The week that was in Thailand news: Bikes, bikes more bikes and bombs - but the death of a newborn made me cry.

rooster59

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

injured bikes

Please let us know what an "injured bike" is".

The state of the left lanes with all their bumps and damage from the breaking of large trucks

Who breaks large vehicles on the roads?

ordered her to drive to a curtain motel.

Is a "curtain motel" a new type of Thai residence?

Just curious about those items.

Rooster, have you given up on Scrabble, or is there a new version I know nothing about?

'nuf sed.

• Haha 2

Had to skim read the part about the baby when nobody was around.  I'm well known as a weeper, and that story was just heart breaking beyond words.

Re the traffic observations, I've always felt it was due in large part to the diversity of traffic here.  From scooter to Tuktuk, car to SUV, Large trucks HGV etc, they all have their own behaviour.  It's like putting skiers and snowboarders on the same piste.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

I must be getting old.

But I stick by curtain motel. Though I have never taken up residence in one....

Rooster

As someone who also rides a motorcycle (okay a scooter), when damaged, I feel it as if it were a personal injury. Okay, I actually thought it was just a fun tun or phrase. 

I thought "breaking of large trucks" was an intentional double entendre. 

As opposed to making short time use of one, I assume. 

Yep, that baby story had me in tears as well. As for the big motorbike rubbish, as a rider of a BMW 650 here, riding a bigger m/bike is FAR safer if you are an experienced rider, which of course the majority of Thai BB riders aren't. The vast majority of accidents are on small m/bikes, but these are mostly unimportant people as far as the powers that be are concerned, unlike big bikes which tend to be ridden by Thais with money, which suddenly means that they care about it... Pathetic doesn't begin to describe it, but TIT...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I hadn't read the original story but those few lines above brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you for expressing your feelings on this so eloquently and succinctly

Human beings are capable of commuting horrendous crimes but on their own flesh and blood? Even animals do not do that.  There was a recent article about humans being devoid of souls but still with spirits and there are more and more of these people nowadays. These people function like animals with animal cunning but without human aspirations. They are unable to rise above the daily grind of surviving. Maybe it is all due to karma. Maybe the baby is better off to a better world than to be brought up in this world by such parents .

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

I think Rooster you forgot to mention a special event in Bangkok which was the first time since 1935.

What would be the point of getting the column withdrawn and Thaivisa heavily censured (that doesn't mean censored, by the way). Do, you understand nothing about the problems faced by public media in Thailand? 

34 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

What would be the point of getting the column withdrawn and Thaivisa heavily censured (that doesn't mean censored, by the way). Do, you understand nothing about the problems faced by public media in Thailand? 

It's not about criticism but good journalism. I suppose you think only in patterns of thai bashing. 

10 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Please let us know what an "injured bike" is".

Who breaks large vehicles on the roads?

Is a "curtain motel" a new type of Thai residence?

Just curious about those items.

Rooster, have you given up on Scrabble, or is there a new version I know nothing about?

'nuf sed.

Proof reader on holiday?

10 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

It's not about criticism but good journalism. I suppose you think only in patterns of thai bashing. 

Yes, I do think you were thinking salaciously. Rooster knows which topics can safely be covered and which not, he doesn't need your suggestions I'm sure. 

16 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Yes, I do think you were thinking salaciously. Rooster knows which topics can safely be covered and which not, he doesn't need your suggestions I'm sure. 

And I didn't know that you are his "alter ego". 

2 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Human beings are capable of commuting horrendous crimes but on their own flesh and blood? Even animals do not do that.  There was a recent article about humans being devoid of souls but still with spirits and there are more and more of these people nowadays. These people function like animals with animal cunning but without human aspirations. They are unable to rise above the daily grind of surviving. Maybe it is all due to karma. Maybe the baby is better off to a better world than to be brought up in this world by such parents .

You are talking about the heartless  Chinese....sad story the parents should be burned in public...DOH! I dont like most Muslims either so nix the public burning but they deserve to suffer. 

17 hours ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Australians are also suffering - and they haven't even lost the Ashes yet! ????????

"How Very Dare You!!"  to quote a well know actress.

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2019 at 4:59 PM, rooster59 said:

to firstly train them at schools and secondly subsidize good quality helmets for them to wear. 

As i have said before on this forum in the village where i live, helmets were handed out free, albeit probably not good quality, but even so,hardly anyone bothers to wear them while the cop with a helmet cam,directs the kids 4 up on a bike no helmets across the intersection..............

• Like 1