BKK Tuesday 1320 Arrival EVA AIR

Just came through the airport. I never paid much attention to the signage but this trip as I am older I noticed they list the distance on the signs to immigration, 460m, 120 m etc.  Gosh, walked over 1/4 mile from the arrival gate to immigration.   Immigration queue not too bad, maybe 3 loops around 1/2 of the ropes.  In and out in 20 minutes.  Every booth seemed manned.  My line and most lines were taking finger prints, but two lines to the left and right of me were NOT taking prints.  No idea if machine was down, or those particular officials just decided not to do it.  Public bus from BKK to Pattaya was prompt and easy and cheap.  This is trip 14 for me since 2004, but I had a 4 year hiatus.  Reconniasance mission for a few weeks to see how much and how often I really want to come back as I roll into semi-retirement. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just left BKK again on EVA.  Gate E 1.   Airport was annoyingly hot in many areas.  I checked the Air con units as I walked by them and I would say 1/2 only had one side putting out cold (not sure and can't remember if cold was supposed to come out of both sides.  And I would say about 1/5 were not working at all except for the built in speaker.  Some of the hall ways had considerable space between those upright floor cooling units and those areas were warm.  I hate to sweat before I start a 21 hour journey back to the states!  3 hours to Taipei, 12 hours to LAX.  some waits at BKK and a 3 hour layover in Taipei.  I recall some other posters mentioning hot at BKK and yesterday I agree some parts of the airport were way too warm.

Out processing did not take long at all.  No delays.  I only had a carry on and flew Premium Economy so check in with EVA had no line at all.  I can't speak to baggage check in or wait times.  I did convert some Thai baht back to USD because I over converted and spent less than I thought I would (not a bad problem).  Again I went down stairs as I had time to kill and got a better exchange rate than upstairs at departure.  I had time to kill so I didn't mind taking the escalators down and ended up getting a snack at the magic Food court cheaply.  Oh and I was short changed 10 baht on the 100 coupon packet!  I bought 200 baht of coupons, one packet had 100 one had 90.  I had already left the counter when I noticed, so not much to do about it.  Not too worried about 10 baht except for the principal. In the course of a day if, and I say if the lady is skimming off 10 baht, that can add up after a while.

Also the toilet are really poor.  Gosh in Taipei, the toilets are much nicer, the They have a shelf one can put your carry on bag on, maybe change a shirt, etc.  The BKK food restaurants had poor menus in my opinion.  They had some "sets" that had iced tea and won ton soup, and say bbq pork, and rice, but there was no way to just order bbq pork and rice for example and then a separate mango smoothie.  I hate not having choices.  The Thai mentality really does mystify me often.  But the girls are still cute and usually very pleasant.

Archived