Need Advice On New Retirement Visa

I just found out that the US Consulate is no longer giving letters of proof of income and that I need to have monthly proof of 65,000 coming into a Thai Bank account. My "Retirement Visa" ends at the end of August. I think I understand what I have to do. But I would like advice on the best way of doing it and some factual and real life info. 

First I will get a Thai bank account and start sending at least 65,000 BHT a month to this account out of my monthly pension. I hear I need at least 2-3 months proof of this before I can reapply for a "retirement" visa with some letter of proof from my Thai bank. I will not qualify for an extension of stay for retirement purposes until I have fulfilled those requirements. I think this is correct. 

My question now is this... "Is there a longer than 30 day visa available for me?" When I first came to Thailand 7 years ago I came on a 30 day visa and then had to get a longer visa before getting my first retirement visa. Is that what I need to do now? Do I need to do a border run? Do I need to leave Thailand? Can I get a 30 day or longer visa straight from Immigration and work with them until I have my 3 month of proof of income? 

Thanks.  

The US embassy and consulate not doing the income affidavits was announced in October of last year. The last day they did them was December 31st.

Your only choice appears to be to get a bank account opened and start transfering in the 65k baht from the US as soon as possible.

Then go out for a single entry tourist visa before your extension expires and then apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration after you have done at least one transfer. It can also be done with a 30 day visa exempt entry but you need at least at least 15 days remaining on the 30 days or the 30 day extension it.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry apply for a new one year extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The US embassy and consulate not doing the income affidavits was announced in October of last year. The last day they did them was December 31st.

Your only choice appears to be to get a bank account opened and start transfering in the 65k baht from the US as soon as possible.

Then go out for a single entry tourist visa before your extension expires and then apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration after you have done at least one transfer. It can also be done with a 30 day visa exempt entry but you need at least at least 15 days remaining on the 30 days or the 30 day extension it.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry apply for a new one year extension.

He inquired about the monthly income method however is there a way for him to apply using the 800,000 baht deposit method?

25 minutes ago, Martyp said:

He inquired about the monthly income method however is there a way for him to apply using the 800,000 baht deposit method?

He could but not until he can get a longer stay here since it requires 800k baht in the bank for 2 months do the extension application which is due at the end of this month.

But if he went out for a tourist visa or visa exempt entry it only needs to be in the bank on the date he applies for the non immigrant visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't get the memo about the income affidavit change. I am very lucky that I found out when I did. I just happen to overhear a person complaining about the change when I did my 90 day report in person.  

This info is exactly what I needed. It seems straight forward enough. Definitely I need to do it with the monthly income method. Thanks for setting me straight, UbonJoe

Does anyone know off the top of their heads how much is a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration?

Edited by BizMarkDee
clarity

“You can get a retirement visa from the Thai Embassy in Washington, DC for $200”

That is just the Visa Fee to the Embassy.  One must also factor in the cost of the Medical Exam and now the Livescan Fingerprint Background Check(can be as low as $50).  

Several years ago the total cost for me the Non Imm OA was over $500 and this was when you could walk into your police station and get a Clearance Letter  in a matter of minutes.  Those simple days are now over.  

4 hours ago, Larry7 said:

You can get a retirement visa from the Thai Embassy in Washington, DC for $200.

You need to read the posts before you comment. He is already in Thailand ( 7 years ) so no need  for him to fly all the way back to USA for a visa of any kind.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, BizMarkDee said:

I didn't get the memo about the income affidavit change. I am very lucky that I found out when I did. I just happen to overhear a person complaining about the change when I did my 90 day report in person.  

This info is exactly what I needed. It seems straight forward enough. Definitely I need to do it with the monthly income method. Thanks for setting me straight, UbonJoe

Does anyone know off the top of their heads how much is a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration?

I did pretty much what Ubonjoe recommended.  Came in on a tourist visa from the US which gave me 60 days. I then switched to a non-imm O during the last 30 days.  I have a receipt for 2000 baht from Thai immigration but it is in Thai. I think it was for the non-imm O. During the last 30 days I applied for my retirement extension.  The only difference with my situation is that I had 800,000 already in the bank.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, Chicksaw said:

Does this 800k have to be proven to be transferred from abroad?

Not for a extension of stay application.

It does have to be proven when applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. They want that since there is no requirement to have the money in the bank for 2 months to apply for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2019 at 1:09 PM, BizMarkDee said:

just found out that the US Consulate is no longer giving letters of proof of income and that I need to have monthly proof of 65,000 coming into a Thai Bank account. M

You should sign up with the embassy via their citizen services website so you get emails with occasional information and alerts. much  of it is useless, but sometimes they do send important information such as the announcement regarding income affidavits.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/

https://step.state.gov/step/

Edited by Suradit69