Best Thailand stock brokers in 2019?

Hi guys,

There's been a few topics about brokers on here but they seem to be quite old, so I'm wondering if anyone could recommend what brokers I should be getting started with in Thailand in 2019?

I'm admittedly a newbie at this. Can I just roll up to my K-Bank branch and tell them I wanna trade stocks? Do they have their own broker they can set me up with? Also how do I get into ETFs? Are all ETFs available through all brokers?

Thanks!

Whilst most banks here own brokerages, you can't open a brokerage account at a bank branch, but have to approach the brokerage directly.  Many allow you to apply online, then submit supporting documentation by post.  You may have to approach several brokers before you find one that will accept you.

Are you dreaming of trading Thai stocks, or international? If the latter, you'd need to check that the broker supports the markets you're interested in.  Also check the costs.

All ETFs listed on the SET will be available through all brokers.

Given your lack of experience, though, I strongly suspect you'd be better off buying mutual funds (including LTFs and RMFs which come with substantial tax benefits if you are working in Thailand).  These can be bought through your local bank - though each bank typically only offers a limited range.  Much easier to open an account, too.

Thank you @Oxx!

I'm looking at building a portfolio of mostly dividend stocks and ETFs. Not really thinking of trading stocks actively - once I put my money in I don't want to touch it or move anything for several years. Would like to start with Thai stocks first, then maybe add a few international ones later.

Would you be able to comment on SBITO and poems? Looking at those two particular brokers since SBITO has very low rates and no daily minimum of 50 baht, while poems is the only Thai broker I've found so far that claims access to global markets.

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

Are you dreaming of trading Thai stocks, or international?

I'm dreaming of yahts and diamond-clad dancers, but mostly just about being able to afford a Hoegarden rather than a Leo on weekends.

33 minutes ago, Genmai said:

Not really thinking of trading stocks actively - once I put my money in I don't want to touch it or move anything for several years.

I really think that's not a very good idea.  Do you have the ability and language skills to analyse individuals stocks before purchase? And buying and ignoring is a terrible strategy.  Stocks need to be monitored regularly.  Otherwise you might end up losing a lot of capital.  Are you going to be reading the Thai language financial press every day?

Incidentally, by going for high dividend stocks, it's especially important to be able to analyse the company concerned.  Dividends are high for a reason, and it's often that the company has serious problems.

I still think you'd be better of going down the mutual fund route with funds such as https://www.ktam.co.th/mutual-fund-detail.aspx?IdF=2&lang=en - and doubly so if you can take advantage of the tax breaks.  I find property funds such as PHATRA PROP D and TMBAM PIPF attractive.  They are both high yielding.  Let the fund manager do the selection and monitoring.

AFAIK, you're right and that Phillip's POEMS is the only broker providing online international access.  It has a good reputation.  SBITO is a newer operation.  I don't know anything about it.

For trading international stocks, you might consider an offshore brokerage such as Internaxx (Luxembourg), Saxo (Singapore) or Interactive Brokers (USA).  IBKR in particular is dirt cheap, though their trading platforms have an extraordinarily steep learning curve.  For ease of use Internaxx is the best of the three.

FWIW I use KGI Securities for Thai mutual funds and ETFs, and both Internaxx and IBKR for international markets.  I did hold an account with Saxo, but closed it because of steep increases in fees.

Thank you for the great advice.

I'm still learning as much as I can at this point before putting any money in. One thing I'm having trouble with is finding a good data source on the fundamentals of Thai companies. Seeking Alpha has some great user friendly responsive charts that communicate the information quickly and clearly (I really like how you can see the dividend growth over many years at a glance), but seems like they have no access to Thai stocks. 

Are there any good websites that show this information for Thai stocks? 

On 8/7/2019 at 12:56 PM, Oxx said:

The obvious place to start is https://marketdata.set.or.th/mkt/marketsummary.do

You might find https://thaistocks.com/ has some helpful general information.

I guess Thaistocks.com is the most terrible Site to learn about Invest in Thai Stocks. The Owner of the Website  recommend in the last Years only crap.

Most of his advice was completely Shit. I guess it is more an Way to earn some Money for himself over Subscription Fees . 

He recommendations are mostly Loss Making ,terrible Managed Small Caps  like CHO,PPS BWG, Demco and an endless Stream of other Stocks in the past 3 Years who lost 30-70% since he screaming it an strong buy.

So even if the run 100% from here you still sitting on Losses.

The Thai Stock Market is clearly for Trading not for Investors.

Most of Small Caps / Micro Caps ends up usually somewhere in the Satang Level sooner or later.

Whenever they make an nice Rally up you MUST to Sell same like most Thai Traders do.

Big Cap Shares doing relatively well as they included in Big International Indices like MSCI or FTSE.  There you can find  good some decent Managed Company’s like CPF, BKI,AIT, TTW, TU, HANA , BJC ,etc. 

They pay mostly as well an sustainable Dividend why most Small / Micro Caps are mostly pay nothing or tiny unstable Dividends that sometimes suspended for Years .

if you like to have an good Exposure to Thai Stocks then  I think you start with some ETF on the MSCI Thailand that is listed on the SET like BMSCITH or the SET 50 with the Symbol TDEX or the High Dividend Index with Symbol   1 DIV. The last one comes with Good Dividends as well...

So you have an Market Return along with Dividends . The ETFs are more expensive then in Western Country’s but still better then most of extremely expensive ( as an lot of hidden costs) Thai Mutual Funds .

Thai Mutual Funds are costly and underperform..if you not need here better invest in Mutual Funds from well known Company’s like Fidelity,Templeton,Blackrock. 

However, sometimes Thai Fund Company’s just use this big International Funds Name it as their Own( Feeder Fund) and out another Annual Fee on Top..

STAY AWAY!!

As I Trade close to 25Years on Thai Stock Market I guess everyone take an closer Look how it works here as the Market is much more different here with an lot of Insider Trading, Fraud and Dodgy Moves with Warrants, Private Placements ,Capital Increases etc from the Company’s.

Don’t forget in Thailand most Company has no real Interrest to create Wealth for external Shareholders so they use it mostly as an Financial Tool.

It will be more then Difficult to beat the Index ( together with Dividends) so i guess the ETF is o.k for an Beginner.

My Broker told me in Thai Stock Market more then 70% of Retail Investors loose Money...and i guess this Number is maybe even smaller then the Reality....

Stay away from all self appointed Advisors here please! They want to create Wealth for them Self not for others...

Good  free Information you can find at the Facebook Page from Barton’s Asia Charts and as well from  Pon with his Website named Thai Capitalist.com.

P.S  If even the Point that the Thai Index is  with actual 1600 Points more or less at the same level like 25 Years ago...????... I can recommend following Brokers ( all from own experience) ASP, Bualuang and KTZMICO are the best here in my view. 

The Research is good and in English as well, the Fees are low and at least KTzmico and ASP have/ had  no Minimum Fee .

Archived