Preferred hospital if flying in from Luang Prabang, Laos

simon43

In a couple of weeks I'm leaving Thailand to settle long-term (I hope!) in the UNESCO town of Luang Prabang, north Laos.  I previously lived and worked in LP, and it seems to offer everything that I'm looking for, with the exception of decent hospitals.

I do have '5-star' medical insurance that also includes evacuation cover to the nearest suitable hospital, which would usually mean in Thailand.

I want to pre-plan in case I have to fly to a hospital in Thailand for treatment.

It would seem sensible to maintain some cash in my wallet at all times, let's say 50,000 baht.  My banking is mainly in Thailand, so access to further funds with my Thai ATM cards will be possible.  My insurer will prepay, but I'm considering urgent treatment where contacting the insurer beforehand might be difficult.

But assuming that I fly into Swampy with some illness or accident, what would be the preferred private hospital to head for? Bumrungrad is not on my list because my insurance will only cover 75% of the costs for that specific hospital.

There is no preferred hospital as such. You should if possible elect the doctor and base the hospital on that.

Should you be unable to do so, Suvanbanbhumi airport has a contract of some sort with Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital (which is also not far form airport) and that facilitates things like being met by ambulance right at the plane etc though I imagine other hospitals could arrange that too. Samitivej Srinakarin has an office right in the airport.

• Like 1

Thanks Sheryl, I'll check out Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital.

There are rumours that the Chinese intend to build a modern hospital in LP, in anticipation of the increase in tourism to LP that will no doubt occur when the railway line from Yunnan to Vientiane via LP is completed.

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

Thanks Sheryl, I'll check out Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital.

There are rumours that the Chinese intend to build a modern hospital in LP, in anticipation of the increase in tourism to LP that will no doubt occur when the railway line from Yunnan to Vientiane via LP is completed.

Chinese hospitals are horrible.

Besides, there is already a Chinese hospital in town. It's called the "Lao-Chinese friendship hospital". Check it out if you want, though you might get strange looks being a falang. Might also help if you can speak Chinese though I'd imagine there would be Lao speaking doctors and nurses on staff, not sure about English speakers though.

7 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Chinese hospitals are horrible.

Besides, there is already a Chinese hospital in town. It's called the "Lao-Chinese friendship hospital". Check it out if you want, though you might get strange looks being a falang. Might also help if you can speak Chinese though I'd imagine there would be Lao speaking doctors and nurses on staff, not sure about English speakers though.

Yes, I'm familiar with the existing Chinese hospital in LP.   Visited it in 2013 when I lived in LP. But speaking to colleagues who live in LP, there is a plan by the Chinese to build a 'world-class' (certainly better than the current) hospital, as well as a hospitality training school.

My interest in a hospital in Bangkok is not to do with a long-term ailment that might arise - more if I get severe dengue or have an accident that requires urgent (ish) treatment that can't be provided by the hospitals in LP.

11 hours ago, simon43 said:

more if I get severe dengue or have an accident that requires urgent (ish) treatment that can't be provided by the hospitals in LP.

I think you need to rethink some of your plan. its not realistic to think you are going anywhere on a airline if you have a serious problem. you need executive evacuation. impassible kidney stones, appendicitis, gall bladder stones, heart attack, stroke, broken leg or hip, concussion, auto accident. sorry.       

what if you suddenly got dizzy? how would you know what it is? head for the airport and hope you don't pass out? 

I had a torn rotator cuff which came out of the blue and I lost the use of my right arm. Good luck packing, carrying any thing when you are in horrible pain. Line at immigration? In a hotel in Bangkok? Maybe alone? Sick with dengue?

50k in your wallet is not going to help. it will just be stolen. I have a old style dog tag with all my info stamped on it for when i go on my motorcycle all over alone. Insurance policy number, PP number, full name, Visa number in reverse, memorized security code.

you need to go to the closest hospital near where you live and get registered there now. maybe go for a basic health check up so you get a ID card and you are in their system. Make sure you have a Visa credit card with you and your insurance card on file at the hospital. 

What passport do you hold?

Don't forget to make sure the Thai hospital files your TM-30.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Thanks 1

I repeat: 

You need to go to the closest hospital near where you live and get registered there now. maybe go for a basic health check up so you get a ID card and you are in their system. Make sure you have a Visa credit card with you and your insurance card on file at the hospital. 

Furthermore, you need to know someone in advance,  ie now, who would handle a medical evacuation should the need arise and should you not be able to do it. This maybe a relative,  a friend, an insurance or a specialized company.  Friends or relatives usually don't have the know-how and are useless. Many insurance companies have no clue and are useless,  too (it is near impossible for you to find out which one is a useful one). Companies like International SOS or Bangkok Hospital do have the know-how but are not accessible for everybody. 

Check with expats in LP working for global companies how they prepare themselves. 

Your credit card should have a limit of not less than 500000 THB, 1 mio would be better. 

How old are you? Laos is no country for old men. 

Edited by uhuh

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I think you need to rethink some of your plan. its not realistic to think you are going anywhere on a airline if you have a serious problem. you need executive evacuation. impassible kidney stones, appendicitis, gall bladder stones, heart attack, stroke, broken leg or hip, concussion, auto accident. sorry.       

what if you suddenly got dizzy? how would you know what it is? head for the airport and hope you don't pass out? 

I had a torn rotator cuff which came out of the blue and I lost the use of my right arm. Good luck packing, carrying any thing when you are in horrible pain. Line at immigration? In a hotel in Bangkok? Maybe alone? Sick with dengue?

50k in your wallet is not going to help. it will just be stolen. I have a old style dog tag with all my info stamped on it for when i go on my motorcycle all over alone. Insurance policy number, PP number, full name, Visa number in reverse, memorized security code.

you need to go to the closest hospital near where you live and get registered there now. maybe go for a basic health check up so you get a ID card and you are in their system. Make sure you have a Visa credit card with you and your insurance card on file at the hospital. 

What passport do you hold?

Don't forget to make sure the Thai hospital files your TM-30.

I have a $1.2 million medical insurance policy that includes medical evacuation.  I have dog tags with my insurance details and I have a sticker and medical insurance card attached inside my passport.

So I'm not talking about a serious sudden ailment that renders me unable to walk or fly on a normal flight.  My insurance will take care of that.  I'm talking about walking wounded, where my insurer doesn't consider it a medical evacuation emergency.  In those circumstances, although I'm fully insured for in- patient treatment, it might be prudent for me to seek treatment at a better-equipped hospital in Thailand.

"How old are you? Laos is no country for old men. "

I don't agree.  As regards accidents, any age group can be hit by a bus.  As regards sudden ailments, I've minimised my risk of heart attack/stroke by following a healthy diet and daily exercise, coupled with annual health checks with exercise stress test, EKGs etc.  My resting heart rate is about 45 now, down from 70 some 3 years ago. Chronic illnesses such as cancer would have to be dealt with if they arise and might mean relocating to a country with closer treatment facilities.

I have no concerns about moving back to live in Laos, but it's prudent to be aware of the closest hospital to Swampy, and Sheryl has provided that information. (I'm already registered at St. Louis and BKK Christian).

• Like 1