Non Immigrant O Multi Entry Visa

I've read a lot in here about visas but not seen anything specifically like the scenario below, hence the post.

I have the above visa and it's due to expire on Jan 1 so I was planning to exit the country in mid December and return at the end of December to get an additional 90 days ????☺️ which will take me ti the end of March when I originally planned to apply for marriage extension based on 400k in my bank.

However, now I think I will need to exit the country again.... Assuming I get my 90 days till the end of March, what would happen if I left the country say mid Jan and returned at the beginning of February.  

1) Would my end of March stamp be honoured still or

2) as I suspect would my multi visa be invalidated by my Jan exit and I would receive a 30day visa exempt on arrival?

3). If 2, what would be the impact on me applying for my marriage extension visa and what would I need to do?

Thanks in advance 

You can protect your 90 day stay with a re-entry permit that you can buy on the way out of the country or at an immigration office (1,000 baht).

If you don’t buy a re-entry permit you’ll only receive 30 days when re-entering.

When you return using a re-entry permit you’ll be given a new entry stamp with the remainder of your protected 90 day stay. E.g. if you leave on day 10/90 and return on day 20/90 you’ll receive a new stay of 60 days on re-entry.

The re-entry permit will enable you to apply for the extension of stay as planned.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great many thanks. Out of interest why would I only get 60 days in your example above and not the remaining 70 days in your example or even 90-10=80 ????☺️

Edited by stament

37 minutes ago, stament said:

Great many thanks. Out of interest why would I only get 60 days in your example above and not the remaining 70 days in your example or even 90-10=80 ????☺️

The re-entry permit only protects the existing admitted until date of your permission to stay. It does not reserve a specific number of days to be used whenever you feel like. Indeed, if you left on day 2 of your extended permission to stay, and returned 87 days later, using the re-entry permit, you would only have one day left on your permission to stay.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, stament said:

Sorry, I missed the typo. It would be 70. 

You lose the days you’re out of the country. You had 10 days in the country, 10 days out, which leaves 70 of the original 90 when you return.

• Thanks 1

Perhaps you could apply earlier for your extension instead of waiting for your visa to expire when fits your travel plans better. You can apply for the the one year extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from your visa if you have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps you could apply earlier for your extension instead of waiting for your visa to expire when fits your travel plans better. You can apply for the the one year extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from your visa if you have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply.

That's an option but I might be out of the country for upto 6 weeks in January (unsure yet as work related) and I won't have time to do it in December as not there long enough plus don't want to risk not being in the country after applying for the extension (home visit) as that won't go down well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 10:11 AM, Tanoshi said:

You also have the option of applying for a 60 day extension to your 90 day entry to visit Thai wife (1,900 baht), which would take your permission of stay up to the end of May.

WOW really I didn't realise that so a 12month multi visa can effectively be extended to 15months?

• Confused 1

On 7/28/2019 at 2:44 AM, elviajero said:

You can protect your 90 day stay with a re-entry permit that you can buy on the way out of the country or at an immigration office (1,000 baht).

Can you buy the re-entry permit at the airport or just you go to an Immigration office?

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:11 AM, Tanoshi said:

You also have the option of applying for a 60 day extension to your 90 day entry to visit Thai wife (1,900 baht), which would take your permission of stay up to the end of May.

Would that apply if you actually lived with her in Thailand - technically if you left and came back in you could say you were visiting her I guess ?

12 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

But you already knew that - your visa expired Jan 1st and your plan was to get it extended to end of March - that's 15 months ?

Sorry I can't add up LOL am I bad. I meant 17months (15+2) which is news to me

11 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Would that apply if you actually lived with her in Thailand - technically if you left and came back in you could say you were visiting her I guess ?

Good question is there a difference I wonder. What proof is required?

17 hours ago, stament said:
17 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Good question is there a difference I wonder. What proof is required?

No proof is required. A 60 day extension is available regardless of the current visa status; however, you can only extend once per entry. After 60 days you must leave or apply for s different extension.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

No proof is required. A 60 day extension is available regardless of the current visa status; however, you can only extend once per entry. After 60 days you must leave or apply for s different extension.

Can you leave the country if you but a re-entry permit to keep within the 60day extension?

18 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Correct, almost 17 months.

Enter just before the Visa expiry date and get 90 days +extend by 60 days.

Nice...

So a 12month visa can be extended by another 5 months if you play it right.... Nice, pretty sure that wasn't the intention of Immigration surely?.....????

7 hours ago, stament said:

Nice...

So a 12month visa can be extended by another 5 months if you play it right.... Nice, pretty sure that wasn't the intention of Immigration surely?.....????

It's perfectly legitimate.

The period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.  Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.

On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa. 

For example a Tourist Visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue.

Let's say it was issued 1st Jan, you could enter on 31st March and still be granted permission of stay for 60 days until the end of May.