Extension of stay (marriage) 400,000 from overseas

I will soon be applying for an extension of stay based on marriage. I read somewhere that you need proof that the 400,000 baht was transferred from overseas.

In my case, I have transferred money across to my Thai bank over the course of a couple of years, rather than one large deposit. I used transferwise, as it happens.

My question is, it it necessary to show proof that the money came in from an overseas account? If so, how would I go about doing that if there are many transfers spread out over a few years, rather than one large one.

It will be the Jomtien immigration office in which I apply (not sure if this makes a difference).

36 minutes ago, drh1010 said:

My question is, it it necessary to show proof that the money came in from an overseas account? If so, how would I go about doing that if there are many transfers spread out over a few years, rather than one large one.

As long as you have a Non O visa issued abroad they shouldn’t ask for proof the funds came from abroad.

If you enter as a tourist, and apply for the Non O at immigration, they will want proof.

I got this two weeks ago from the I.O officier booth 8,  at the Jomtien office.  Basically told her that I wanted to ship addition money from my bank back home and was using Transferwise and as we know lately some problems with the deposit ing ( FTT ) in the bank book.

"Told,  when it comes to the 800,000 or 400,000 method they aren't concern about how it is marked in the bank book but whether the funds are there enough been seasoned before and after "  There is also a new hand made sign in front of the Booth 8 stating "  90 report with bank book "

Good luck

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

I got this two weeks ago from the I.O officier booth 8,  at the Jomtien office.  Basically told her that I wanted to ship addition money from my bank back home and was using Transferwise and as we know lately some problems with the deposit ing ( FTT ) in the bank book.

"Told,  when it comes to the 800,000 or 400,000 method they aren't concern about how it is marked in the bank book but whether the funds are there enough been seasoned before and after "  There is also a new hand made sign in front of the Booth 8 stating "  90 report with bank book "

Good luck

Thanks for the info. Good to hear from someone who has done it recently at the same office I plan to do it

I will soon apply marriage visa non-O in my homecountry. I've contacted embassy and based on my understanding, they required me to have 400k baht "sleep" in bank account for 2 months prior my visa application. is this true? My case is that my 400k is scattered through Singapore bank, Thai Bank, and Indonesia bank. I could gather them all in one designated account but then i will need the visa as late as October 2019, which mean barely 2 months away from August.

Another option is to apply 3-month single entry non-O, then replace/renew/re-extend it in Thailand to be 1-year non-O (that should give enough time for 400K to sleep 2 months in the bank). But where can i extend it? We will live in North and travel down to ChaengWattana is quite troublesome. Can i replace that 3-month non-O with 1-year multi-entry somewhere in the north of Thailand?

And how do i prove of this "sleeping" 400K saving? just take the bank's book to immigration? or do i need to request the bank to issue me some kind of document?

Thank you

1 hour ago, arfandy said:

I will soon apply marriage visa non-O in my homecountry. I've contacted embassy and based on my understanding, they required me to have 400k baht "sleep" in bank account for 2 months prior my visa application. is this true? My case is that my 400k is scattered through Singapore bank, Thai Bank, and Indonesia bank. I could gather them all in one designated account but then i will need the visa as late as October 2019, which mean barely 2 months away from August.

Another option is to apply 3-month single entry non-O, then replace/renew/re-extend it in Thailand to be 1-year non-O (that should give enough time for 400K to sleep 2 months in the bank). But where can i extend it? We will live in North and travel down to ChaengWattana is quite troublesome. Can i replace that 3-month non-O with 1-year multi-entry somewhere in the north of Thailand?

And how do i prove of this "sleeping" 400K saving? just take the bank's book to immigration? or do i need to request the bank to issue me some kind of document?

Thank you

If you come in with a single entry non-O you should be able to apply for an extension of stay before the final month of the visa's validity and by then have the money in a bank for 2 months. 

As far as I know you will be able to apply for an extension of stay in any of the immigration offices. If you mention the town/city you will live in perhaps someone can advise of the closest one. I think most provinces have one.

1 hour ago, arfandy said:

I’ve never heard of an embassy/consulate wanting the 400K to have been in your account for 2 months. That is usually only required by immigration in Thailand when extending a stay.

If they do insist on 2 months I don’t see why they wouldn’t accept multiple accounts.

Where are you applying for the visa?

You can apply at your local immigration office in the north. It must be the office that covers your address/area. You can only apply in Bangkok if you live in Bangkok.

The 400K must be in a Thai bank account, and you show them an updated passbook with a letter from the bank confirming the balance.

Edited by elviajero

On 8/4/2019 at 6:53 AM, ubonjoe said:

That is only required for retirement. Not needed when applying for the visa based upon marriage.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_79

For the avoidance of doubt, when applying for a further extension of stay based on marriage, is a) the 400,000 baht seasoned funds  required to have originated from overseas and thus shown as a foreign transfer or not ?,  and b) when applying for a further extension of stay based on marriage and the income method,  is the 40,000 baht monthly transfer an average monthly transfer  ? and are these transfers required to have originated from overseas and thus shown in the bank statements as a foreign transfer ?

Edited by geoffbezoz