"A temple is not a catwalk!" - Thais slam British tourist for temple pictures

webfact

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/31/2019 at 9:57 AM, gunderhill said:

Meanwhile where netizens and their great big  honking  noses arent, at the ruins in Ayuthaya the  Thais are  walking all over their "precious" temple ruins even though signs are written in Thai and English saying "dont".

Thais, worlds  biggest busybodies, got nothing better to do all day except gawk at their phones.

All Thais love bossing other about and all think they can tell everyone else what to do but always please themselves what they do.

Classic do as we say not as we do merchants.

19 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I react just because you position is not reasonable.

That can clearly be seen on your firt sentence. It´s exactly like I say. You are coming here, stating what is disrespectful and what is not. Who gave you that right? They disrespect thai culture and thai traditions as well as budhist customs and behaviour. It´s a disrespectful thing in the eyes of Thai people. What you deem disrespectful has no bearing in the eyes of Thai people. People that comes here should respect the ways och cunstoms set by the people of the country. End of that. If you can´t grasp that, I can only fell sorry for you. The rest of the pure garbage you spoutes out, I am not even going to pretend that I´ve been reading.

If think they can live with the knowledge of getting rid of both the people and the money, regarding people that can´t respect their way and culture. Cheers!

Retard alert. ???? 'End of that'! ???? 'Buddhist customs / behaviour' - says who? You? Not any actual Buddhist, that's for sure.

Can't even argue against any of my very reasonable points either. Typical. 

23 hours ago, chrisinth said:

I'm trying, with difficulty, to remember what we use to complain about before we had social (sic) media. And all the 'terrible' things we used to get away with. Today (in every single country) we have trolls whose sole mission in life is to make mountains out of molehills. I know this has a religious twist to it, but come on.

Not saying it was right to do it, but were there signs available for the tourists on what is acceptable in the temple grounds? Just asking.

I have visions of the day when some visitor shares their picture of them putting ketchup or even HP sauce on their somtam and the uproar that would cause. That would amount to immigration having the lynchpin to get rid of all of us.

Truly sad IMO.

People were still complaining but before they never had a platform like what social media offers today

17 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

It is likely her her feet were above head level of Buddhist artefacts but that is not really the point. Thai people have clearly indicated this action in this particular place is unacceptable Please take heed and bluster less. I saw  dreadful behaviour in Loei last year by scantily clad backpackers and their moronic boyfriend at temples and holy places. The post and complaint about 'catwalk girl' should be taken as advice on a broad front regarding behaviour in Temples and other holy places. She got criticized not stoned to death. People took the time to explain it was not acceptable behaviour just as spraying the walls with graffiti is not acceptable.  Too many dumb tourists abusing Thai values and too many Thai haters and cultural imperialists using such stories to tell the Thais what to do and how to feel. If you get upset by such things perhaps Thailand is not for you.

I have lived here for 11 years and know a fair amount about Thai culture and Thai people (speak the language well, have lived and worked among Thais for many years and have been with a half-Thai for 9 of those 11 years) and I have nothing against either. They are what they are, they have their ways and we have ours, I don't think this is the point, however.

One big difference between the UK for example and Thailand is that we're able to take 'perceived slights' in our stride far more readily and are a lot less precious about such things than too many Thais seem to be. This is provably so - in some many areas. Surely you've notived how quickly (many) Thais are unduly outraged and adopt a holier-than-thou approach to literally anything regarding Thai culture or what they perceive to be a slight to it, even if it is unintended - as in this case. I think Thais need to grow up a little in regard to such matters, that is my view. I am not 'upset' in the slightest by this supposed 'transgression' simply because it was clearly not intended to insult and there was very little if anything done that any reasonable person would consider insulting. The foot and head-level is debatable, but not explicit, I have seen other tourists doing very similar things, and many of them were Asian, some perhaps even Thai. I'm not going to reiterate the points I made previously, they stand, as far I am concerned. The fact that this was on national news says all you need to know, it is taken too seriously. No offense was intended from this particular incident, that seems clear. Unlike some other instances I can think of - when I would side with the Thais.

'Too many dumb tourists abusing Thai values' - I don't disagree on this point, but there are degrees of insult/stupidity and the most important thing is the intent behind it, in my opinion it seems clear there was no malice in this instance, whatsoever

'She got criticized not stoned to death.'  - There were some pretty unsavourty comments made, and some were on national TV - again OTT, unnecessary and childish. 

'cultural imperialists using such stories to tell the Thais what to do and how to feel.' - Calm down ????, whipping out 'cultrual relativism / imperialism' is usually a big tell, to my mind. I'm merely suggesting they get over themselves a wee bit, the same perceived 'offense' wouldn't hold any water where I'm from, it would be laughed down, simple as that.

'If you get upset by such things perhaps Thailand is not for you.' - As stated, not angered or upset by any of this at all, simply suggesting its a typical overreaction. I've been here long enough to know that Thailand is becoming less and less 'for me' but that's probably just because I am growing and am need of a change. Lots of things wrong with Thailand, lots of wonderful things about the place too, all a matter of perspective and what is important to the individual.

18 hours ago, Genmai said:

It's what is routinely taught in Vipassana centers which transmit the pure teachings of the way of Dhamma as passed down from the Buddha himself. His message regarding the shunning of temple/shrine building and idol worship can be easily inferred from numerous instances of his teachings, in particular those addressing the folly of attachment to physical objects and the following of the path of Dhamma being the only true way of paying homage to him. Here is one such example from the Dhammapada:

• Vakkali, it will be of no use to you by always keeping close to me, looking at my face. You should practice concentration meditation. For indeed, only the one who sees the Dhamma sees me. One who does not see the Dhamma does not see me.

-

• When it was made to know the disciples that Buddha would realized in four months time, most of the puthujjana bhikkhus (i.e who had not attained any of megga) felt extremely depressed and didn't know what to do. They just stayed close to the Buddha, hardly even leaving his presence. But there was a bhikkhu named Dhammarama who kept to himself and didn't go near the Buddha. His intention was to strive most ardently to attain arahatship before the passing away of Buddha. Other bhikkhus misunderstood his behavior and said to Buddha, 'This bhikkhu does not seem to have affection or regard or reverence for you. He has been staying by himself while all the other bhikkhus are staying close to Buddha.' Dhammarama then respectfully explained to Buddha why he had not come to see the Buddha and also reported that he had been striving utmost in insight meditation practice.
  • The Buddha was very pleased and said, 'My son Dhammarama, you have done very well. A bhikkhu who loves and respects me should act like you. Those who made offering of flowers, scents and incense to me are not really paying homage. Only those who practice the Dhamma are the ones who truly pay homage to me.'

-

• Driven only by fear, do men go for refuge to many places -- to hills, woods, groves, trees and shrines. Such, indeed, is no safe refuge; such is not the refuge supreme. Not by resorting to such a refuge is one released from all suffering.

-

• Be a lamp onto yourself. Be a refuge to yourself. Don’t take yourself to external refuge. Hold fast to the truth as a lamp. Hold fast as a refuge to the truth. Work at your own salvation with diligence.

-

• Ananda, why does the order of Sangha expect this of me? I have taught the Dhamma completely. I have 'no teacher's fist' (in which certain truths are held back). You should live as islands unto yourselves, being your own refuge, seeking no other refuge. Those monks who in my time and afterwards, live thus, seeking an island and refuge in themselves and in the Dhamma and nowhere else, Those zealous ones are truly my monks and will overcome the darkness (of rebirth).
  • Ananda, it might be that some of you think 'The master in instruction has vanished, now we have no master.' It should not be seen like this. What I have taught and explained to you as Dhamma and disciplines (Vinaya) will, after I pass away, be your master.

-

• "There are these two kinds of gifts: a gift of material things & a gift of the Dharma. Of the two, this is supreme: a gift of the Dharma.
  • "There are these two kinds of sharing: sharing of material things & sharing of the Dharma. Of the two, this is supreme: sharing of the Dharma.
  • "There are these two kinds of assistance: assistance with material things & assistance with the Dharma. Of the two, this is supreme: help with the Dharma.
  • "There are these two kinds of mass-donations: a mass-donation of material things & a mass-donation of the Dharma. Of the two, this is supreme: a mass-donation of the Dharma."

You have done well with your cites. You have learned. Keep to the path you are on. My thinking is that perhaps you are a Stream Enterer. Do not waver side to side. Keep to your straight path. 

Thank you, and blessings. ????????????????????????

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

All this is starting to be a very stupid thread. We seem to have a big brigade of foreigner in this forum that believe they can come to Thailand and disregard the culture, it´s meaning and the way of doing things in Thailand according to the Thai people. 

Maybe it´s timne for all of you to sit down and realize that you are the ones in a foreign country. It´s not your conutry. You do not decide what is bad or good. You do not set the rules for what is acceptable or not. Actually, You have noting at all to say or do that can change the way of tradition, beliefs and culture.

What you are is guests in this country, that should have the common sense to accept the peoples wishes and ways. You are obligated to show respect to the country, the people and their rules and ways of living in their society. If you continute post your pure garbage regarding this and other stuff in this forum, that once was a good and respectful place to read on, maybe it´s time to think about moving away from here.

Just realize that your ways, your way of thinking and what you want is not relevant to the Thai population. You are a guest and should treat the country with a respectful attitude, and not like overgrown children that want to have it your way.

You seem to assume on the basis of some Thai people voicing their displeasure on social media that the whole population of 70 Million concur with their assessment. I dare say that neither you, myself or anybody else can say with any degree of certainty if that picture is being viewed as offensive to the majority of the Thai people.

My thai partner showed the picture to a variety of people in my presence such as my landlord (a Muslim), Friends of hers, the postal delivery guy, the cashier lady of a big motorbike outlet and a few others. The overwhelming reaction was a mixture of bewilderment and disinterest in the subject and the proverbial penny dropped only after revealing the full story surrounding the picture in question. Nobody in this group felt offended but there was a general consensus that some sections of Thai society could be felt disrespected.

People on both sides of the argument seem to fall into the trap of viewing a few utterings on social media  as being representative for for the whole population.

2 hours ago, traveller101 said:

You seem to assume on the basis of some Thai people voicing their displeasure on social media that the whole population of 70 Million concur with their assessment. I dare say that neither you, myself or anybody else can say with any degree of certainty if that picture is being viewed as offensive to the majority of the Thai people.

My thai partner showed the picture to a variety of people in my presence such as my landlord (a Muslim), Friends of hers, the postal delivery guy, the cashier lady of a big motorbike outlet and a few others. The overwhelming reaction was a mixture of bewilderment and disinterest in the subject and the proverbial penny dropped only after revealing the full story surrounding the picture in question. Nobody in this group felt offended but there was a general consensus that some sections of Thai society could be felt disrespected.

People on both sides of the argument seem to fall into the trap of viewing a few utterings on social media  as being representative for for the whole population.

You can say what you want. I am not stating that the whole population goes out and condemn this on social media, nor shouting that it´s horrible. What I can say, was probably that nobody of the persons your wife asked and showed the picture for will agrre with that it is an acceptable behaviour.

More criticism heaped on French tourist’s disrespectful temple act

By Thanakorn Wongnang
The Nation

800_19c353d3b680d53.jpg

Photo Courtesy of CM108.com

Criticism has continued to pour in against a French tourist who posted online a photo of herself walking along the top of a wall around the historic Ku Chao Luang attraction within the compound of Chiang Mai’s Wat Suan Dok.

The photo was posted on the woman's Facebook and Instagram pages on June 15, but Thais came to know about in only recently and shared it widely this week along with criticism of the “inappropriate action”. Some incensed viewers have tried to get Facebook to remove the photo.

A reporter from The Nation visited Wat Suan Dok on Thursday and found that the temple – which receives large numbers of tourists every day - had posted a sign urging appropriate behaviour, in Thai and English. Ku Chao Luang is where the urns carrying the ashes and bones of Chiang Mai’s kings and royal family members are kept. It was registered as a national ancient site under the supervision of the Fine Arts Department in 1935.

Tour guide Chiewcharn Hassadisewi, who was leading 10 tourists from the Netherlands to visit the temple, said he always stressed the need for tourists to act appropriately while visiting Thai temples. 

Chiewcharn said the tourist in the photo had travelled on her own and this made it harder for people to spot her actions. He also urged the temple authorities to erect more signs in many foreign languages to ensure tourists got the message.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374061

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-01

I was enjoying my visit to Chiang mai Temple 2days ago. Unfortunately the moment was shattered by the familiar sound ( in western country) of a skateboard been ridden. Sure enough it was Thai lad about 18, ( yes My assumption) going round like he was in a skate park.  I was sitting close by to 5 Monks as he blantantly rode passed, nothing said.  Maybe he was a few noddles short and just enjoying himself. 

TiT  sabi sabi.

On 7/31/2019 at 2:33 PM, martinhp said:

No it's just a misunderstanding she are not walking she is flying very very close to the wall but not walking. 

So no problem 

thats  actually true,  she is  not  touching  the  wall  the  electromagnetic  force  wont  let  her.

23 hours ago, hmficc said:

Another farang to tell us all about the real Buddhism. 555555555

Although I cannot give a link or reference I distinctly remember reading an interview with a Thai abbot, who said that his best students/novices/trainees were foreigners.

He said that they were, generally, more knowledgeable, more enthusiastic and more committed to the essence of "real" Buddhism than were the Thais who came to stay at his temple.

He said they had carefully studied and thought about Buddhism and, most importantly, had made it a choice and not just something to be done because it was the "custom", "expected" or because they thought it would give them good fortune and bring "luck" to their families.

He said that, compared to the foreigners, most of the Thais were just "going through the motions".

16 hours ago, kiwinz said:

I was enjoying my visit to Chiang mai Temple 2days ago. Unfortunately the moment was shattered by the familiar sound ( in western country) of a skateboard been ridden. Sure enough it was Thai lad about 18, ( yes My assumption) going round like he was in a skate park.  I was sitting close by to 5 Monks as he blantantly rode passed, nothing said.  Maybe he was a few noddles short and just enjoying himself. 

TiT  sabi sabi.

Well someone at the temple that day was definitely a few noodles short. 

Hope you don't ever have to leave that temple becasue you'll be shocked to hear and see, loud motorbikes and tuktuks with smoke fumes, shops with loud music, cars beeping their horns, smokey air from farmers......no sir. Best you stay inside your bubble.

1 hour ago, TPI said:

Her only sin was to distract Thai praying for money, this of course is unforgivable as god may have been distracted for a millisecond!!

GOD ???? what about Buddha

On 8/1/2019 at 5:49 AM, hmficc said:

Another farang to tell us all about the real Buddhism. 555555555

Yeah they should stop it. Thais know best, the only correct divine way is to enter the temple after murdering your neighbour while on yaba and start a succesful drug running business while staying at the temple with the gik. Thai way or highway, baby!

37 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

GOD ???? what about Buddha

For all practical purposes "buddhism" here is just another commercial venture, an organized religion. Never mind if it's buddha, allah or the great spaghetti monster as long as the baht keeps flowing.

I don’t understand because they trash their own country, are rude yelling on their their phones everywhere...are hardly a Buddhist country because every aspect of life revolves around money, especially the temples.  How is taking nice pics of yourself at a temple damaging?  Thais break and trash the ancient temples, parks...

Bye bye tourists ????

Archived