Reset Win10 folders?

toast1

My folders are messed up, after I tried to change the settings for Skype downloads.

How Both Desktop and Downloads say 'Downloads' and I can't get to the downloads folder.

I've tried resetting them using Explorer, view, reset folders, but they remain faulty.

Is there any other way to reset folders in Explorer?

Thanks

The description of your problem is not clear.  Can you possible post a picture that shows an error message or shows "Both Desktop and Downloads say 'Downloads'"?

When you say reset do you mean rename?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, toast1 said:

Thanks

That helped, but Desktop is still called Downloads, after I tried to get Skype to download to desktop

ANy ideas on how to change this file name?

Thanks

How on earth did you manage to do that??!!

How Both Desktop and Downloads say 'Downloads' and I can't get to the downloads folder.

Are you saying that you see these two entries in File Explorer?

C:\Users\your_username\Downloads

C:\Users\your_username\Downloads

This is technically impossible, so there is something going on under the hood that allows the system to distinguish one from the other.

I recall I had a similar problem back in Win7 days.  In my research I learned there was some special kind of link that was used under the C:\Users directory, different from the standard Win shortcut .  It was messy, having to do with UAC permissions, etc.  If you have the patience you may want to look in that direction.

Personally I'd say do a complete backup of your C:\ drive (and verify it!) and then use the Win installation utility to repair your system.  I did this back when I was running Win7,  I think had I messed things up by playing around with performance optimizers, registry compressors, etc.  I was quite impressed by the results: CPU usage dropped to single digits afterwards, whereas it was idling at around 20% beforehand, execution was definitely faster, and the weirdness under C:\Users was healed.  If you don't like the results you can restore from the backup. 

Or just learn to live with the present glitch.

Edited by bendejo

1 hour ago, toast1 said:

Perhaps true.

I'm using Win10, which I'm happy with, but trying to rename a folders for downloads in Skype caused this, I may just contact MS help

thanks

Thanks

Once again... Screenshot. Don't you know how?

3 hours ago, toast1 said:

Thanks1.png.8f459f58969f89012ecca2a67f1501de.png

What happens when you right click on the one with the arrow, choose Properties, then Location, edit the name from Desktop to Downloads and then click Apply. You also have the option to Restore to Defaults.

18 hours ago, toast1 said:

Hello

I managed to change the name, but not the icon, it shows a down arrow, can't work out how to change this.

Thanks

Why do you want to change the 'arrow'? Arrow is for Downloads, so that should be named Downloads.

The one with the Screen is the one that should be named Desktop.

3 hours ago, toast1 said:

I can't get the icon for desktop

You need to learn to express yourself better.

The icon for Desktop is already shown in your screenshot;

1.png.8f459f58969f89012ecca2a67f1501de.p

It's the lower of the two. So you simply needed to rename the upper one to Downloads, leaving the lower one alone.

• 3 weeks later...