is now under construction, linking Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang and U-Tapao (near Pattaya).

What's the point of linking three airports to each other? Wouldn't it make more sense to connect to hubs like Bang Sue?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

U-Tapao now "Bangkok region" (130 km linear distance, 80 miles).

Wow, the Chinese will be envy.

4 hours ago, Dnyy said:

What's the point of linking three airports to each other? Wouldn't it make more sense to connect to hubs like Bang Sue?

I often land in Suvarnabhumi e take off at Don Muang or viceversa.

With a taxi sometimes it get late (traffic jam) if there were a fast railway link I think I will use it

I was wondering what the 3rd Bangkok airport was--could only think of 2.   U-Tapao.  Okaaay.  Guess we are all Bangkokians and we didn't know it!  That poster the other day who was wondering if he would have an embarrassing Pattaya mailing address if he moved here can relax.  You're a Bangkokian, guy!

7 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

good gateway to the south

Phuket, Krabi, Hua Hin already have regional airports... I don't think Nakhon Pathom would be a gateway south for many, a long trip in a train or bus,

Bangkokians would still use Bangkok airports for domestic travel !

7 hours ago, Dnyy said:

Nobody wants to haul heavy luggage through a normal station. Airport links are for .. linking airports. 

10 hours ago, Dnyy said:

I think the point is to allow interconnecting flights to various destinations with ease.

15 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Nobody wants to haul heavy luggage through a normal station. Airport links are for .. linking airports. 

No one has to haul any heavy luggage anywhere.  Anyone with just a moment of thought will travel light--carry only what you need--like pilots and attendants.  Myself, anything above and beyond a carry-on, I put in some sort of delivery service or just purchase as necessary.  And yes I know, everyone might not want to do this.  And by the way, Thailand only has 1/4 of a so-called Airport Link...from Swampy to downtown.

19 hours ago, gnazi71 said:

I often land in Suvarnabhumi e take off at Don Muang or viceversa.

With a taxi sometimes it get late (traffic jam) if there were a fast railway link I think I will use it

While the dark red line might open (Bang Sue-Rangsit anyway) in 1H2021 (October 2020 is still the "plan" but that seems like a stretch), making a SARL-MRT-Dark Red transfer between BKK and DMK possible, that would involve quite a trek, and require what, three separate tickets?

The CP Group HSR special, linking UTP-BKK-DMK, is "planned" to start in 2024, which in Thai years will be 2030. 

Isn't there a free shuttle bus for folks like you?

A "4th" airport might be usable by 2050, assuming they start today. Not sure which airlines would want to service this airport?

Archived