Residential off peak electricity

Millian

Just moved into a townhouse and was asking the owner approx how much the electricity bill normally is; he said its quite cheap as he switched to an off peak tariff. 

I've had a search on Google but couldn't find any info about any off peak tariff. 

Any body have any info? 

Edited by Millian

as far as I know, there is no such thing as an "off peak" tariff.  The rate per KWH increases as your usage increases.  The other variable is the fuel tariff applied which chagnes periodically, every 6 months, I think.  It is currently -0.1160/kwh.  Here's a link to the PEA rate schedule as of November 2018: https://www.pea.co.th/Portals/1/demand_response/Electricity Tariffs Nov61.pdf?ver=2018-11-21-145427-433

13 hours ago, Crossy said:

@Millian will you be paying your bill direct to MEA/PEA or will you be paying the landlord?

Direct billing would be around 4 Baht per unit (it's variable with usage), landlord rate, who knows ... 

Direct to MEA. 

He sounded quiet adament he had switched to an off peak tariff. 

I'll see if I can quiz him further. 

22 minutes ago, Millian said:

Direct to MEA. 

He sounded quiet adament he had switched to an off peak tariff. 

I'll see if I can quiz him further. 

There is type 1 .3 which is "Type 1.3 : Residentail Service on Time of Use Tariff (TOU tariff)"

There are 4 common tariffs 1.1, 1.2, 1.3.1, 1.3.2  However unless the  majority of your usage is at night you may be paying much more for your power. 

Example 1.2 tarif:  200 units 763.31

example 1.3.2 tarif: 100 peak 100 off peak 918.63 

• Like 1

Wow... on-peak is 9AM - 10PM M-F!  Doesn’t seem like a very good deal if you use air-con before going to bed... or an electric cooker.  Great rate though if you have solar and a battery for late evening use.

Energy Charge(Baht/kWh) Service Charge(Baht/Month)
  On Peak Off Peak  
1.3.1 : 12 - 24 kV. 5.1135 2.6037 312.24
1.3.2 : Below 12 kV. 5.7982 2.6369 38.22

On Peak
Monday – Friday from 09.00 AM to 10.00 PM

Off Peak
Monday – Friday from 10.00 PM to 09.00 AM
Saturday – Sunday , National Labor Day and normal public holiday 
(excluding substitution holiday and Royal Ploughing Day) from 00.00 AM to 12.00 PM

Thanks for the info.

Landlord said he had a new digital meter installed, which is different from the old meters, which are progressive.

I have the bill here and it is indeed Tariff 1.3.2

I just added the new meter to the MEA Smartlife app to compare past costs between the house bill and my old condo.

One month they used 636 KWh at a cost of  ฿2246.89
Similar month in my condo used 635 KWh at a cost of ฿2724.62

So will be interesting to see how much it will be end of month. 

Town house is obviously much bigger than my condo (although it was 70sqm 2 bedroom), but the aircon units were very old compared to the newer house.

The house is empty most of the week days, as we are all at work and school.  So aircon will be mostly used through the night. 

Funny you should mention solar, there are three panels on the yard roof; he said he mainly used it to power the water pump in (the now empty) fish pond. It's connect to smallish battery, don't think it would be enough to power the house.