Provinces declares dengue fever emergency

snoop1130

Provinces declares dengue fever emergency

By Pongpat Traipipat
The Nation

800_4a53914a1d3093b.jpg

The northeastern province of Si Sa Ket on Tuesday declared that the prevention and control of dengue fever had become an issue requiring urgent attention throughout its area. Health chiefs said they were especially concerned about what will happen during the latter stages of the traditional rainy season.

Governor Weerasak Wichitsaengsi signed a Memorandum of Understanding for dengue fever prevention and control along with the provincial public health chief Dr Worawuth Cheunta, all district chiefs and Si Sa Ket Hospital. 

The signatories announced at City Hall that seven people had died from dengue so far in 2019 and that 1,664 people were now suffering from the mosquito-borne tropical disease - that equals a ratio of 112.60 per 100,000 population and makes Si Sa Ket the country’s 12th worst-hit province.

They agreed the situation had worsened drastically, saying the monthly figures for those hospitalized in January to July was 81, 62, 128, 101, 217, 618 and 457.

The majority of those affected by this disease were students (1,067 cases), especially those aged 10-14.

Dr Worawuth said the situation was critical as the prevalence rate should not exceed 50 per 100,000 population.

He also warned of a possible dengue fever outbreak during the remaining three months of Thailand’s rainy season, especially in August and September. 

“Everyone has to come together to prevent this disease, not just leave it to public health officials or “Aor Sor Mor” village health volunteers,” he said, urging that the destruction of mosquito larvae breeding grounds must be done every week.

According to a Disease Control Department report on July 23, Thailand’s 2019 death toll from dengue stood at 65 and the total number affected was 53,699, equaling a nationwide ratio of 81.29 per 100,000. 

The Department said the northeastern region had the highest number of patients at 24,197 cases (a ratio of 110.15 per 100,000), followed by the South (7,562 patients and a ratio of 80.70), Central Thailand(14,699 cases or a ratio of 65.90) and the North (7,241 cases or a ratio of 58.31).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373917

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-30

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Everyone has to come together to prevent this disease, not just leave it to public health officials or “Aor Sor Mor” village health volunteers,” he said, urging that the destruction of mosquito larvae breeding grounds must be done every week.

Good idea but exactly what has the government been doing..? I have never seen any fogging being carried out here in Pattaya or are they waiting for it to become a problem before acting..??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

well that's going to help tourism

I am all for the balance of nature and that kind of stuff and I know that there are some issues with interference with certain creatures 

I have trouble figuring how the mosquito fits in to any category that benefits anything or would impact the ecology if they were gone - they breed suck blood spread disease and viruses then die

I remember years ago reading about how scientists could introduce a genetically modified male or female that could spread a mutation and stop them dead in the water - why have they not done that, why have they not wiped them out, all they do is spread disease and death

Are drug companies gaining somehow - is it population control

just wipe them out - I hate them

Unless I am wrong they offer absolutely nothing to the balance of nature 

wipe them out

Agreed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Good idea but exactly what has the government been doing..? I have never seen any fogging being carried out here in Pattaya or are they waiting for it to become a problem before acting..??

Fogging as such will not necessarily halt the Aedes Mosquito who prefers buildings and human prey rather than the average mossy. Also Aedes has adapted to human habitats prefereing also to be inside rather than outside . 

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

They agreed the situation had worsened drastically, saying the monthly figures for those hospitalized in January to July was 81, 62, 128, 101, 217, 618 and 457.

So the officials sat back watching the figures rising & did what exactly?

download.png

6 hours ago, smedly said:

I am all for the balance of nature and that kind of stuff and I know that there are some issues with interference with certain creatures 

I have trouble figuring how the mosquito fits in to any category that benefits anything or would impact the ecology if they were gone - they breed suck blood spread disease and viruses then die

I remember years ago reading about how scientists could introduce a genetically modified male or female that could spread a mutation and stop them dead in the water - why have they not done that, why have they not wiped them out, all they do is spread disease and death

wipe them out

The only insects I think have any use are bees and butterflies, what the hell good do any others do ?

6 hours ago, smedly said:

wipe them out

A few few pointers from the article below ????

“People being bitten by no-see-ums [biting midges] or being infected through them with viruses, protozoa and filarial worms would love to eradicate them," she says. But because some ceratopogonids are pollinators of tropical crops such as cacao, "that would result in a world without chocolate".

“The ecological effect of eliminating harmful mosquitoes is that you have more people.”

"If we eradicated them [mosquitoes] tomorrow, the ecosystems where they are active will hiccup and then get on with life. Something better or worse would take over."

https://www.nature.com/news/2010/100721/full/466432a.html

7 hours ago, smedly said:

wipe them out

Totally agree the world would be better off without them. Try northern Alaska in the summer.

The majority of those affected by this disease were students (1,067 cases), especially those aged 10-14.

Children trapped in mosquito-infested classrooms are far more likely than adults to be bitten and suffer serious illness and even death as a result.

All standing water within school premises should be treated with larvae-killing chemicals and classrooms "fogged" on a daily basis.

Anything less will amount to dereliction of duty by an Education Ministry with the one of the biggest budgets, per capita, in the world.

2 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Not much, most resaerch against malaria and co is paid by third parties in Thailand.

Bill gates foundation one of them...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Children trapped in mosquito-infested classrooms are far more likely than adults to be bitten and suffer serious illness and even death as a result.

All standing water within school premises should be treated with larvae-killing chemicals and classrooms "fogged" on a daily basis.

Anything less will amount to dereliction of duty by an Education Ministry with the one of the biggest budgets, per capita, in the world.

Mosquito window shields would help wonders...

We have them everywhere in germany, here they don't seem to exist??? So weird...

An excellent and cheap solution against mosquitos indoors.

Edited by ThomasThBKK

Many of us have them in our homes. However, I've never seen any in schools where windows are routinely open because classrooms are rarely air-conditioned and consequently insufferably hot.

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Dereliction of Duty is the norm' here on a daily basis in just about every walk of life.    A few people dying every year from Dengue Fever is not going to change things.  The 'Authorities' are too busy figuring ways to extract more monies from the coffers to worry about the lives of ordinary people !

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 9:00 AM, Geoffggi said:

The Fog eventually kills more people (Toxic) than the mosquitos....

On 7/31/2019 at 10:45 AM, Fallangpakwan said:

The only insects I think have any use are bees and butterflies, what the hell good do any others do ?

Well flies, ants, dung beetles and others are all part of the process of decomposition. If they were all to vanish tomorrow within no time we'd be knee deep in dead carcasses and animal dung. But mosquitoes serve no purpose as far as I know, other than spread sickness, death and discomfort, be good if we could eradicate them totally.