Ho Chi Minh - ED Visa with stamp VOID

Hi All, 

been reading the forum for years but never needed to post.

So I had all the correct paperwork from TEWI school in Bangkok to get my ED visa and start language school. I made sure to check it all and the school did the same.

Then after submission I got my visa back with a fresh ED sticker in the passport with the stamp VOID accross it.

This same situation occured to another student from the same school within a few days of each other both at Ho Chi Minh

Ive recently been in thailand for 6 months .... 2 x Tourist visas with 30 day extensions from Chaeng Wattana. I decided I want to learn the language and stay for longer. With this in mind I dont think I would be accepted at the airport with a 30 day exemption

Ho chi minh refused to give ANY reason what so ever regarding the reason for VOID stamp.

Can anyone recommend what I should do next? Should I get a new passport? Should I go to another country and try again? Does this VOID stamp mean that I have a bad mark against my name? Ive a clean immigration record, have never over stayed, had any troubles or immigration issues in the past.

Some reasurance from some of you experts would be great at the moment.

Thanks in advance

I just checked their website, it says 180 hours over a year?

Afaik the official minimum requirement for an Ed visa are 15 hours per week which would be about 800 per year (maybe minus holidays).

So it could be that they don't issue you the visa because you are not going to study enough hours to qualify for one.

Which embassy / consulate did the school recommend to get the visa?

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I just checked their website, it says 180 hours over a year?

Afaik the official minimum requirement for an Ed visa are 15 hours per week which would be about 800 per year (maybe minus holidays).

So it could be that they don't issue you the visa because you are not going to study enough hours to qualify for one.

Which embassy / consulate did the school recommend to get the visa?

when i reported to them today that I got the void. They recommended that one of their students has just been accepted via the embassy in Penang. I dont want to go to any school that is "dodgy" or cheating. Do you think it would be better for me to start again with a school that is owned by a university or similar?

9 minutes ago, mrfil said:

when i reported to them today that I got the void. They recommended that one of their students has just been accepted via the embassy in Penang. I dont want to go to any school that is "dodgy" or cheating. Do you think it would be better for me to start again with a school that is owned by a university or similar?

I couldn't find any official source, you should maybe contact the ministry of education what their official rules say, to know if you are ok or not.

In some older posts i found people (including Ubonjoe) saying 8 hours per week or 400 per year, but i don't know for sure if this is still the current requirement.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I couldn't find any official source, you should maybe contact the ministry of education what their official rules say, to know if you are ok or not.

In some older posts i found people (including Ubonjoe) saying 8 hours per week or 400 per year, but i don't know for sure if this is still the current requirement.

thanks so much for your help. Ill get someone inside thailand to call to the m.o.e and check it out.

Just now, juice777 said:

Just a suggestion but why don't you just get Tourst Vias and just pay for the School?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

can you explain "pay for the school" ? and also will they issue me with a tourist visa here after they already marked the VOID? And would that be accepted at the airport. Thanks in advance

I studied from 1pm to 3pm Monday to Friday. Never had any problems, only on re-entry once, when I was coming back to Thailand after three nights in Beijing, which I had to visit since it’s the closest city where my embassy is. I had to apply for a new passport and I wasn’t able to do that in China. Immigration questioned me coz I had few tourist visas before. But they let me go since I had all the proof that I am studying and I do speak read and write quite good in Thai.
I wanted to have less hours a week, but my school told me that if I do study less than 15h a week, my skills won’t be good enough to pass MOE tests and immigration won’t issue me further visas.
The school I am studying at do not cut corners and prep documents properly also advising everyone to attend required hours in order to avoid unexpected visa issues.
There are those who offer less hours, but it seems this doesn’t work anymore and more student visa holders get problems just because of not enough hours stated in papers.
But maybe there is more to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

can you explain "pay for the school" ? and also will they issue me with a tourist visa here after they already marked the VOID? And would that be accepted at the airport. Thanks in advance

Just get tourist Visa like a lot of people do and pay to go to A Thai language School. If you do actually want to learn the language. I don't think you actually need a ED visa to to school.I thought about this myself a few Year's ago because the ED visa just seemed to completed and to many problems and I heard it looks bad in your passport.But I decided I didn't want to go to school at my age.

• Like 1

Just get tourist Visa like a lot of people do and pay to go to A Thai language School. If you do actually want to learn the language. I don't think you actually need a ED visa to go To school.I thought about this myself a few Year's ago because the ED visa just seemed to completed and to many problems and I heard it looks bad in your passport.But I decided I didn't want to go to school at my age.Try to get a Tourist Visa you might be all right depending how many you have had you will need a flight out of the country and I think you need to prove you have money in the Bank.I am sure someone else will let you know.if that don't work try Loas Savannakhet if they haven't changed things in the last year all you need is a cheap ticket out the country and a bank statement with 20000 Thai bhat in it.I had about 6 in a row there no problems.I know it's hard work but I think that is best solution for you for now if you can't get a ED Visa in Vietnam.

30 minutes ago, juice777 said:

Actually that sounds like a better option I didn't know that.

You don't need a ED Visa to study Thai - you can study on any type of Visa

If you have a Thai child you need to explore the visa options for that - i'm sure people here will be able to help you out

I hope you can sort it out.

Next week I will go to the consulate in Saigon too, also for ED visa.

My school informed me last week, that Hanoi makes problems now (does not issue many ED visas) and Saigon requires new documents which is why they now change a lot of my documents; maybe about that what you described.

The problem might be that the consulates might be fed up. In the past, every school suggested you to get all paper-work done within Thailand and then visit an embassy in the neighboring country. Same issue with the SETV. 

They are now apparently enforcing the rule (even if there is no law) that people should apply in their home countries. I for myself don`t have a problem, as I fly home to Europe twice per year. But I understand that there are many people who don`t do that. So HCM/KUL etc are their only possibilities. 

Let them continue like that. It`s totally stupid to weaken the economy even more with those decisions. It`s an absolute NO GO to void an ED visa like in that case. Sure, there have been and are quite some guys exploiting the system. But the solution is to work on the regular tests/questioning and NOT just voiding randomly without any reason.

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, mrfil said:

Fair enough, im just extremely stressed. My little boy is there in Thailand and we were all looking forward to me being able to read and write. 

I very much enjoyed teaching my kids to read and write in English. Not to be curt but I think you would be better off teaching him English rather than him learning Thai. I think you will find a lot more people understand English outside of Thailand than they do Thai.

I too had a void stamp at HCMC. There were two other people picking their Ed-visa up, and we all had to wait despite being in front of the line. I'm not sure if theirs were voided as well, but I'd be willing to bet it was. 

Apparently, the embassies are changing the requirements, my school initially said to go to HCMC, but then sent me an email telling me not to go there after I had already submitted my documents

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, mrfil said:

there is no misuse. I want to study and have completed correctly all the required documentation as advised.

Again, I applied for a 60 day single entry and extended it via the official channels in Chaeng Wattana and was welcomed. I have not broken any rules or done anything wrong. I followed the advise of the immigration officers

Please elaborate and actually offer some advise rather than a flippant coment.

Welcome to the club.

- From Cambodia